Number of miles counts for upgrade list?

Old Jul 2, 11, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF PLAT
Number of miles counts for upgrade list?

I already have more then 100.000 miles earned in the past year and im wondering if it makes sense to save them or spend them on some award trip. The only thing that keeps me for spending them is the thought that maybe on my next flight, when they will do the upgrade list, if i have more miles then other elites will count. Is this real or doesnt make sense at all? Any ideas?
Old Jul 2, 11, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ssilviu View Post
I already have more then 100.000 miles earned in the past year and im wondering if it makes sense to save them or spend them on some award trip. The only thing that keeps me for spending them is the thought that maybe on my next flight, when they will do the upgrade list, if i have more miles then other elites will count. Is this real or doesnt make sense at all? Any ideas?
Nonsense, there is no mark on the Passenger Information List about your miles. Maybe if you are a Million Miler but I'm sure an upgrade has nothing to do with your mileage besides that.

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Jul 2, 11 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 2, 11, 7:05 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Nonsense, there is no mark on the Passenger Information List about your miles. Maybe if you are a Million Miler but I'm sure an upgrade has nothing to do with your mileage besides that.
Although the PIL does not contain info on your FB balance, I wonder whether this info is available to the gate agent in charge or some operation manager over her/him. However, from my experience and the average balance I keep it seems unlikely that it is a major factor in such considerations.
Old Jul 3, 11, 7:12 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by ssilviu View Post
Normally, it is your elite status that matters, then the type of ticket you have (a Plat with full fare ticket gets upgraded before one that has a cheaper ticket). At least, that is how someone from KLM explained me once. In practice it does not always work that way.

100,000 miles is also not very much for a FFer, but I base it on my own situation (I have been aorund the 450-500K over the past years)
Old Jul 3, 11, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Just wondering - to those people who think that mileage balance could be an influencing factor - how this would work?

It seems from the OP that (s)he thinks the more miles you have, the more likely you are to be upgraded. Presumably because of an assumption that it marks them out as a "frequent flyer". I would disagree with this - the status achieved is what marks a person out as a frequent flyer - and the miles balance could be quite low for a very frequent flyer if they have just "emptied" their account - therefore an unreliable indicator of how "loyal" the passenger is.
Old Jul 3, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: HH Nobody, AF FB Platinum, SIXT Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Ambassador
I already exeeded 1 million miles on my FB account balance while flying economic class several times and I can insure you I was not ugraded at those times.
Old Jul 5, 11, 6:52 am

Programs: FB Plat / M&M
Hello,
I have another question :
What is the strongest criteria for building the upgrade list at the boarding : the elite status or the fare ?
For example : can a FB Platinum Pax with a cheap fare (let's say Q) is more likely to be upgrader than a FB Silver with the flex fare (let's say K or even Y) ?
I know that upgrade decisions are often taken on obscure basis, but at least, there must be a basic rule for it.
Old Jul 5, 11, 7:57 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by xtof View Post
Hello,
I have another question :
What is the strongest criteria for building the upgrade list at the boarding : the elite status or the fare ?
For example : can a FB Platinum Pax with a cheap fare (let's say Q) is more likely to be upgrader than a FB Silver with the flex fare (let's say K or even Y) ?
I know that upgrade decisions are often taken on obscure basis, but at least, there must be a basic rule for it.
On KLM I believe they look more at the Elite level (a PE member on a full-fare will more likely be upgraded than a PE member on a discounted fare) while on AF the upgrade order is determined by numerous factors (fare class, elite states, ATTN code etc).

Gajan
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
From what I remember for AF/KL flights

Involontary Upgrading rules (overbooking/irregularity):
1. Staff on duty trip with booking (S1)
2. Staff on leisure trip with booking (R1)
3. Staff on duty trip without booking (S2)
4. Staff on leisure trip without booking (S2)
5. Other stand-by staff
6. Flying Blue Elite Plus < prioritized by ATTN score
7. Flying Blue Elite < prioritized by ATTN score
8. SkyTeam Elite Plus
9. SkyTeam Elite
10. Flying Blue Frequent Flyer non-Elite
11. SkyTeam Frequent Flyer non-Elite
12. CIP, VIP (KL only)
13. All other passengers
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Mokshu View Post
Flying Blue Elite Plus < prioritized by ATTN score
What stands ATTN score for???
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Just wondering - to those people who think that mileage balance could be an influencing factor - how this would work?

It seems from the OP that (s)he thinks the more miles you have, the more likely you are to be upgraded. Presumably because of an assumption that it marks them out as a "frequent flyer". I would disagree with this - the status achieved is what marks a person out as a frequent flyer - and the miles balance could be quite low for a very frequent flyer if they have just "emptied" their account - therefore an unreliable indicator of how "loyal" the passenger is.
I would agree with you regarding AF. I would note that the balance of miles or points can have an impact on upgrades, in other loyalty programs, such as SPG, so it is not completely unheard of.
Old Jul 5, 11, 8:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by NB00 View Post
What stands ATTN score for???
ATTN = Attention score, which is computed using your seniority, number of flights, number of irregularities, number of complaints, etc on which you add some obscure mathematical theorem and magical formula.
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:11 am

ATTN = Attention score, which is computed using your seniority, number of flights, number of irregularities, number of complaints, etc on which you add some obscure mathematical theorem and magical formula.
Hmm, I must score lower than I used to do despite my increasing senioritity (which I assume is the years you are Plat) Or upgrades because of overbookings are becoming less and less available.

I am also wondering if number of complaints give you a higher or lower ATTN score?
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:25 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond

5. Other stand-by staff
8. SkyTeam Elite Plus
9. SkyTeam Elite
12. CIP, VIP (KL only)
13. All other passengers

I wonder to what extent sending compliments decreases your ATTN. I sent a compliment to KL earlier in June - the flight crew was truly outstanding - and later taking the very same TATL flight two weeks later when Y cabin was oversold, I did not get an upgrade, but several people who had no idea what an upgrade is (i.e. not frequent fliers) got one. Also the crew could not have been less attentive, so I complained and got a reply from KL CS "According the procedure our Platinum Elite members should be the first ones to be upgraded to Business Class," which confirms in part Mokshu's ranking.
Old Jul 5, 11, 9:29 am

Programs: FB Plat for life

5. Other stand-by staff
8. SkyTeam Elite Plus
9. SkyTeam Elite
12. CIP, VIP (KL only)
13. All other passengers
On my last trip to ATL I had a detailed look at the PIL; I was upgraded from Y to PV. At least 8 others Delta SM pax where also upgraded (all elite plus). from AF point of view there is no difference between Plat and Diamond DL members are sorted with either /1 for elite or /2 for elite plus. one pax had a R1 ticket but was NOT upgraded at check in (things have been corrected once on board).
Strange enough I was the only FB elite member on that flight all others where DL Elite.

Search this Thread