The Avis Accumulator is back

Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Right, that's it, I've had enough. I'm out of here. I have canceled the remaining 3 rentals, and made other arrangements for those periods (such as taking a Scottish CityLink bus at one point!~)

Needless to say, the 3rd rental posted as above, with no bonus. So I really can't be bothered any more with this rubbish. Was there no feedback from Flying Blue, if this thread was sent to them? It really is false advertising, this promotion, and something should be done about it.

I am happy for those for whom it all worked out ok, like mine did last year, hope you get to the end with no further nonsense.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I wrote to FB and they finally have replied and said that its nothing to do with them but to report missing miles, I have to write to FB /Avis department directly with AVIS.

On the website, it doesn't allow you to indicate that the missing miles are the bonuses and not the initial mileage credit which have been posted.

So they reply that the miles have already been posted when you fill in the 'missing miles' form!

that's exactly what I've said a zillion times.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I may say so, I still believe that any slight change to the reservation somehow kicks out the promotion. That includes such things, such as I did this Summer, as adding an extra driver, putting in the wrong station for car return, and forgetting to put the correct times in and leaving the pickup and dropoff as 09h00. Adding a day or buying an upgrade will kick it out too, I believe. I rigidly paid attention to this last year, and had very few problems (just the 3rd rental which was quickly sorted out). This year, I made quite a few mistakes and changes.

The other thing is, my Silver status commenced much later than planned, because of those stupid Air Europa flights not crediting. So that has probably also screwed up my participation in it, and the fiddling about trying to get it all sorted out is just not worth the effort, in my opinion. I just have better things to spend my time on, such as music practice and score preparation!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The sad thing about this promo is that apparently FB has nothing to do with it and that all communication must be between you and AVIS. I managed to write to someone about this and between the first few emails, she apologised and said that the miles will post accordingly and that she would even drop 2000 extra miles as troubles I had encountered. Then FB told her that they have already given me 28500 miles.. (neglecting to tell her that this was for last year's promo), and then her tune changed. She then said that since I have already been given 28500 miles, the 2000 bonus miles will now not stand, and that for future problems, that I should contact FB directly ! Does she not know that FB will refer us back to her?

I have not heard from her since our last email. Avis/FB has since credited me properly for the last 3 rentals. I'm on my forth this weekend, followed by the fifth and sixth next week. So will see if this post automatically.

I've also gone and booked all rentals on the US site cos the shitey UK site is useless and so so slow, if it ever works at all.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
If I were the partner-program manager at Flying Blue, I'd consider suing Avis for not respecting the contract and kick them out, and go public with it too... It would look suitably bad for Avis and it would be a way for FB to show they take their frequent flyer community serious. Oh and obviously they could motivate BA to do the same.

last year I spent almost 4k Euros with Avis during their promo period and I had to move heaven and earth to get the bonus miles posted. All very frustrating. Anyway. In the end I voted with my feet.

Last edited by Zembla; Sep 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're absolutely right. I think Avis utterly suck and don't give a toss about the customer. They're quite happy to randomly add extra charges to already paid rentals (in one case CHF33 extra which was some forgotten vehicle licensing fee, so they said) and it really pisses me off the way they add a EUR15 charge for any traffic fines in Germany. Mostly dreadful service, and really totally rubbish quality cars for such high prices in Europe (at least in the US you get real cars).

For me, it feels like a sort of prostitution they way I am renting with them to benefit from this promotion. Friends and family just look at me, and some say "why do you bother? Are 50,000 Air France miles, assuming you get them, really worth it?"
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
If I may say so, I still believe that any slight change to the reservation somehow kicks out the promotion. That includes such things, such as I did this Summer, as adding an extra driver, putting in the wrong station for car return, and forgetting to put the correct times in and leaving the pickup and dropoff as 09h00. Adding a day or buying an upgrade will kick it out too, I believe. I rigidly paid attention to this last year, and had very few problems (just the 3rd rental which was quickly sorted out). This year, I made quite a few mistakes and changes.
I'm not so sure about that, a car broke down in South Africa and was replaced by a station along the route, that rental just posted together with the bonus.
That was my 6th bonus so yes it worked better this year, but not perfect because I had 7 rentals and this problem with the 7th
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18742500-post38.html
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you're right, it's not all bad..and there are even good things about Avis sometimes, which really amaze when they happen. It's just that this stupid promotion has not worked at all for me this year.

