AF and EY partnership from 28 October 2012

Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Orbitmic is right as usual. Furthermore, even for paid tickets AF does not sell business class on its AUH-connecting codeshare (e.g. AF3814), only economy class. You can buy Biz on AF code CDG-AUH, but you will be seated in Y if you connect to MLE. If they do not offer paid C, they will not offer award in C.

Another point is that one must understand how these "connecting" codesharing usually work. You can buy on AF codeshare CDG-AUH-MLE, but you cannot buy an AF ticket on just the connection AUH-MLE. Just like a JL pax can buy a NRT-CDG-NCE on JL stock but not a CDG-NCE. Or one can buy on AF stock CDG-HND-CTS but not HND-CTS. I would strongly doubt that one can get an AF award for just the AUH-MLE.

And I agree with posts above that the AF-AB codeshare does not seem operational yet. This is strange as we are two months past the official date.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
Furthermore, even for paid tickets AF does not sell business class on its AUH-connecting codeshare (e.g. AF3814), only economy class.
Which, incidentally, is pathetic! Mind you considering that people would obviously compare the two J products and reach very predictable conclusions, part of me can't blame AF for not codesharing on EY in J
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Orbitmic is right as usual. Furthermore, even for paid tickets AF does not sell business class on its AUH-connecting codeshare (e.g. AF3814), only economy class. You can buy Biz on AF code CDG-AUH, but you will be seated in Y if you connect to MLE. If they do not offer paid C, they will not offer award in C.
Hm, I am able to get AUH-MLE on AF codeshare via AMS (not sure if this is specific for the days I chose):

Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by VladQ
Hm, I am able to get AUH-MLE on AF codeshare via AMS (not sure if this is specific for the days I chose):

I was looking at January as some family members wanted to go to Maldives this month. But starting in February, AF is indeed starting to offer C seats on AUH-MLE. I guess that the agreement is progressively implemented.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Let's hope the Etihad influence on AFKL is as positive as the one on Air Berlin: Air Berlin announced that it will throw out its longhaul Business seat after just one year to replace it by the Etihad model ^^^^

Of all the ME carriers' Business class seats, the Etihad seat is among the best (I slightly prefer the EK A380 one, but all other EK ones are not as good; the new QR 787 is also quite nice, but still I prefer EY).

But that is dreaming, isn't it? And yes, I know, EY actually *owns" a big chunk of AB.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Let's hope the Etihad influence on AFKL is as positive as the one on Air Berlin: Air Berlin announced that it will throw out its longhaul Business seat after just one year to replace it by the Etihad model ^^^^

Of all the ME carriers' Business class seats, the Etihad seat is among the best (I slightly prefer the EK A380 one, but all other EK ones are not as good; the new QR 787 is also quite nice, but still I prefer EY).

But that is dreaming, isn't it? And yes, I know, EY actually *owns" a big chunk of AB.
No harm in dreaming a bit, it would indeed be very nice!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I can see AF coded flights to SEZ via AUH, which is good. Available for purchase but obviously not (yet?) for awards.

I was wondering whether an AF-issued J ticket on EY gave you the chauffeur drive as well

Does anyone know?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Junior_2J&K
I can see AF coded flights to SEZ via AUH, which is good. Available for purchase but obviously not (yet?) for awards.

I was wondering whether an AF-issued J ticket on EY gave you the chauffeur drive as well

Does anyone know?
Good to see these creep into the system but curious why you say "obviously" for awards. Not obvious to me at all. Other code shares work fine for awards
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
AF and EY partnership from 28 October 2012

Well from reading the press releases I assumed redemptions would be part of a second phase. But even though I would like them to be possible for code shares on EY, I was not particularly optimistic about it at this stage. Hence the "obviously"!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
EY will start service to AMS from May 15 using A332 aircraft. KLM will increase their own AUH frequency to daily.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold, AF Plat and other minors
Hi all,

I am still confused with this partnership. i cant find informaiton on Flyingblue website (no surprise) and dont even mention Etihad as partner.

So, here is my question to you.

On ITA matrix, I can now see possiblity to fly with Etihad ticket with a combo KLM flight+ Etihad. AMS-AUH-CMB, the first one AMS-AUH with KLM and second with Etihad.

The booking class is W with Etihad. (business)

how can translate it in flying blue? is it level miles? award miles? should it be issued by KLM or Etihad is fine?

and why FB doesnt publish the rules?

