Switching to Air France but using Delta points

Old Jun 19, 11, 9:36 pm
Moz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Switching to Air France but using Delta points

I am Diamond on Delta (until 2012) and will be switching airlines to Air France based on a change of travel routine.

My question is this. Can I switch airline alliances, book and travel on AF but still use my delta miles ( I have a fair few) to upgrade for example? Or will these miles simply be only for booking on delta tickets......

Also, will AF status match my diamond medallion to their equivalent?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 11, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
I am Diamond on Delta (until 2012) and will be switching airlines to Air France based on a change of travel routine.

My question is this. Can I switch airline alliances, book and travel on AF but still use my delta miles ( I have a fair few) to upgrade for example? Or will these miles simply be only for booking on delta tickets......

Also, will AF status match my diamond medallion to their equivalent?

Thanks.
You can use your DL miles to upgrade AF flights, but it has to be the ticket has to be near full-fare.
AF does not normally status match within the same alliance. Are you aware that if you fly on discounted economy tickets hardly earn any miles on Flying Blue? If no, it might be worth to look into that before switching to the dark side
Old Jun 25, 11, 11:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I think you would be ill advised to change to Flying Blue especially of you live in out of France or the Netherlands. It is very difficult to use any award and the taxes are some 2-3 times higher than other airlines. I have a lot of mile on Flying Blue that I cannot use and I will I am sure eventually lose.

I suggest you investigate further and try some dummy awards to see what you will get on Flying Blue
Old Jun 25, 11, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Stay with Delta! You will get more miles (except for paid F) and you can use your SWUs to upgrade on AF. AF has no SWUs and recognition is poor. Why do you want to switch?

Search this Thread