FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Combining two cheap tickets - is this allowed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1260700-combining-two-cheap-tickets-allowed.html)

cityflyer369 Sep 26, 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Verboten (Post 17168780)

Originally Posted by Gajan (Post 17166633)
To my question if they (the airline) actually took actions against people who bought nested tickets they answered that they did not.

I'm not a contract law expert but I remember reading on FT a while ago that someone more knowledgeable has read through all the kleine lettertjes of KLM and found nothing against nested ticketing.

As customers of KLM we are so used to "Computer says no!". Our defence in this case is "Computer says yes!". So, yes, we can.

Now, for the general discussion, I know that some airlines have terms in their CoC that forbid back-to-back ticketing. I've always wondered what should the following person do?

This person, say, Mike, was based in A but is now on a six-month exchange programme in B. Mike has bought a cheap return ticket A-B-A, both dates unchangeable (or, say, changeable to an [unsurprisingly colossal] fee). Three months into the programme, some family emergency requires Mike to visit A for a few days.
Buying ticket from another airline should solve the problem. But what if there is only one airline serving the route concerned?

On the other hand, what happens to nested tickets such as ORY-A-ORY nested in A-CDG-A, both on AF?

Or, BSL-A-BSL in A-MLH-A? [Are there airlines serving both BSL and MLH? :confused: ]

Mike's case should not be a problem in any case. Obviously, he he never intended to use his tickets to get a cheaper fare by getting around a min-stay restriction. Even if an airline is strongly against b2b ticketing and regularly takes follow-up measures, it should not be difficult to explain to them what the background of Mike's bookings is. I would call this case "accidental b2b ticketing", as opposed to "genuine b2b ticketing".

stifle Sep 27, 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Yachtman (Post 17156841)
Has any airline, including KLM/AF, been known for cancelling or taking action against nested tickets?

I have read that LH sent some stern emails to people who engaged in this or similar practices saying their M&L accounts might be cancelled if they carried on with it.

I have also heard of travel agents who booked such itineraries being sent large ADMs for the difference between the amount charged and the unrestricted fares.

jmbfrance Sep 27, 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 17179936)
I have read that LH sent some stern emails to people who engaged in this or similar practices saying their M&L accounts might be cancelled if they carried on with it.

I have also heard of travel agents who booked such itineraries being sent large ADMs for the difference between the amount charged and the unrestricted fares.

Dear friend,

Could you tell us if these tickets were BtB or nested tickets ?

stifle Sep 27, 2011 8:56 am

I can't remember what the LH one was (ask at the M&L forum); the ADMs were for nested tickets, hidden-city, and throwaway returns.