Is this the end of the world? Has everyone gone mad?

Old Jan 17, 12, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, G3 Gold, JJ Vermelho
Is this the end of the world? Has everyone gone mad?

I started to plan my family vacation trip for september and my wife and I are planning to go to Bali, Indonesia with our 3 year-old son. I searched many different airlines and the kinds of quotes I'm getting for three business tickets is about 40 thousand euros with KLM, Lufthansa, Singapore, etc... OK, I'm flying from Rio de Janeiro, but this kind of price would be ridiculous even if I flew in from Mars!
What on earth is going on?
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:26 am

Programs: United nob- Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
Offer and demand my friend... you are looking at almost a round a world ticket here and in C class in top of that...
Coach might be a better option with a couple of stops of 24 hrs on the way to make it less painful..
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Have you looked into two separate tickets with a stop in AMS to be safe?
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dunno where you are searching, I see a variety of airlines available on randon September dates in the 6-7,000 DOLLAR range per person, so we are talking about 14,000 EUROS rather than 40,000 as you are stating. Furthermore fares to SIN can be had in the $5700 range PP, so it would be even less and one can get very cheap SIN-DPS tickets with enough advanced notice.
Old Jan 17, 12, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
You are looking at September 8 months from now. Airlines only post their best "discounted" fares a few months before travel. All you usually get so long ahead is full or expensive fares.
Your best bet is to find an airline that flies from Rio to some Asian city near Bali and add a cheap regional fare on a separate ticket.
Old Jan 17, 12, 10:25 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Try breaking the ticket in 2. Fly to somewhere in Europe or somewhere in NOAM and then from there onwards.

And yes, it is the end of the world! Everyone has indeed gone mad because YOU can't get what you want.
Old Jan 17, 12, 11:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold; Accor Gold.
You could also look at splitting up into 2 tickets going the 'other way' - i.e., via Australia or New Zealand. You could get Qantas to Sydney then some other (Garuda?) from there to Bali, for example.

Travelling via North America or Europe will almost inevitably involve two connections.

-- Henry
Old Jan 17, 12, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Henry III View Post
You could also look at splitting up into 2 tickets going the 'other way' - i.e., via Australia or New Zealand. You could get Qantas to Sydney then some other (Garuda?) from there to Bali, for example.

Travelling via North America or Europe will almost inevitably involve two connections.

-- Henry
That is indeed true and a very pleasant place to stop, and while flights ex-Oz are often expensive, they can be dirt cheap to Bali (more likely on low cost airlines such as Jetstar than QF proper though).
Old Jan 17, 12, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I have already stated above, tickets can be had for 25-35% of what the guy quoted, he has a plethora of routes and carriers to choose from and off the top of my head these include Qatar, Emirates, not to mention Malaysian and many others.
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, G3 Gold, JJ Vermelho
Thanks everyone for the tips, I will try to break the ticket in two, just to give it a try. I found out that the fastest way to get to Bali from Europe is really with KLM as it only makes a fast fueling stop in Singapore. And stopping for a few days in Amsterdam would be nice as I haven't been there in more than 10 years.
Thanks BRunos for your tip: it is really too early to get the best fares.
As for Henry III's idea of trying the other way around, going through Oceania, that would be the best option, but unfortunately it doesn't work yet. There are no flights connecting Brazil and either Australia or New Zealand. You have to get to Chile first, and to get there from Rio, where I am, you have to stop at São Paulo first. All that with a very active three year-old aboard would only be possible if I could get some of Michael Jackson's propofol. Maybe as the 2016 Olympics get closer the airlines will start giving us more options. We've got better options these days, but nothing like a big North America or Europe hub.
HFly: I was trying to stick to either *ST or *A, but Emirates could also be an idea, thanks.
Anyway, what impressed me here besides the prices I was getting is that airlines' websites are getting dumb and dumber. You give them a route and the flight options they return make no sense, as they offer you only a very high number of connections when you know there are shorter options or many times they will tell you that the flight you are looking for is not possible. And you know it is. Go figure. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 12, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to do STAR then you can do a combination of TAM/SAA/SQ for about $7500 each.
Old Jan 18, 12, 6:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, LH FTQ, Carlson Club Gold; HHonors Diamond
Lufthansa has a business class promotion going on now till January 24 for travel in July and August; e.g. Amsterdam (via Frankfurt) - Jakarta costs EUR1,922.00
Old Jan 18, 12, 6:45 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Bronze + other less precious metals
Also, I know this is from GRU, but QR has GRU-DOH-DPS for BRL35650 total (just shy of US$20k). And they will actually fly you to DPS (unlike LH, etc).
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:03 am

Programs: Many
Would a RTW ticket be an option?
Old Jan 18, 12, 11:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Would a RTW ticket be an option?
UA/CX combinations. It appears that despite being in two different alliances, they still offer RTW tickets (or so I saw a few months ago).

Then don't Gulf airlines fly to Brazil? Emirates or Qatar?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: