Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New award structure for intra-European/intra-Caribbean flights

Old Jun 4, 12, 9:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

See Flying Blue News:
For flights within Europe[1], you will no longer pay a separate fuel surcharge[2]. This is now included in all award tickets.

Flying Blue is increasing the availability of award tickets within Europe. This means you will enjoy even more booking options when searching for destinations and flights.

You can still book any Classic Award ticket in Economy starting at the same number of Miles as usual. The number of Miles required for other award tickets has been increased to better reflect the new flexibility and availability as well as the surcharge inclusion.

Discover some of our destinations for your next award flight.
Geneva: From 20.000 Miles, return ticket
Buzzing, cosmopolitan, at the heart of the Alps.Rome: From 25.000 Miles, return ticket
Timeless appeal, fabulous food, classic Italian warmth.London: From 20.000 Miles, return ticket
Funky, traditional, edgy, welcoming
[1] Including North Africa and Israel.
[2] Airport and security taxes still to be paid separately.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 4, 12 at 12:06 pm Reason: brackets added for clarity
Old Jun 4, 12, 9:26 am

i was looking at award tickets within europe and the result is:
30.54€ CDG BUH
29.64€ PAR MIL
29.42€ PAR LON
Old Jun 4, 12, 10:04 am

Programs: Flying Beurk Silver, BA Gold, BD Gold rememberer, A-club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mynameismud View Post
i was looking at award tickets within europe and the result is:
30.54€ CDG BUH
29.64€ PAR MIL
29.42€ PAR LON
This is roughly what you pay with the cash part of BA's all-inclusive award. More expensive for point to point, but equivalent with a connection, so a good thing overall to revalue the intra-European awards that had lost most of their appeal over the time. ^
Old Jun 4, 12, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I phoned Flying Blue. It has been implemented today. The price of an intra-EU award in C has increased significantly, but in Y it is pretty good.

They told me that they will introduce more availability at different rates.

Website should be updated shortly.
Old Jun 4, 12, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This is utterly ridiculous and in truth rather scandalous. Now the cheapest business class award within Europe is THREE TIMES the economy award in miles! These are totally unrealistic levels. So now, CDG-LHR return in business class will cost you an absurd 60,000 miles with AF while it costs you 18,000 on BA with a less miserable service! If we are talking of ATH or TLV, this becomes 90,000 miles return -- or if you need to book flex awards, a toxic 180,000 miles!!!!!!!!!! This is also done without any notice to passengers which I personally find extremely shocking. Very unhappy
Old Jun 4, 12, 2:57 pm

Programs: Flying Beurk Silver, BA Gold, BD Gold rememberer, A-club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
This is utterly ridiculous and in truth rather scandalous. Now the cheapest business class award within Europe is THREE TIMES the economy award in miles! These are totally unrealistic levels. So now, CDG-LHR return in business class will cost you an absurd 60,000 miles with AF while it costs you 18,000 on BA with a less miserable service! If we are talking of ATH or TLV, this becomes 90,000 miles return -- or if you need to book flex awards, a toxic 180,000 miles!!!!!!!!!! This is also done without any notice to passengers which I personally find extremely shocking. Very unhappy
Where did you get this? I certainly didn't see that in the presse release? Did I miss something?

Le nombre minimum de Miles nécessaires pour la réservation d’un billet Prime Classic reste inchangé.
Le nombre de Miles requis pour la réservation d’autres billets primes a été réévalué pour refléter un choix de réservation plus large et plus flexible, et tenir compte de la surcharge carburant.
They told "unchanged" for class award. I thought they were speaking about an increased charge for the "increased inventory" award tickets, not that classic awards were going the way of the dodo and only "increased inventory" at higher prices would appear.

Where is the new chart? If this is a glitch, this is very poor execution of what would have been a good idea, if this is by design...
Old Jun 4, 12, 3:10 pm

Programs: AF Plat. Ba Gold. SPG Plat. HH Diamond. Miles and Smiles Gold. LH Sen
Madness!

Why is FB charging more miles for Europe business class? 75.000 AMS-BCN-AMS and 60.000 AMS-LHR-AMS?!
Eco is still the same?

Did I miss something!?
Old Jun 4, 12, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Very unhappy
Looking at booking a flight in C to ATH ... 90K for a round trip with a classic award. Not happy. I'd rather pay the YQ/YR.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 4, 12 at 3:32 pm
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Freewilly View Post
Why is FB charging more miles for Europe business class? 75.000 AMS-BCN-AMS and 60.000 AMS-LHR-AMS?!
Eco is still the same?

