FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   New "Europe Classic Awards" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1266030-new-europe-classic-awards.html)

Goldorak Oct 4, 2011 11:36 pm

New "Europe Classic Awards"

I didn't see this posted before (moderators, if I'm wrong, feel free to delete of course).
I received yesterday the AF-FB Amex newsletter and there was something regarding FB I was not aware of regarding a new Europe classic award scheme that will be introduced from tomorrow (06/10). To make it clear, it's not an Amex perk but a FB one.
Here's what they say :
"Réserver un billet prime sur le vol de votre choix à la dernière minute ou pendant les périodes de forte affluence peut s’avérer très difficile. Aussi, pour vous permettre de réserver plus facilement un billet prime en Classe Economique sur ses vols européens et domestiques, Air France vous propose à partir du 6 octobre une nouveauté : les Primes Europe Classic.

"En vous donnant accès à un plus grand nombre de sièges prime en Classe Economique sur les vols européens et domestiques d’Air France, les Primes Europe Classic augmentent vos chances de pouvoir réserver un billet prime à la date et l’horaire qui vous conviennent.

Pour 125% du montant de Miles-Prime d’un billet prime classique, les primes Europe Classic sont proposées à tous les membres Flying Blue sur les vols opérés par Air France.
A ce jour, KLM et les autres partenaires aériens ne proposent pas de Prime Europe Classic.
"

Quick translation : it will be easier to book award seats on AF European and domestic flights from oct 6, especially on peak travel dates and times, for 125% of number of miles needed for a classic award. KLM do not offer this (AF flights only).

So it's a kind of elite award system (extra inventory for 125% miles) but not reserved for elites (available to all). The name given is really confusing as they still use the "classic" name :confused:
Extra inventory is always welcome but we all know the poor value of miles redemption on European flights. It could be intesresting if we can have access to the busy flights (morning/evening weekdays) full of pax travelling for business but I doubt they will open many seats on such flights as they fill them easily with paying pax.

Interestingly, there is not a word about this on AF and FB web sites. It's only on Amex site.

Could it be part of the new T&C we heard were coming but nothing was announced yet ?

Verboten Oct 7, 2011 3:25 am

In my opinion intra-Europe awards are only useful/worthwhile if you have to do a one-way.

OP mentioned busy flights. I concur in doubting the availability of award seats on such flights.

delanotre Oct 13, 2011 5:56 am

New award booking class in Europe

October 13,

In order to provide additional supplies in Voyageur cabin on domestic flights in France and Europe Network AIR FRANCE, a new premium class of service is now available
It costs 25% more miles compared to Voyageur Classic.

Dates: Application for immediate bookings and travel.
Booking class: T
Name: Classic Europe Award
Areas where you can book this class:
- Domestic France
- From France to Europe and vice versa 1/2/3
- Europe and between Europe 1/2/3 1/2/3
This class can be used on flights to Europe and can not be booked for international flights to PrePost
All travel must be booked on T AF only

The cost of changes and cancellation of € 45 applies.
It can be offered to all customers Flying Blue (not Elite and Elite)
Reservations are made online and by phone

Amount of Miles:
Europe 1 to Europe 1 : 12500
Europe 1 to Europe 2 : 15625
Europe 2 to Europe 2: 15625
Europe 1 to Europe 3: 18750
Europe 2 Europe 3 to: 18750
Europe 3 to Europe 3: 18750

Fare Basis
TFB

bodory Oct 13, 2011 6:17 am

I think it has been already mentionned some days ago.

My questions are :
- Does T open when X is zeroed or can both coexist?
- If so, is the introduction of T class lead to the reduction of X class?

It seems to me that this new class is just like the introduction of yield management within award tickets. We already know that RM decides to relase or not award seats but with this new class, the job of the RM might also decide to close X and open T, being both in Economy, just like they do with R, W, N, Y etc... for revenue tickets. Hence my first question.

I fear that in the future, there will be less X seats available, meaning that awards will simply cost more.

delanotre Oct 13, 2011 6:33 am

Originally Posted by bodory (Post 17266731)

Sorry, will you mention the link?
It's a new information available today to TA.

FBI Oct 13, 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by delanotre (Post 17266799)
Sorry, will you mention the link?
It's a new information available today to TA.

Posted by Goldorak 09 days ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...y-06-10-a.html

Gajan Oct 13, 2011 7:02 am

Originally Posted by FBI (Post 17266814)

Thank you for pointing that out.

bodory Oct 13, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks Gajan !

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 17222495)
"En vous donnant accès à un plus grand nombre de sièges prime en Classe Economique sur les vols européens et domestiques d’Air France, les Primes Europe Classic augmentent vos chances de pouvoir réserver un billet prime à la date et l’horaire qui vous conviennent."

They say "a higher number of seats" so obviously we will have : X+T>X

But will "new" X be the same number as "old" X?

delanotre Oct 13, 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FBI (Post 17266814)

damned, I am recognized :)
It's the official statement.

cityflyer369 Oct 13, 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bodory (Post 17266938)
Thanks Gajan !

They say "a higher number of seats" so obviously we will have : X+T>X

But will "new" X be the same number as "old" X?

In view of AF's marketing lingo that sells everything as an enhancement, this could well just mean that T class offers you seats you would not have otherwise.

To put it in a formula, I think it does not imply more than

Xnew < Xnew + T.

In particular, it does not necessarily imply

Xold < Xnew + T.

bodory Oct 13, 2011 10:09 am

Well, let's assume the current number of seats for a given flight is : X6

Now, will AF do?
1/ When the 6 six seats are taken (X0), RM opens T3
2/ The number of classic seats is reduced to (X3 for instance), and when all are gone (X0), RM opens T6

In both cases, the number of award seats indeed has increased (from 6 to 9) and the rule is "first-come, first-served". But with option 2, one pays the award at a higher price (both in average and marginally).

Also, I re-read my previous post. It makes no sense to have X and T available at the same time because as these classes have the same restrictions, non one would buy T if X is avaialble.

Mokshu Oct 13, 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bodory (Post 17267870)
Also, I re-read my previous post. It makes no sense to have X and T available at the same time because as these classes have the same restrictions, non one would buy T if X is avaialble.

Both will be open at the same time, but as long as X's stock is gone, only T will be displayed online. Just as for the Elite awards...

ranskis Oct 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Their management of award and classes is absurd. T is also a revenue bucket, there are flight with X wide open and T closed, and a few have X closed and T open. T is the cheapest booking class for fares without minimum stays, so pretty much sold out several days before departure, to force business travellers to buy more expensive fares. Moreover, T fares are quite cheap usually, around 100-200 EUR before taxes and surcharges... not a good value for a return trip!

brunos Oct 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Knowing AF, it necessarily implies that Xnew<Xold

chrissxb Oct 24, 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by bodory (Post 17266731)

My questions are :
- Does T open when X is zeroed or can both coexist?
- If so, is the introduction of T class lead to the reduction of X class?

It seems to me that this new class is just like the introduction of yield management within award tickets. We already know that RM decides to relase or not award seats but with this new class, the job of the RM might also decide to close X and open T, being both in Economy, just like they do with R, W, N, Y etc... for revenue tickets. Hence my first question.

I fear that in the future, there will be less X seats available, meaning that awards will simply cost more.

let me precise that T is a new award class ant t-inventory is NOT linked to x-inventory. upon request, AF told me that we not have more than twice the number of award seats available. and the advantage of T-inventory is - it's restricted to FB members and not open to all other partners.

I see this as a huge advantage and real improvement compared to the situation we had before.