Wiki Posts
Search

New to Flying Blue and disappointed

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat
New to Flying Blue and disappointed

Hello everybody, I am so happy I found this interesting forum as I am so into airlines and love Frequent Flyer Programs.
I have been Lufthansa Senator for 3 or 4 years between 2002-2006 then I changed job and stopped flying.
Now I am back again, working in Amsterdam and commuting to Italy on a weekly basis AMS-LIN-AMS.
Because Frequent Flyer Programs have all changed becoming so hard for cheap flyers like me (as I am paying) I used to fly EasyJet or Ryanair but I did not enjoy flying so much with them (especially being used with Lufthansa before). I am not interested in miles but I saw that Flying Blue allows status upgrades based on segments which is perfect for me!
So, I started to book and fly KLM (or Alitalia) as there are good and frequent connections, both are in SkyTeam and prices are reasonable. This will allow me to get the gold status easily this year so I hopefully be able to benefit some advantages. Being honest I am very attracted to the use of the lounges (like the good old times), I expect my waiting time to be so much more comfortable. I hope I will be recognized and “feel” the difference, as I was used with Lufthansa, but I keep on reading bad comments on this program so I’d like to hear from you if you think I did a mistake.
I must say I am already a bit disappointed because I became silver member one month ago and still do not have my card. I have 21 segments already and flew the last 6 segments with no benefits at all as my new status only appears when I log on to KLM but it is not even printed on my boarding cards. This prevents me from going into the priority lane at check in, or at the security checks in Amsterdam or while boarding.
I asked KLM and they told me to wait because I will receive it. In the meantime I keep on flying as Ivory member. Honestly I already feel mistreated and I am wondering if I took the right choice.
I booked enough flights to get to Platinium this year but I wonder if it’s worth it? What you think?
Old May 4, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Your Silver status should be showing on your bookings when you check in or make reservations. Even if you don't have your card yet, the infos will be there.
If your new status did not show on your boarding passes it's probably because you had booked your flights before reaching the Silver level.

If you reach Platinum level this year you will feel the difference. The Silver level is not worth the trouble really but things pick up with Gold level.
Access to the lounges of course is a big plus, preferred seating as well and every now and then an upgrade to Premium class (no big deal though within Europe)
So keep flying and enjoy
Old May 4, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, you motivated me again! Sometimes I also fly long-haul flight (for instance I go to Mauritius in December for holiday with Air France) and once a year I go to US

Yes I booked all my flights already as I fly on a regular basis and this also allows me to get cheap rates.
Unfortunately the boarding card after check in still says "Ivory" and the only way for me to prove that I am silver is to exhibit the card which I still have not received.
I'll just be patient and wait to get it.
Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
You should call KLM and for each booked reservation, ask them to remove and then re-enter your FF number. The silver status will then be reflected in the system. Unless you do this, you'll continue to show as silver on all flights.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
For bookings already made before you were silver ask the agent to remove the number and re-enter it as this will update your status in the system to your correct level. Your status will be updated to silver.

On your FB profile you have the option to print a copy of your card which can help.

Gajan

Last edited by Gajan; May 5, 2012 at 3:02 am Reason: Addition
Old May 4, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys! This Forum is so much better than any KLM assistant!

Ok I will wait until I get to GOLD at segment 30 and call them asking to do this. Otherwise I will have to call them again.
In the meantime I will try to see if it works by printing my card from the KLM site.
Old May 4, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
In outstations, having Silver/Elite printed on your BP might be better than the printed card for recognition so if you still have quite a few segments before Gold, you should re-add your number now already.
The card can take a looooooooooooooong time to be delivered!
Old May 4, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

This is just confirming that KLM has low attention to its customers:

1. How is it possible that I see the silver status when I log on and I don't see it printed on the boarding card?

2. How is it possible that it takes months to receive the card?

3. How is it possible that I have asked this twice in Amsterdam airport at KLM assistants and nobody has been able to fix this problem?

I am actually more concerned when I get gold in about 4 weeks from now. If I am denied the access to the longues because of this, I will not be happy at all. I really hope they can fix this when I call them.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Better fight for FB Platinum or stop at FB gold and start MilleMiglia?

I keep on reading that there is hardly any difference between FB GOLD and PLAT.

I don’t care much about miles, I am more interested in the status and the access to lounges and other benefits like that. In 2012 I am going to fly about 90 economy international segments, almost all between Amsterdam and Milan either with KLM or Alitalia.

I will soon have flown 30 segments which will allow me to get the GOLD status in Flying Blue.

My question is now, should I keep on adding segments to reach PLAT level in FB or should I start up the MilleMiglia program and start accumulating segments there? I will need 60 segments in MilleMiglia to get GOLD and I can make it before the end of 2012, does it make sense?
Old May 4, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I hardly see the interest you may have to start accumulating miles from scratch in a new skyteam FFP. You should continue with FB and reach platinum. You will have the 100% bonus mile. Regarding more differentiation between gold and plat, let's hope for the best after the AF CDG DO (AF is thinking on how to increase the differentiation and we made some suggestions)

Last edited by Goldorak; May 5, 2012 at 7:48 am
Old May 4, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am not familiar with AZ program and it could offer some benefits over FB. Some more informed poster could help you, probably on AZ forum as few here seem familiar with their program.
I see no real advantage of Plat over Gold. The major one is the soft landing to Gold if you stop flying the route you mentioned.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Bronze, LH FQTV
IMHO if AFKL ends up buying AZ, FB will be the only FFP (Alitalia is already included in BlueBiz), so I would stay with FB.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by justcallmedoc
IMHO if AFKL ends up buying AZ, FB will be the only FFP (Alitalia is already included in BlueBiz), so I would stay with FB.
What if Alitalia ends up buying Air France?
Old May 5, 2012, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot folk!
I believe I am going to fly at least another 60 to 100 segments also in 2013 (and probably 2014 as well) so there will be no problem to keep my gold status in FB.
However I agree with you that it might make no sense to start up a new FFP with Alitalia when I can get Plat in FB.
The decision to continue escalating to plat would be so much easier if there were nice advantages from GOLD to PLAT. For example why don't they introduce a free gold card for the partner when you get plat? Or 2 upgrade vouchers or things like thais that you find in all other FFPs?
Very strange to me!

Originally Posted by Goldorak
AF is thinking on how to increase the differentiation and we made some suggestions
Really? What are they thinking of do you know? Also, are they really listening to your suggestions, can you really affect their decisions?

Last edited by Gajan; May 5, 2012 at 3:02 am Reason: Merge posts
Old May 5, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The system for the BP reflects the status you had when the flight was booked (could be an advantage ). Simply removing and then input your number updates the status to the current.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.