Did I miss something!?
There is a new award scheme in the making. It might be a glitch.
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:10 pm

Madness!

The are crazy...!
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:12 pm

Madness!

And isn't it a good situation when you inform your dear customers about changes?!
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:34 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Richelieu View Post
Where did you get this? I certainly didn't see that in the presse release? Did I miss something?
I just did sample searches. Did about 15 different European routings, three different periods, different dates. The results are systematic on the search engine: C = 3 x Y within Europe (LHR: 10 -> 30 each way, FCO: 12.5 -> 37.5 each way, ATH: 15 -> 45 each way). From his post above, I think JOUY31 has clearly done the same booking attempt on ATH and got the same fares - and reached the same conclusions as me: as he says, I'm not happy and would much rather pay YQ/YR. Similarly, I interpret Gajan's post a bit earlier as confirming the same pattern.

Like you, I would love to believe that it is a glitch and that they have just not loaded the full range of miles-fares for C but I very much doubt it, and as such, I think it sounds like a rather bad joke.

Also note that in the extract you quote, they say 'the MINIMUM number of miles required to book a classic award remains unchanged' while others have been revised. I fear they may be playing with words if by the minimum number of miles they mean the amount for Y (which is indeed unchanged). Again, would love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Richelieu View Post

Where is the new chart?
The charts for awards disappeared from the FB website several years ago, and never reintroduced despite requests. Now they can only be found... on Flyertalk!!
Old Jun 4, 12, 5:07 pm

I just did sample searches. Did about 15 different European routings, three different periods, different dates.
OK. I thought you had seen more information. I confirm what you saw, as I see the same.

The results are systematic on the search engine
I also looked at Economy booking. I am seeing availability everyday for SXB-LHR at various rate (10,000 to 30,000!) in Y. So it seems to fit the bill: while most day are available at 10,000, the regular rate, there are some days with 12,500, 15,000, 20,000 and 30,000. Apparently, the engine can access extended/modulated inventory with increased miles.

Like you, I would love to believe that it is a glitch and that they have just not loaded the full range of miles-fares for C but I very much doubt it, and as such, I think it sounds like a rather bad joke.
With business, on the other hand, I only see 30,000 (and plenty of availability), so I still guess it's not the new basis (I'd expect to see some days without availability).

Also note that in the extract you quote, they say 'the MINIMUM number of miles required to book a classic award remains unchanged' while others have been revised. I fear they may be playing with words if by the minimum number of miles they mean the amount for Y (which is indeed unchanged). Again, would love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
You're reading is as good as mine, unfortunately. But really, 90,000 miles for return CDG/ATH is a joke if this is the new "basis" rate. What would be the point? It's so ridiculous I am giving them a few day to update their systems before jumping to the conclusions. They are on the right track with their handling of Y tickets, why shooting themselves in the foot with ridculous C rates? It's not like it would make the prodct less exclusive...

Last edited by Richelieu; Jun 4, 12 at 5:25 pm
Old Jun 4, 12, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just did sample searches. Did about 15 different European routings, three different periods, different dates. The results are systematic on the search engine: C = 3 x Y within Europe (LHR: 10 -> 30 each way, FCO: 12.5 -> 37.5 each way, ATH: 15 -> 45 each way). From his post above, I think JOUY31 has clearly done the same booking attempt on ATH and got the same fares - and reached the same conclusions as me: as he says, I'm not happy and would much rather pay YQ/YR. Similarly, I interpret Gajan's post a bit earlier as confirming the same pattern.
This is what I am seeing too. I must confess that this was precisely what I feared would happen if they moved to a YQ/YR integrated system: massive increase in redemption rates. Awards have moved from being merely unattractive to being set at a level that only makes sense for people who simply do not know what to do with their miles (a bit like the F ground service redemption mileage level). This is bordering on lunacy.

I fear they may be playing with words if by the minimum number of miles they mean the amount for Y (which is indeed unchanged). Again, would love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic.
The amount for Y is not unchanged as such: the minimum level is unchanged. however, some flights have higher requirements in Y. Ditto for C: levels are variable, but with the minimum level in C being 300% of the minimum level in Y. As far as I can see, the miles required in C can be anything between 300% and 600% of the minimum Y rate. On some flights, CDG-ATH in C can be 90K miles each way.

This is so preposterous that I am not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: