Wiki Posts
Search

Implications on Skipping the Return Leg of a Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Any voluntary change to an FB award ticket results in a reprice. As per the T&Cs in force since April, a voluntary change results in the cancellation of the ticket and the issuance of a brand new ticket.

If you want to make a change, you may as well request that the CDG-MUC sector is dropped from your itinerary.
Not a FB ticket so I can make the changes without a reprice.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlin32
If it's an overnight, then they might then let you collect the bags, so it might work. But will depend on what flight schedules are available the next day.
Thanks! Flights gets in at 11am and they have two flights the next day at 7am and 9am which should both be available on my award and within 24hrs so a valid connection.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Overnight stay should indeed make the short-checking allowed. The alternatives, would be to send any luggage you really need to check separately (this is not necessarily very expensive) so that you can travel HBO. If you don't have luggage checked and this is a one off, it is unlikely that anyone would notice that you did not take the last segment.

That said, if you say that whatever airline you booked with is able to change your second leg without cancelling and rebooking the ticket, I am surprised that they are not able to similarly simply cancel them instead.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Overnight stay should indeed make the short-checking allowed. The alternatives, would be to send any luggage you really need to check separately (this is not necessarily very expensive) so that you can travel HBO. If you don't have luggage checked and this is a one off, it is unlikely that anyone would notice that you did not take the last segment.

That said, if you say that whatever airline you booked with is able to change your second leg without cancelling and rebooking the ticket, I am surprised that they are not able to similarly simply cancel them instead.
Aviation is all about offering the right fares. People in general want to fly as direct as possible and are paying a premium for it. So by offering free cancellations of extra segments undermines that business model.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know. Will request them again but apparently a change in routing is cancel and rebooking.

Thanks all
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BobTL
Aviation is all about offering the right fares. People in general want to fly as direct as possible and are paying a premium for it. So by offering free cancellations of extra segments undermines that business model.
This does not seem to be the issue here though.

This is an award ticket, and whilst for paid tickets, there is often a premium to pay for paid nonstop premium itineraries over indirect ones, this is almost never the case with award flights.

More importantly, this is not a cancellation with a change. Typically, when you change a changeable paid ticket, this includes the possibility of changing destinations within flight zones, though this will include paying any difference in fare if applicable. My suggestion here is that with most airline programmes (the OP doesn't specify which FFP is his/hers unless I have missed it so hard to be sure), the same would be true of award tickets, and in this case, unless the FFP bases award costs on paid fares as FB does (but this does not seem to be the case here since the OP says he/she would be allowed to change to a next day connection for free) there would most likely be no difference in fare here.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an award ticket, and whilst for paid tickets, there is often a premium to pay for paid nonstop premium itineraries over indirect ones, this is almost never the case with award flights.

More simply, this is not a cancellation with a change. Typically, when you change a changeable paid ticket, this includes the possibility of changing destinations within flight zones, though this will include paying any difference in fare if applicable. My suggestion here is that with most airline programmes (the OP doesn't specify which FFP is his/hers unless I have missed it so hard to be sure), the same would be true of award tickets, and in this case, unless the FFP bases award costs on paid fares as FB does (but this does not seem to be the case here since the OP says he/she would be allowed to change to a next day connection for free) there would most likely be no difference in fare here.
No difference in points as long as the routing stays the same but if you drop a segment or add one then its a new ticket according to the airline. The taxes change so I guess that's why they need to reissue and refund or add the extra airport fees.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
No difference in points as long as the routing stays the same but if you drop a segment or add one then its a new ticket according to the airline. The taxes change so I guess that's why they need to reissue and refund or add the extra airport fees.
the ticket will need to be reissued anyway, including if you just move the cdg-fra to another same day flight or the next morning one (you wouldn’t be able to fly if they did not réussie the ticket after changing the flights); and taxes would change too - they do every day due to exchange rate fluctuations.

