Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Flying Blue Alternatives?

I'm FB Platinum for life and was wondering if from now on i should start accumulating Skyteam miles on another airline? I spend most of my time flying in China and Asia and fly KLM/AF between EU and Asia 4-5 times per year. I already have a China Eastern account, basic level, and since they are now part of Skyteam and since i spend most of my time in China, is it worth starting to collect all my future Skyteam flights with them?
FWIW, I'm also *A gold with BMI, which i use for all *A flights.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
What would be the advantage of using another Skyteam program? With FB you will get the perks like Lounge access and extra luggage. When you start collecting with another program you will have to start all over...plus possibly get no extra luggage allowance since this is FB<>AFKL specific.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by Xandrios
What would be the advantage of using another Skyteam program? With FB you will get the perks like Lounge access and extra luggage. When you start collecting with another program you will have to start all over...plus possibly get no extra luggage allowance since this is FB<>AFKL specific.

Actually, I think that has changed recently, to all Skyteam members for the luggage allowance:

"
members, Million Milers, SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in First or Business class may check three bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg). SkyMiles Diamond, Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion members, Million Milers, SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling outside the US, Canada or Brazil will be allowed two or three bags up to 50 lbs (23 kg) depending on the standard cabin allowance. The benefit applies to up to 9 people traveling in the eligible member's reservation.*"
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
I have not look at china eastern FP recently but last time i looked at it is was really not interesting and I would assume hard to manage (things change quickly in China so this might be outdated). on the other side if you are doing lots of domestics flights in china it might be worth to credit them to a local FFP because still lots of fare don't redeem miles with FB and perks of being FB Plat on domestics flight are most of the time nonexistent.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:56 am
Original Poster

i understand all the above replies, but reason i consider it is because Skyteam Elite Plus is not recognized by domestic lounges, so no lounge access. Furthermore, other perks are often not honored here.
Hence the reason to consider a domestic program. Furthermore, i have the China Eastern credit card, so can accumulate miles relatively quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.