Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Implications on Skipping the Return Leg of a Booking

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your only problem is with checked luggage.

It costs €275 per bag to have it short-checked to Amsterdam. You may be lucky and encounter an agent who doesn't know, but you cannot rely on this, and I think you would be foolhardy to try. I even fell foul of this with a Delta check in agent who resolutely refused to short-check the bag just to AMS. Agents are trained to be on the lookout for this suspicious behaviour.

Note also that sob-stories about needing to get medication/documents/gifts/anything else at AMS will not yield a different result. I have tried. You will be told to repack so that what you need is in your carry-on. In many cases, the short layover will, in any case, obviate any such story about meeting a colleague/friend/family member at the airport in order to hand over something bulky or that can't be carried In the cabin. Going landside, clearing immigration, having your meeting, queuing up to re-check luggage, clearing security [and immigration again, depending on your destination], will all take time that most layovers simply won't allow.

The only reliable way to do what you're doing is to:
a) travel only with hand luggage on the return;
b) ensure that your onward ticket departs on the day AFTER your arrival at Amsterdam [bags can be short-checked when there is an overnight stop at AMS], or
c) ensure that your onward ticket is operated by train or bus [though as you are travelling on a non-partner airline, this clearly cannot be the case for you]

Note also that if you check-in a bag that is tagged to your final destination, and then attempt to have it returned to you at AMS, they WILL require the payment of €275 per bag there. Depending on your story for needing the bag (which may reveal your true intentions regarding travel), they may even attempt a ticket re-price. Additionally, intervening in the baggage system to have your bag re-directed at AMS, when it has been tagged to a different destination, will cause a lot of additional work and will not be gladly received. You can expect a long delay in this situation; I would advise you NOT to plan on being able to catch a flight departing relatively soon after your intended arrival time at AMS in such a scenario.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 8, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old May 8, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mot29
Bumping this thread with a current question -- I've read through the last few pages but it is dated -- wonder if anyone might have more current experiences.
I'm looking at a very good business class fare on KL from eastern Europe to Asia return. Of course you have to fly to AMS from the eastern European city to go to Asia and on the return.
I'd like to just skip the AMS to eastern Europe leg on the return and head back to the US on DL (on a separate ticket).
Note that the AMS to eastern Europe leg is not on KL or AF or any ST member so that leg won't credit to my DL Skymiles account -- posts from early in the thread suggest KL does the same thing (back in 2012).
Anyone have any recent experience with this -- will KL just ignore the missed leg. Not looking for a refund or anything.
Delta generally ignores the skipped last leg unless the flyer is an habitual practitioner, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for any guidance that might be more current.
tom
yes, that’s exactly as you describe. Of course do not check any bag on your return and schedule ample time before your DL flight if it is on the same day.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Irishguy and Goldorak
thanks for you guidance. I almost never need to check bags. This should work out just fine.
And my flight from Asia gets to AMS after all of the flights across the Atlantic have departed so I need to spend the night in Amsterdam anyhow.
tom
Old May 10, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
And my flight from Asia gets to AMS after all of the flights across the Atlantic have departed so I need to spend the night in Amsterdam anyhow.
tom[/left]
As I understood it, your flight from Asia is part of a ticket that includes onward travel to Eastern Europe, on another carrier. This onward flight - the one you want to drop - is most likely departing on the same day that you arrive in AMS. This would be a problem if there was a bag to be checked, as the onward flight on the ticket you will check in with in Asia wouldn't include an overnight layover in Amsterdam.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
As I understood it, your flight from Asia is part of a ticket that includes onward travel to Eastern Europe, on another carrier. This onward flight - the one you want to drop - is most likely departing on the same day that you arrive in AMS. This would be a problem if there was a bag to be checked, as the onward flight on the ticket you will check in with in Asia wouldn't include an overnight layover in Amsterdam.
You understood correctly, but I won't have a checked bag in any case.
In fact, plans have changed. I was going to use the ST SOF-HKG fare as a mileage builder. Instead I put something together US to BUD (found a good fare from DCA where I'm based) combined with the BUD-CTU fare that ST has.
I do appreciate your guidance.
tom
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Your only problem is with checked luggage.

It costs €275 per bag to have it short-checked to Amsterdam. You may be lucky and encounter an agent who doesn't know, but you cannot rely on this, and I think you would be foolhardy to try. I even fell foul of this with a Delta check in agent who resolutely refused to short-check the bag just to AMS. Agents are trained to be on the lookout for this suspicious behaviour.

Note also that sob-stories about needing to get medication/documents/gifts/anything else at AMS will not yield a different result. I have tried. You will be told to repack so that what you need is in your carry-on. In many cases, the short layover will, in any case, obviate any such story about meeting a colleague/friend/family member at the airport in order to hand over something bulky or that can't be carried In the cabin. Going landside, clearing immigration, having your meeting, queuing up to re-check luggage, clearing security [and immigration again, depending on your destination], will all take time that most layovers simply won't allow.

