Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Implications on Skipping the Return Leg of a Booking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF offers decent fares CDG-AMS-KUL since they sillily stopped their nonstop to KL at the same time MH announced they discontinued all their European flights except LHR.
With the 600 voucher, and praying that he won't be in strike time again, that fare would be unbeatable Unles he can use to for something else.
MH has an unbelievable J fare from LHR to the tune of 1300, but it just stopped. Still good deals though, but you have to buy a seaprate ticket to LHR.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 23, 2017 at 7:04 am Reason: thanks irishguy28
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff_
Yep, he just learned he got the job last week so he missed it unfortunately. Moreover I have around 150k fb miles that I that never know how to use as I only take AF for short hall.
So why not just get him a one-way ticket using your FB miles?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:11 am
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:14 am

Because he is not sure he will find an opportunity to use its voucher after and I am not an expert but I thought departing from CDG award upgrade was better than award ticket given all the surcharges
Award upgrade will not be much cheaper in terms of miles than an award redemption, and of course there is no guarantee there will be availability for an upgrade.

Having said that, if otherwise the voucher expires, probably better to use it ^
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because he is not sure he will find an opportunity to use its voucher after and I am not an expert but I thought departing from CDG award upgrade was better than award ticket given all the surcharges
Oh yeah - sorry - I had forgotten there was a voucher to be used!!!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
He could also buy a one way ticket from outside France, assuming he is based in Paris. Go for a weekend or a day trip to Madrid/Barcelona, fly MAD CDG in AF W, stopover, and when it's time, CDG SIN in AF S premium economy, around 1000 EUR. The voucher can be used, luggage allowance is 2x23 KG (+status benefits), it costs 24000 miles to upgrade to J if available, and it is more comfortable than flying in Y. Separate ticket to KUL, or even by luxury bus.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranskis
He could also buy a one way ticket from outside France, assuming he is based in Paris. Go for a weekend or a day trip to Madrid/Barcelona, fly MAD CDG in AF W, stopover, and when it's time, CDG SIN in AF S premium economy, around 1000 EUR. The voucher can be used, luggage allowance is 2x23 KG (+status benefits), it costs 24000 miles to upgrade to J if available, and it is more comfortable than flying in Y. Separate ticket to KUL, or even by luxury bus.

Not sure why you'd want to reposition to another country, adding an extra unnecessary sector, then book to go to the "wrong" destination, requiring a further extra unnecessary sector, and booking in premium economy when Y is sufficient (based on the OP)?

Given that the guy is emigrating for good, I am not sure a weekend in Madrid is the best way to "end" your time at home!

The voucher is for €600; I think the idea here is just to get to KL without going too much over this (and your quote above exceeds this by €400, without factoring in the cost of the two additional repositioning sectors at each end).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
AF offers decent fares CDG-AMS-KUL since they sillily stopped their nonstop to KL at the same time KL announced they discontinued all their European flights except LHR.
So KLM now only flies between Amsterdam and London and have dropped all their European destinations?

How negligent of them not to alert me that my upcoming s/h flight this weekend has been cancelled!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not sure why you'd want to reposition to another country, adding an extra unnecessary sector, then book to go to the "wrong" destination, requiring a further extra unnecessary sector, and booking in premium economy when Y is sufficient (based on the OP)?

Given that the guy is emigrating for good, I am not sure a weekend in Madrid is the best way to "end" your time at home!

The voucher is for €600; I think the idea here is just to get to KL without going too much over this (and your quote above exceeds this by €400, without factoring in the cost of the two additional repositioning sectors at each end).
Depends on where the OP is based and what his travel plans are. If price, comfort and luggage allowance are important, then better not start in Paris on AF.

CDG SIN KUL is not that much different from CDG AMS KUL. If a trip to a European destination is a possibility for work or personal reasons, combining both trips could make sense to have something reasonably priced and comfortable.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's certainly no work reason to go elsewhere, as the trip is to move for a new job in KUL, and therefore there will no longer be a job in Europe that may require any such travel. And I think most people would prefer to spend their last days/nights prior to emigration with friends and family, rather than on a minibreak to another European city. In my personal experience, the last few days before a permanent departure/emigration are insanely busy. But there's nowt as queer as folk!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
So KLM now only flies between Amsterdam and London and have dropped all their European destinations?

How negligent of them not to alert me that my upcoming s/h flight this weekend has been cancelled!
Good point
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Just to add a data point to this thread, I formally cancelled the return segment of an AF ticket to request any taxes or USCBP user fees I might be able to recoup a few days before I was scheduled to fly. They sent me an email today refusing to refund the taxes, noting that "the applicable fare for the one way transportation used between Washington and Istanbul exceeds the original amount paid for the round trip journey." No mention was made of any debt incurred to the airline by missing the return segment, however - just "respectfully, on this occasion, we must decline your refund request."

This was a deeply discounted business class ticket purchased in the fare war last June for $1100 RT, so it's not surprising in the least bit that whatever figure they would come up with for the one-way journey I flew with them would exceed what I paid for the RT.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Bumping this thread with a current question -- I've read through the last few pages but it is dated -- wonder if anyone might have more current experiences.
I'm looking at a very good business class fare on KL from eastern Europe to Asia return. Of course you have to fly to AMS from the eastern European city to go to Asia and on the return.
I'd like to just skip the AMS to eastern Europe leg on the return and head back to the US on DL (on a separate ticket).
Note that the AMS to eastern Europe leg is not on KL or AF or any ST member so that leg won't credit to my DL Skymiles account -- posts from early in the thread suggest KL does the same thing (back in 2012).
Anyone have any recent experience with this -- will KL just ignore the missed leg. Not looking for a refund or anything.
Delta generally ignores the skipped last leg unless the flyer is an habitual practitioner, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for any guidance that might be more current.
tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.