I did make a 4th rental, and that promotion has posted as follows:

PROMOTION AVIS 2100
CAR RENTAL AVIS 500

So I reckon I am stuffed on this one. I will send in a polite letter at some point, trying to claim for the others, but I don't expect it will work out.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Concerto
You're absolutely right. I think Avis utterly suck and don't give a toss about the customer. They're quite happy to randomly add extra charges to already paid rentals (in one case CHF33 extra which was some forgotten vehicle licensing fee, so they said) and it really pisses me off the way they add a EUR15 charge for any traffic fines in Germany. Mostly dreadful service, and really totally rubbish quality cars for such high prices in Europe (at least in the US you get real cars).

For me, it feels like a sort of prostitution they way I am renting with them to benefit from this promotion. Friends and family just look at me, and some say "why do you bother? Are 50,000 Air France miles, assuming you get them, really worth it?"
Im sorry, I find this promo to be rubbish to but for the rest AVIS is better then HERTZ i think. I was president circle with HERTZ but AVIS is quicker, nicer and when something is charged extra I had no trouble sorting it out with one phone call and they solved the issue. Almost all rental companys charge a administration fee for traffic fines.

The are slighy more expensive then the other A-brand rental cars indeed!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Im sorry, I find this promo to be rubbish to but for the rest AVIS is better then HERTZ i think.
For me it's a close call between Avis and Hertz when it comes to the quality of rentals and pickup themselves, and all the other ones are left behind in that perspective. But....rubbish promo indeed and it's exactly that what chased me away from Avis for good.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The sad thing about this promo is that apparently FB has nothing to do with it and that all communication must be between you and AVIS.
Interesting. There is a similar 'accumulator' promotion for Avis in the SK EuroBonus FFP. Last year I had some trouble getting my additional points and a series of e-mail messages eventually led to my being told by AVIS that they had nothing to do with it and all communication must be between me and EuroBonus! And in the end it was EB that sorted out the problem.

cheers,

Henry
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by henry999
Interesting. There is a similar 'accumulator' promotion for Avis in the SK EuroBonus FFP. Last year I had some trouble getting my additional points and a series of e-mail messages eventually led to my being told by AVIS that they had nothing to do with it and all communication must be between me and EuroBonus! And in the end it was EB that sorted out the problem.

cheers,

Henry
Miles are big business, and have nothing to do with a favor.

At the DO the FB representatives explained that partners are under contractual obligation with FB. Guess that's why it sometimes works when you go to FB for missing partner miles. It did work for me last year. It doesn't mean that they are responsible, it's the partner who is under contractual obligation to provide the miles. It is in the interest of FB that the miles post, after all the partner is paying for the miles!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henry999

cheers,

Henry
My experience was exactly the opposite

from last year

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
any news?
I contacted Eurobonus, they told me that it was AVIS responsibility to sort this out, I contacted AVIS they didn't have much clue but said they would get back to me, but haven't.
However, as far as I understand from the 4th and subsequent rentals i.e 5th, 6th, 7th you'll get 2000 points for each rental, so it is not limited to only 4 rentals

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Finally, after 2 months and 5-6 phonecalls to AVIS

Avis Frequency Bonus 500 PTS

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16571701-post14.html

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Sep 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

On a different note, has anyone ever received a complimentary upgrade based on their FB status?
I mean a real upgrade, Avis might call a Fiesta an upgrade if you've bookeda Polo.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Just when we thought it was all over...

A new Avis Flying Blue promo!

Earn Triple Miles

Book before the 30th November and earn Triple Miles with Avis each time you rent.

Terms and Conditions:

Valid for bookings made - 1st September 2012 - 30th November 2012.
Valid for rentals taking place - 1st October 2012 - 30th November 2012.

The promotion is only valid for rentals of 3 days or more.
The promotion is only valid for car C group or above.

bottom of the page
http://production.rent-at-avis.com/a...and_Conditions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.