Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Problems with Delta/KLM (regarding Flying Blue membership).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver

Dear fellow FTers, in a recent trip I experienced a few things which makes me think that Delta is unaware of the benefits Flying Blue members “should” receive.
I am a Flying Blue Elite (Silver) and I have been for around about a year. I recently flew with KLM and Delta from NCL – AMS – DTW – ROA – ATL – AMS – NCL. I experienced few problems on the outbound flights, but on my return legs I had a bad time.
It all started at the airport. I got to Roanoke Airport ready to go home, I had 2 suitcases which is fine according to Flying Blue rules (See: http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/flyi...rlines.htm#p11 )
Which states “Extra baggage allowance
You are also allowed an extra item of baggage, weighing a maximum of 23 kg, on any AIR FRANCE*, KLM, Air Europa, Tarom and Delta Air Lines flight.”
The Check-In Agent informed me that I was only allowed one suitcase, but I insisted that the Flying Blue rules state I can have one extra case for free. He refused to let me take my case (unless I paid $75). Luckily, I was being dropped off at the airport by family, which allowed me to leave some of my goods with them. Although the content is irrelevant, I will tell you what I had. I had a few 2 litre bottles of Mountain Dew (different flavours), and some candy. The reason I have them which is once again irrelevant, is because my brother loves Mountain Dew, and sadly we can’t get the good flavours (or original) here.
The ignorance of the Check-in agent meant I was not allowed to take my extra case through, so my family took it with them and I allowed them to keep the content to themselves.
I contacted Delta and KLM with my issue (and some others) and for this section I got a reply saying “I am very sorry for the additional problems you encountered whilst checking in for flight KL9479 on August 10 from Roanoke to Atlanta. As an Elite member of Flying Blue you are permitted to check-in an additional piece of baggage with a weight not exceeding 23kilos. If however the weight does exceed 23 kilos our check-in staff are obliged to apply a fee.”

The weight DID NOT exceed the 23kg limit, but was still not allowed. I then followed up on their reply saying that I had wasted my money on goods, which I should have been allowed to bring through with me. KLM told me on their Facebook page “Hello “Mr. NUFCRULE3”. We have given you an extensive response in which we answer all your questions. We therefore won’t review the situation again. We welcome your feedback again in the future!”
I fail to see how they can totally avoid my point and say that they gave an “extensive response”.

That was the major issue, but other things made me wonder what Delta actually know about Flying Blue. On my outbound legs, I received a Priority luggage tag. However, on my inbound flights I didn’t receive one and questioned it. The same Check-in agent told me Flying Blue members don’t get them. The link I posted earlier states:
“Your check-in baggage will be given a special baggage tag to show that you are a SkyTeam Elite member, so that your bags are delivered quickly to the baggage-claim area.”
So, I wanted to know why I didn’t get it, and included that in my e-mail. Their response for that was
“As a Silver Elite member you should receive a priority luggage handling tag each time you travel on a SkyTeam airline as you did whilst checking in for flight KL954 on July 13 from Newcastle.”

They ignored my point, but did agree that I should have had one.
My next issue with the Delta/Flying Blue relation was on during boarding from my flight to ATL to AMS. My seat was at the back of the plane, which meant I was the last zone to board. My previous link states:
“Priority boarding
Board your flight ahead of the rest by simply presenting your Flying Blue Silver Elite card, giving you more time to find your seat and stow your hand baggage.
Air France offers this service on international flights only.
Aeromexico offers this service on all flights except between Mexico City and Monterrey, and Mexico City and Guadalajara.
Delta Air Lines does not offer this service on Delta Shuttle flights, Delta Connection flights and SONG flights.”
This means I should have been able to board as soon as special boarding and Business Elite had finished boarding. However, I was unable to (the Gate Agent said “This has never happened”), but when I was allowed to board (last zone), the locker space was full, so I was forced to store my hand luggage in the hold, which meant I was unable to access my food, drinks, iPod and my other forms of entertainment.
KLM responded with
“I am sorry to learn of your disappointment at not being offered a priority boarding service on your flight KL6038 on August 10 from Atlanta to Amsterdam.

It is usual for a priority lane to be available to our Elite/Elite Plus members where upon you are invited to board at your convenience on European Medium Haul flights and Long Haul flights. In the event a priority lane is not available, an announcement is usually made inviting Elite/Elite Plus members to board as a priority or at your convenience.

Delta Air Lines operates a system of 'zone boarding'. SkyTeam Elite customers may board in zone two when they present their loyalty card.

Zones are displayed underneath the seat assignment on the boarding cards and are automatically assigned during check-in depending on the seat location, aircraft type and elite status (Medallion, SkyTeam Elite etc).

Zone 2 includes SkyMiles Silver Medallion members, SkyTeam Elite and Code share Elite.”

I am fairly happy with the response for that section, but I should have still been allowed to board earlier than the last boarding zone!

