Wiki Posts
Search

Trip advise welcomed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB
Trip advise welcomed

2 Adults, 1 four yr old planned trip to AMS December 20 2011 till January 1st 2012. Leave from IAH.
Tickets range around $1100us.
I have 160,000 FB Miles available. Is it wise to use these for this trip? I am not too flexible, but open to suggestions.
Yes I have read some related threads and posts, but I am at a point where it starts to dazzle me.
Thanks in advance,

Need to add to this that I do not mind at all to use my miles since I rarely fly SkyTeam (based in IAH).

Last edited by SayangM; Jul 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Provided that there is award availability for what you want to do, the main points seems to be the question of whether you value the miles higher than the money for the tickets. Or is it the other way round?
Obviously, your answer to this question should depend on whether you would use the miles for some other flight(s) if you did not use them now. If these other flights are worth more to you than the flights to AMS, it does not make sense to spend the miles now. If, however, you cannot think of any alternative better(!) way of using the miles, you should spend them and save the money.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm seeing plenty of redemption availability for 2 adults and 1 child on the dates mentioned.

Total cost: 150,000 miles and €1022.07 (almost $1,500) for all 3. (Though perhaps the taxes/charges/fees may be different for you, with a US-based FB account?).

You should really consider though if this is the best use of your miles, as it apparently would only save you something just over half what you would pay for the tickets without raiding your miles. If you travel infrequently on SkyTeam, and consequently face the prospect of your miles expiring soon (remember - FB miles expire 20 months after the last flight activity, unless you hold Elite status) and are unlikely to have another possible use for your miles/SkyTeam flight to extend your mileage validity in the foreseeable future, then perhaps using your miles for this trip may indeed be the best option.

But only you can decide!

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 26, 2011 at 3:38 am
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB
Irishguy,
I had the same calculation, roughly $1450 in additional
surcharges/taxes, whatsoever.
I don't think that I would get the max out of my miles, but it'll definitely will help our budget for this trip vs. the full fare price.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:10 pm

Use the points

In my opinion I would use your points for the trip as who knows when you will be able to use them before they expire. With your cash you can stay at a nice hotel in Amsterdam, buy rail passes and splurge on using Taxis and Car services to and from the airport. You can even buy tickets to shows etc.

Remember this if you don't use them you lose the points so spend them on this trip if it meets your dates and your current financial needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.