Whichever airline you are dealing with may of course decide that they won’t charge you (or reimburse you) for any difference, but there is really no technical logic that I can think of for what the agent told you. It may absolutely be the policy of the ffp you are dealing with (hard to know in the abstract) but that very much strikes me as their own choice if so.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:32 am

This does not seem to be the issue here though.

More importantly, this is not a cancellation with a change. Typically, when you change a changeable paid ticket, this includes the possibility of changing destinations within flight zones, though this will include paying any difference in fare if applicable. My suggestion here is that with most airline programmes (the OP doesn't specify which FFP is his/hers unless I have missed it so hard to be sure), the same would be true of award tickets, and in this case, unless the FFP bases award costs on paid fares as FB does (but this does not seem to be the case here since the OP says he/she would be allowed to change to a next day connection for free) there would most likely be no difference in fare here.
In the FB there is often a premium to be paid when flying directly. AMS-LAX costs more than XXX-AMS-LAX, minimum 27.000 miles versus 24.000 miles in Y for example.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by BobTL
In the FB there is often a premium to be paid when flying directly. AMS-LAX costs more than XXX-AMS-LAX, minimum 27.000 miles versus 24.000 miles in Y for example.
I agree with you but that's because FB now bases award costs on paid costs hence the disclaimer in my second paragraph which you quote. That said, again, I did not exclude the possibility of any difference in (miles) fare being charged if applicable, what I suggested was that with most FFPs a change within zone can indeed be just that (with any miles difference to be paid if applicable, no problem).

By contrast, here, the OP was told by the person he/she talked to in their airline that it was not possible to change, only to cancel and rebook.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:41 am

Hello all,

I asked this in a different thread but I feel it's better suited for this one.
I booked a SVQ-CDG-TRN roundtrip, and I'm considering not flying the very last leg (CDG-SVQ).

What is my actual risk? Will I be credited for the XP of the legs taken? I will be checked in for that leg since it's part of the return and I'll be flying TRN-CDG.
If it can help, it's a 1 hour connection at CDG and that's below the recommended time (even though it's a 2G-2G).

I've read this thread a bit but can't find a clear-cut answer.
Thanks,
Ben.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume that you won't check bags, otherwise it is a bit problematic.

Basically, there is no clear-cut answer.
If AF was to be nasty, they could reprice the ticket and ask for the difference. Plus they might impose a no-show penalty for the last leg.
In practice they won't do that. But it would be better not to do this segment-skipping very frequently.

Regarding crediting XPs, this is done automatically by the system. You should not get credit for the last leg. Again, AF might get nasty and cancel your TPs or earmark your FB account. But that is extremely unlikely in my opinion.
Benjh likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:57 am

Thanks!
I've never done this before and don't plan on doing it again. I won't check bags.
Would you say it's better to warn them right before I won't make the last leg or to not say anything?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When doing the throwaway flying thing on restricted tickets, I typically don’t tell the airline that I’m no-showing for the onward connecting segments on the ticket; and I would just no-show when checked luggage isn’t involved and would provide the airline no warning about my no-showing.

Originally Posted by Benjh
Hello all,

I asked this in a different thread but I feel it's better suited for this one.
I booked a SVQ-CDG-TRN roundtrip, and I'm considering not flying the very last leg (CDG-SVQ).

What is my actual risk? Will I be credited for the XP of the legs taken? I will be checked in for that leg since it's part of the return and I'll be flying TRN-CDG.
If it can help, it's a 1 hour connection at CDG and that's below the recommended time (even though it's a 2G-2G).

I've read this thread a bit but can't find a clear-cut answer.
Thanks,
Ben.
When I’ve done throw-away ticketing for either the return portion or the final segments on the DL, AF and KL ticketed bookings for AF/KL-operated flights, the flown segments have gotten automatically credited to my DL and other FFP accounts most times. And if they have not, filing a missing mileage credit request has worked for the segments marked as flown.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Benjh
1 hour is certainly not below the "recommended time". An intra-2G connection takes max 10 min from aircraft door to next gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.