Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy Transatlantic Fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Crazy Transatlantic Fares

Anyone else a bit shocked at how much an economy ticket is costing to the US right now?

I've a reservation on hold for DUB to JFK dep April 30, returning May 15 for €740.

Now I know oil prices are up yada yada yada, but that is the cheapest skyteam fare I can see at the moment.

It is also €130 more expensive than the cheapest fare with another airline. It is as if there is no desire to be competitive on price. Makes it tough to give ones business to skyteam.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:11 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Why would one charge less if prices across all airlines are going up? Remember that these cheap economy fares that you are referring to hardly make up the costs of operating the flight. Now they are at least able to make a small profit
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:25 am

It seems like you are considering the 740 fare. Why would they need to lower the fare if people (you) are willing to pay it?

I would go with the 610 fare. Both seem like good deals for Europe to USA.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: DL FO
It is more expensive than the bottom price but it is not exagerated. More than 900€ for a mid-season ticket would be, IMO.
If you are looking for tickets 15 days in advance, most of the cheapest fare buckets are gone. If you buy your return ticket aroud 500€, the airline is loosing money on your seat. It is quite expensive to make an aircraft flying with all airports taxes (for ground operations, they are included in the base fare).

Are you flying non-stop? Is the cheapest option non-stop? There is a lot of factor that influence a plane ticket. Big computers are running at the airline to do so.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
I've a reservation on hold for DUB to JFK dep April 30, returning May 15 for €740.

Now I know oil prices are up yada yada yada, but that is the cheapest skyteam fare I can see at the moment.
There is a slightly cheaper (and direct) Skyteam option...

Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
[QUOTE=irishguy28;18385670]There is a slightly cheaper (and direct) Skyteam option...

Thanks for your help. Have rebooked so we're now down to €720
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I want to give business to AF on my BOS-CDG weekend trips, but with AC/*A at 700$ vs ST at 1200$ this summer it's not going to happen.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is a slightly cheaper (and direct) Skyteam option...

The lowest fare bracket available is T. T is available outbound but not inbound on 15th. L is available so total fare is EUR 684.20.

If OP can return one day earlier, one books in U and fare drops to EUR 642.20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.