FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Frankenstorm forced rerouting (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1401719-frankenstorm-forced-rerouting.html)

africanfrog Oct 28, 2012 3:03 am

Frankenstorm forced rerouting

AF cancelled 022 cdg/jfk monday and tell me it is not AF decision but JFK closing things down.
coming from jnb, i have rerouted from af995 to kl552 connecting delta codeshare (kl6031) to.. Boston.. protectivly booked a car in boston.

question is, my fare went from A to M, i am plat, what are the upgrade possibilities on the DL flight?

j

irishguy28 Oct 28, 2012 9:27 am

M class on KLM can be upgraded with miles (dependent on availability).

You can also pay to change your ticket, i.e. pay to upgrade.

But if flights to Boston operate while flights to other points on the East Coast are not running, I think it's fair to assume that those flights that operate will go out full, so you should immediately investigate your upgrading options before all the seats are gone!

Often1 Oct 28, 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 19580046)
M class on KLM can be upgraded with miles (dependent on availability).

You can also pay to change your ticket, i.e. pay to upgrade.

But if flights to Boston operate while flights to other points on the East Coast are not running, I think it's fair to assume that those flights that operate will go out full, so you should immediately investigate your upgrading options before all the seats are gone!

+1 - I would be surprised if any UG's are available into the East Coast because any empty premium seats are being held for distressed pax holding premium tix in the first place.

orbitmic Oct 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I would go even further than others and suggest that downgrades are probably more likely than upgrades in such an event (i.e. some J being reaccommodated in W or Y, some Y not being able to fly at all etc).

dd1612 Oct 29, 2012 12:17 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 19581966)
I would go even further than others and suggest that downgrades are probably more likely than upgrades in such an event (i.e. some J being reaccommodated in W or Y, some Y not being able to fly at all etc).

Looks like it will take 4-6 days for TATL flights East Coast USA-Europe-East Coast USA to revert back to normal, after Sandy hits!

Expect FULL flights or VDB or IDB situations as folks get onto non-east coast USA flights.

pilatusguy Oct 29, 2012 2:09 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see BOS flights cancelled too (LX just cancelled theirs)...

orbitmic Oct 29, 2012 2:33 am

Originally Posted by pilatusguy (Post 19584280)
I wouldn't be surprised to see BOS flights cancelled too (LX just cancelled theirs)...

You are not getting the brownie point for insight on that one ;) : AF announced yesterday that they cancelled all flights to IAD, JFK and BOS today.

To confirm my earlier suggestion that downgrades were more likely than upgrades for those affected, AF are planning to use different planes than scheduled on several flights to increase capacity, but in all bar one exception, these planes have far more Y seats than the original but even fewer P, and J seats than the original. I hope everyone makes it/makes it back safely.

pilatusguy Oct 29, 2012 7:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 19584316)
You are not getting the brownie point for insight on that one ;) : AF announced yesterday that they cancelled all flights to IAD, JFK and BOS today.

next time! ;)

africanfrog Oct 29, 2012 7:49 am

indeed Bos plan didnt work....!
writing from the lounge at ams... this feels like a mileage run actually... when i found out last night the KL flight from JNB was 3 hours late and i would mis the BOS flight, i reverted to AF995 to cdg.. shower terminal F, asked at the lounge "R u sure the ams/bos flight is going?" yes yes.. so i fly to AMS...
as I land, i get am email.. Delta flight to Bos has been cancelled, i have been rerouted Tuesday CDG/Dublin/BOS.
not.. thx to expflyer, working with the very patient lady at the klm lounge desk, we found seats of AF22 tuesday morning for jfk... so the are bringing me back down to paris on 4pm flight for the night and said i should get accomodation at cdg. things could be worse i guess.. my boss in NY bets i wont make it till Friday. stay tuned! all this to say at this point an upgrate op up points or cash is not really a priority!
;)

brunos Oct 29, 2012 8:01 am

Good luck africanfrog.
It is not obvious that NY airports will be open Tuesday. In part because the staff might be asked to stay at home.
That being said, we are used to much bigger typhoons in HKG and the airport closes only when necessary. NY has been extra cautious regarding flights.

dd1612 Oct 29, 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by africanfrog (Post 19585254)
indeed Bos plan didnt work....!
writing from the lounge at ams......things could be worse i guess.. my boss in NY bets i wont make it till Friday. stay tuned! all this to say at this point an upgrate op up points or cash is not really a priority!
;)

Your boss may end up being right!

It is looking pretty bad for NYC if Sandy comes in with the force estimated.
It is expected that at least there will be no flights out of JFK or EWR on Tuesday as it stands now.

I would be very surprised if the airport opens before Wednesday. And this is before we know what damage is inflicted on NYC.

3Cforme Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by africanfrog (Post 19585254)
i have been rerouted Tuesday CDG/Dublin/BOS.
;)

Unless you have a desire to kill time in DUB, let me suggest you just stay in Paris. BOS may be closed even beyond JFK, and the storm may cause widespread flooding such that you wouldn't want to be driving soon after, anyway.

africanfrog Oct 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Greetings from cdg holiday inn hotel!!!! The saga continues. Quite entertaining by now I have to say! Will minutes before boarding the paris flight from ams, I get the dreaded email.... 022 30 oct cancelled.. Stop by the desk, should I stay or should I go, like if you guys keep shuttling me around like that as a non rev, it will get expensive! " no pb sir... I just got you a seat on 010 ex cdg tomorrow afternoon... So yes go to paris "

And here I am... Upon landing... Dreaded SMS...... Your flight 010... Has been..... Delayed.... Pffff... Ok.... Well I guess that is an improvement on the moral level....
For the story I had checked in a bag at jnb... Asked ams to intercept... No bag in paris... Except ad luggage people located it in a pile of us bound refugees parcels... And extracted it... In the meantime, whistl at the terminal f counter I ask for a hotel voucher, I am told 1 Monsieur zis iz not our fault... It iz. Zee hurricane... I apologized 20 minutes later for my 8 year old tantrum, but.. Here i am, in a fine little hotel in a very boring part of france, with a glass of pouilly fume... Merci af, guess loyalty like some relationships does have its privileges.... Waiting for tomorrow..... Stay tuned... Ps: for some reason I went from a to m to y down to q in my pnr for this flight.....

dd1612 Oct 29, 2012 8:22 pm

You have a better chance of getting a flight out of AMS to the USA.
There are approx 15-19 flights from AMS to the USA.
From CDG there are lesser number of flights to the USA.
(your objections are noted)

Maybe consider going on KLM .....AMS-ORD .... and then get the shuttle or a regular flight to EWR or JFK. If LGA opens then ORD-LGA shuttle would be the ideal flight.
Travel is going to be a mess for a few days atleast the next 4-5 days!
Grin and bear it!

We are traveling BOM-AMS on Thursday Nov 1, then AMS-ORD-MSP on Nov 3.

The BOM-AMS aircraft flight comes from EWR-AMS-BOM .... waiting to see what aircraft is used.

brunos Oct 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by dd1612 (Post 19589616)
You have a better chance of getting a flight out of AMS to the USA.
There are approx 15-19 flights from AMS to the USA.
From CDG there are a handful only.

Sorry, but this makes no sense.