The only reliable way to do what you're doing is to:
a) travel only with hand luggage on the return;
b) ensure that your onward ticket departs on the day AFTER your arrival at Amsterdam [bags can be short-checked when there is an overnight stop at AMS], or
c) ensure that your onward ticket is operated by train or bus [though as you are travelling on a non-partner airline, this clearly cannot be the case for you]

Note also that if you check-in a bag that is tagged to your final destination, and then attempt to have it returned to you at AMS, they WILL require the payment of €275 per bag there. Depending on your story for needing the bag (which may reveal your true intentions regarding travel), they may even attempt a ticket re-price. Additionally, intervening in the baggage system to have your bag re-directed at AMS, when it has been tagged to a different destination, will cause a lot of additional work and will not be gladly received. You can expect a long delay in this situation; I would advise you NOT to plan on being able to catch a flight departing relatively soon after your intended arrival time at AMS in such a scenario.
Last week at checking in at LAX for LAX-AMS-DUS WITH an overnight stay in AMS, the agents gave my daughter a hard time about short checking her luggage to AMS. They reluctantly did it siting medication that can't be carried on.

Is this policy stated anywhere? Because I'm doing the same itinerary tomorrow. TIA.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
Is this policy stated anywhere? Because I'm doing the same itinerary tomorrow. TIA.
General Conditions of Carriage 3.4: https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/cus...iage/index.htm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Last week at checking in at LAX for LAX-AMS-DUS WITH an overnight stay in AMS, the agents gave my daughter a hard time about short checking her luggage to AMS. They reluctantly did it siting medication that can't be carried on.

I recently had no problem short checking my luggage to AMS. I did it two times on the same ticket, for the outbound and inbound flights. In both cases, I had an overnight stay shorter than 24h (so not a stopover).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mfkne
General Conditions of Carriage 3.4: https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/cus...iage/index.htm
That only refers to using the flights in the order they are ticketed. Nothing about the luggage.... unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
I'm assuming you refer to:
(c) If the Passenger does not use all their Flight Coupons and prematurely interrupts their journey, the Passenger will be required to pay a fixed amount, of EUR 275 at Schiphol Airport and at Charles de Gaulle (Paris), in order to be able to retrieve their Checked Baggage.
I hardly see how asking for short-check of baggage on an overnight stay qualifies, I would expect the above to apply in case of PAX arriving at AMS and CDG having their luggage checked all the way through and then ask for it to be retrieved.
BTW given that in AMS you can only drop your bag in the morning of the flight due to "security reasons", I'm surprised they are happy to keep a bag on a connecting flight overnight.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA

Really surprised. As indicated, an overnight stop or moving to train/bus invariably implies your checked luggage will be put on the belt (and if you have a connecting flight the next day you need to check it in again). For the simple reason you will (likely) need stuff from your checked luggage during your overnight stay. Had such schedules a few times and always checked luggage was unloaded and put on the belt during an overnight stop.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, nobody should give you grief for that at all.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Along the same lines - I will arrive from Asia to AMS and instead of flying the last leg the Central Europe on KL 6 hrs later, I'll take a HV flight home (separate ticket) home 2 hrs after the arrival of the long haul.

It seems obvious, that the Asia-AMS leg should be flown hand luggage only, but do the KL and HV systems talk to each other? The HV flight lands before the scheduled departure of the last KL flight, so there are no obvious overlaps.

On a related note - would this 2 hrs be enough to go landside and check a bag for the HV flight and get back to airside? Do HV have mobile b/p?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It seems obvious, that the Asia-AMS leg should be flown hand luggage only, but do the KL and HV systems talk to each other? The HV flight lands before the scheduled departure of the last KL flight, so there are no obvious overlaps.
yes because its the same owner and its possible to travel under same booking with HV/KL and also all details will be passed (like FB id or status)

But in your case , no worries , as both flights are under different bookings

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
On a related note - would this 2 hrs be enough to go landside and check a bag for the HV flight and get back to airside? Do HV have mobile b/p?
Yes 2hours are enough if no issues/delays

HV offer an android app , but i never used it so i cant tell
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
There will be no problem.

But why not book the return flight for a date when he may wish to use it (unless he is genuinely never planning on returning to visit friends and family, ever again!!!). For Christmas, for example?
Interesting thread.

irishguy28 talking of booking longer term returns, any idea how KL view overlapping return tickets? Want to visit family twice a year and looks like only way to have a competitive fare in KL is to do something like the below:

Ticket 1:
AMS - JFK, 10-Jan-2020
JFK - AMS, 15-Aug-2020

Ticket 2:
JFK - AMS, 16-Jan-2020
AMS - JFK, 09-Aug-2020

And there would probably be other tickets for some work trips around Europe in between the two periods.

Any issues with the above scenario from a fare condition perspective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.