Thanks all for your help,

aad665
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Etihad is NOT YET a Flying Blue partner. That is why there is no information on Etihad on the Flying Blue websites.

At the moment, Etihad is ONLY A CODESHARE PARTNER of Air France and of KLM, and only on a limited number of routes.

If you buy a ticket from Etihad, and all the flights have EY codes, then YOU WILL NOT EARN MILES IN FLYING BLUE, even if some of those flights are actually operated by either Air France or KLM. It is expected that Etihad will become a Flying Blue partner at some stage in the future, but we don't know when. Depending on when your flights will take place, EY may by then be a Flying Blue partner and some/all of those EY-coded flights may earn for you, but there is no way of knowing, and I certainly wouldn't expect it (given how slow the "partnership" appears to be progressing).

It is most likely that EY-coded flights will only earn Award Miles, not Level Miles, and earning will probably only occur on a limited number of routes. (Again, we won't know this for sure until such time as Etihad becomes a Flying Blue partner airline).

If you want to earn both Level and Award Miles, be sure to buy the flights from Air France and/or KLM so that all flights have an AF or KL code (where available - not sure if AF and/or KL will sell you flights on EY services where there is not [yet] an AF or KL codeshare. KLM, however, sells tickets on many non-FB partners (eg Air New Zealand NZ-coded flights and Jetstar JQ-coded flights on flights to/from New Zealand), and which don't always have KL codeshares and therefore earn you nothing in Flying Blue].

Of course, you will have to weigh up for yourself if the difference in prices makes up for the loss of Flying Blue miles/sectors.

Originally Posted by aad665
On ITA matrix, I can now see possiblity to fly with Etihad ticket with a combo KLM flight+ Etihad. AMS-AUH-CMB, the first one AMS-AUH with KLM and second with Etihad.

The booking class is W with Etihad. (business)

how can translate it in flying blue? is it level miles? award miles? should it be issued by KLM or Etihad is fine?
Just to be sure, a business-class ticket issued by Etihad (in W class - or in ANY class) will earn your 0 Flying Blue miles, and will not count as Level Segments - even if some of the flights are operated by KLM.

If you buy the same ticket from KLM (presumably at a far higher price), any flights in that itinerary that are coded KL - regardless of who operates them - will earn you level miles, award miles, and count as level segments.

(Etihad currently allows you to enter Frequent Flyer details for these programs/airlines only:
* Etihad
* Air Berlin
* Air New Zealand
* Air Seychelles
* Alitalia
* ANA
* American Airlines
* Asiana Airlines
* Bangkok Airways
* Czech Airlines
* Jet Airways
* Malaysia Airlines
* Oman Air
* Royal Air Maroc
* Ukraine International
* Sri Lankan Airlines
* Virgin Australia.

If you are a member of any of those programs, you may be able to earn miles for your EY coded flights, but check carefully in that program, as there will be restrictions as to which flights/routes can earn in some of those programs. EY's own program will definitely work - however, I suspect AA's program wouldn't, for example, on such an itinerary).

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 30, 2013 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Etihad extends arrangement to include KQ

Etihad Airways PJSC, the third- largest Gulf carrier, struck a partnership with Kenya Airways (KNAL) that opens up destinations across Africa while bringing it closer to the Air France-KLM Group-led Skyteam alliance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...hare-deal.html
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Interesting that the KE EY partnership will star with more destination that the AF/KL-EY one.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
ETIHAD / KLM Expands Codeshare Service in S13 (from Airlineroute.net)

Lists 9 destinations which will be available on KLM flight numbers operated by EY, and 11 European destinations which will be available on EY flight numbers operated by KLM. However, interestingly some of the 'KLM operated by EY' destinations are already accessible (eg: SYD and CAN via KUL on MH and via CAN on CZ...; I also thought that KLM used to offer fares to SEZ via NBO on KQ, which you think would be preferable to KLM as they part-own KQ (although I can't find any such fares right now).)

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Etihad Airways PJSC, the third- largest Gulf carrier, struck a partnership with Kenya Airways (KNAL) that opens up destinations across Africa while bringing it closer to the Air France-KLM Group-led Skyteam alliance.
I also found that interesting... I wonder if KQ will start operating to AUH itself at some point?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.