Overall, I feel like I am not benefitting from my Flying Blue membership at all, the benefits are not being honoured, which is not a good thing.
The next problem is not related to Delta, but is to KLM. On my NCL – AMS and vice versa, there were many seats located in Europe Business, but I was not upgraded. Some people in front of me were upgraded (they were Flying Blue gold). But there was still around 75% or more of those seats free. I questioned why I wasn’t upgraded and the response was
“It is however not our policy to automatically upgrade customers to business class. In the event of any flight disruptions or irregularities this may be a possibility however the check-in staff are not in a position to transfer customers into a different cabin from the one they are already ticketed for.”

I feel that if the seats are spare, then why don’t they fill them?
From my Flying Blue benefits I feel I have lost out. I could fly with other airlines to go visit my girlfriend and her family, but as I have a Flying Blue account with 50,000+ miles, I thought I should stick with them.
KLM have disappointed me with their response and the face they will not review the matter. (For those who don’t know, as a UK citizen contacting Delta, it get’s forwarded to KLM Europe).
I would like to know why Delta is ignorant to the Flying Blue/SkyTeam program allowances.
The part that annoys me most is I wasted my money on goods to bring back, and I wasn’t allowed when I should have been.
I am only 18 and I have spent more than Ł3,000 with KLM and SkyTeam, but I feel like I am wasting my time and money with them as I am not gaining any benefits.
I thank anyone who spent their time reading this, and I would like to know what you think I should do, as after only one reply KLM have stated that this matter is closed.
Many thanks,
Nufcrule3.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Automatic upgrades do not exist on European flights, so here you were expecting too much. This upgrade concept, while common in the US, is not part of the Elite perks of almost all European FFPs. The reason is that European Business class follows a concept different from US domestic First.
Regarding the other things you mention: maybe you should take print-outs from the FB website with you next time. US airlines can ne quite ignorant about non-US FFPs.
Regarding the luggage allowance: I would have paid for the luggage and asked for a refund afterwards.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Automatic upgrades do not exist on European flights, so here you were expecting too much. This upgrade concept, while common in the US, is not part of the Elite perks of almost all European FFPs. The reason is that European Business class follows a concept different from US domestic First.
Regarding the other things you mention: maybe you should take print-outs from the FB website with you next time. US airlines can ne quite ignorant about non-US FFPs.
Regarding the luggage allowance: I would have paid for the luggage and asked for a refund afterwards.
I'm not too bothered about the upgrades. It's the luggage that bothers me most.
Also, I would have thought US airlines would know about the FFPs related to their allied airlines.
As for the luggage, I guess print outs is an option next time.
I didn't want to pay for the luggage incase they didn't honour a refund.

Do you think it would be worth contacting them through letter and that way I can get a message direct to Delta without it being diverted to KLM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The Flying Blue benefits are clearly shown on the DL website. ALWAYS ask the DL agent to consult them as they generally don't (want to) believe FB printouts (or print the DL website).
Regarding baggage and priority boarding, I wouldn't have complied. Certainly with the luggage, you should have called a supervisor and ask him to shown the rules on DL website. Priority tags are only on AFKL flights, the text on the KLM webpage is misleading.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by nufcrule3
I'm not too bothered about the upgrades. It's the luggage that bothers me most.
Also, I would have thought US airlines would know about the FFPs related to their allied airlines.
As for the luggage, I guess print outs is an option next time.
I didn't want to pay for the luggage incase they didn't honour a refund.

Do you think it would be worth contacting them through letter and that way I can get a message direct to Delta without it being diverted to KLM.
Your biggest problem is that you were flying out of Roanake Airport which was probably staffed by a Delta subcontractor. The smaller the airport the less likely they will even know about their own elite flyer benefits.

Earlier advice is to have them get a supervisor and look up their own guidelines. Alternatively, have them call DL customer service and get them to look it up.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Your biggest problem is that you were flying out of Roanake Airport which was probably staffed by a Delta subcontractor. The smaller the airport the less likely they will even know about their own elite flyer benefits.

Earlier advice is to have them get a supervisor and look up their own guidelines. Alternatively, have them call DL customer service and get them to look it up.
That was one of my assumptions too, next time I know what to do though.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I think it's great the OP has gotten advice for next time, but what about this time?

Why does KL only recite the guidelines and not adequately address the fact that an Elite member was denied rightful baggage allowance and boarding priority? And why are they so dismissive? They will not review the situation again? I was never treated in such a way by Northwest as a Silver/Gold/Plat.

In my opinion, to remedy this situation, they should arrange for his second case to be sent home to the UK with an apology and a promise to inform the agents at ROA of the SkyTeam benefits due FB elite members.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by boxo
I think it's great the OP has gotten advice for next time, but what about this time?

