Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You snooze, you lose.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
You snooze, you lose.

Schoolboy mistake but very annoyed with myself. Found an AF fare of E330 from DUB to BOS on June 16, returning June 20. Spent 24hours thinking about it, and has now gone up by over E200.

Furious with myself. Should have held it. Wondering now whether to book or to wait a little while. Will not make the same mistake again.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Annoying indeed but look at it this way: there will be other times when you will kick yourself for buying a ticket a week before the airline announces a sale and the price of the ticket goes down substantially.

Win some, lose some...
Old May 31, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
You will probably get way more miles for the more expensive fare. This is a gain that partly compensates for the higher fare. Hope this eases your pain a bit.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Even the most expensive Y fare makes only 2000 extra miles (one way) over the cheapest fare. Since each FB mile is worth about 1 cent, that makes a difference of 20 euro (one way) in miles.

As the max earning Y fares are a number of times more expensive than the discounted ones...its not a great investment to buy a more expensive fare for the sake of miles.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:46 pm

You lose, you don't snooze

I once ended up having to select a very early departure after I'd selected the more civilised flight time I wanted but backed-out of it when my indecisiveness kicked in. When I went back I assumed someone else had taken the last seat but actually it was me keeping the seat I wanted from myself. I didn't realise until after I'd completed the purchase and then found the flight I wanted was still in a 'basket' from the earlier session. Oops.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB Ivory, Amex MR
This happend to me not to long ago DUB-YYC. The fare was around E800 and when I went back the following day it went up by E300. I was fed up and started searching around and found the low fare on Expedia - exact same flights!!! give it a try!!!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Or book through a travel agent.. they can usually hold reservations for a day or two. Or course you must pay them a ticketing fee... but that's better than 300 euros increase, don't you think?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:29 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Or book through a travel agent.. they can usually hold reservations for a day or two. Or course you must pay them a ticketing fee... but that's better than 300 euros increase, don't you think?
Or the option to think on the AF/KLM website. E15 to hold your reservation for 10 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.