Why does KL only recite the guidelines and not adequately address the fact that an Elite member was denied rightful baggage allowance and boarding priority? And why are they so dismissive? They will not review the situation again? I was never treated in such a way by Northwest as a Silver/Gold/Plat.

In my opinion, to remedy this situation, they should arrange for his second case to be sent home to the UK with an apology and a promise to inform the agents at ROA of the SkyTeam benefits due FB elite members.
Well, except why should KLM be paying for a DL scr*w up? All the OP's issues (except the 'no upgrade' which happens to be the one issue for which he has no case as indeed, AF and KL have a clear policy of no space available upgrade) are with DL's handling of his situation: refused 2nd bag, refused priority tag (a frequent occurrence with DL I should add), refused priority boarding. KL are only reciting the guidelines because there is not much they can say/do as KLM and they won't b*tch about their partner for the sake of it. I agree with the OP's suggestion it would be worth trying to contact DL directly using phone, letter, etc. They may give you some token compensation (maybe a duty free voucher or an upgrade to economy comfort on your next TATL trip?) but even if they don't, they at least need to be alerted that some of their staff (including clearly non-subcontracted on the boarding issue) are still ignorant of their rules.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
A priority luggage tag is only a Skyteam Elite Plus benefit.

FB Silver Elite members travelling on AF/KL are given it as well as it is a Silver Elite benefit, but this is not extended when you are flying a Skyteam partner.

That said, it is pretty annoying that staff do not seem to know the benefits given to Skyteam members (regarding your extra luggage etc.).
I would definitely complain but I am not sure what they will offer you. Maybe when more complain they will finally do something about it.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, except why should KLM be paying for a DL scr*w up? All the OP's issues (except the 'no upgrade' which happens to be the one issue for which he has no case as indeed, AF and KL have a clear policy of no space available upgrade) are with DL's handling of his situation: refused 2nd bag, refused priority tag (a frequent occurrence with DL I should add), refused priority boarding. KL are only reciting the guidelines because there is not much they can say/do as KLM and they won't b*tch about their partner for the sake of it. I agree with the OP's suggestion it would be worth trying to contact DL directly using phone, letter, etc. They may give you some token compensation (maybe a duty free voucher or an upgrade to economy comfort on your next TATL trip?) but even if they don't, they at least need to be alerted that some of their staff (including clearly non-subcontracted on the boarding issue) are still ignorant of their rules.
I never said this should be at KL's expense, but the OP is a Flying Blue member flying a KL ticket and KL should be responsible in remedying this however they can by contacting DL on his behalf. His suitcase should be sent home. Period.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Gajan
A priority luggage tag is only a Skyteam Elite Plus benefit.
This must be the first time someone actually refers to these tags as a benefit.

If the OP had decided to fork out the 75$ to check the bag, he would have had a good chance to claim it back with KL. That's after the event so not much help, I'm afraid.

I'm actually glad to hear that FB Gold pax were ahead of FB Silver in the op-up sequence, although given his experience the OP would well have deserved the op-up. The point about AFKL not filling C with free upgrades to E+/E pax has been made already.

Overall, I'd agree that this is a lousy performance by KL/DL and that their partnership is nowhere near where KL and NW were a few years ago.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gajan
That said, it is pretty annoying that staff do not seem to know the benefits given to Skyteam members (regarding your extra luggage etc.).

I would definitely complain but I am not sure what they will offer you. Maybe when more complain they will finally do something about it.
In the past couple of weeks, DL reps have been repeatedly trying to hit me with baggage fees even when presented with the AF-KL SkyTeam ElitePlus status/card on trips that are flown entirely by DL and/or AF-KL. And I'm only transporting two standard sized bags weighing less than 50 lbs each.

And to manage to avoid the fee wasted more time with DL than it does with other airlines. [And to top it all off, I've also had more bags mishandled on DL-AF/KL combined trips than I've had on AA-BA combined trips or UA-LH combined trips in the past 12 months despite having checked at least as much checked luggage with each of the other alliances' carriers.]
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In the past couple of weeks, DL reps have been repeatedly trying to hit me with baggage fees even when presented with the AF-KL SkyTeam ElitePlus status/card on trips that are flown entirely by DL and/or AF-KL. And I'm only transporting two standard sized bags weighing less than 50 lbs each.

And to manage to avoid the fee wasted more time with DL than it does with other airlines. [And to top it all off, I've also had more bags mishandled on DL-AF/KL combined trips than I've had on AA-BA combined trips or UA-LH combined trips in the past 12 months despite having checked at least as much checked luggage with each of the other alliances' carriers.]
Yes I too had to pay a bag JFK-SFO as delta staff said quite rudely and abruptly pay USD 20 or the bag doesnt go, and she was a supervisor. I am FBGold.

I didnt have the energy to complain as had just gone from Europe to JFK on *A , same with bothering to complain as it takes 8-10 weeks just to get an answer majority of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.