FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Flying Blue Platinum V Delta Platiunm? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1220313-flying-blue-platinum-v-delta-platiunm.html)

IRISHFLYER1 May 28, 2011 9:12 am

Flying Blue Platinum V Delta Platiunm?

I've been a Delta Platinum for 7 years in a row and should qualify again this year.

However I'm Ireland based and get clobbered with high charges on award tickets, and really only get to use them with Delta flying wife to New York each year which cost $200 in charges!! The charges on an award Business class ticket with Air France are even higher $300+.

I earn half my miles with Delta (M Class using certs to upgrade) and Half with Air france flying in Business class. Flying about 50,000 actual miles which is about 75,000MQM.
I have 650,000 Delta miles in the Bank

Is there a status match system?

Would I earn Platinum with just 50,000 actual miles flown next with AF?

Are the charges for award tickets on Air France as High?

FlyinDutchman May 28, 2011 11:48 am

AF's fare classes tend to be very stingy for Y (many classes earning just 25% and 50%); tend to be OK for C.

PE threshold is 70,000 miles

There's no status matching for Delta's FFP; there is currently for LH Miles and More.

KLflyerRalph May 28, 2011 11:52 am

I can only answer part of your questions but am sure others will cover that.

There is no status match program by FB (there was a one time match 2 months ago).

If you don't have any current EQMs in the FB program, you'll have to start from the bottom of the ladder and have to acrue 70.000 EQM in one calendar year for Plat.

The surcharges for FB award tickets are very high, certainly compared to US programs.

delanotre May 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 16465284)
The surcharges for FB award tickets are very high, certainly compared to US programs.

Except for domestic award in US...if you find one

NYC-SFO RT 25000 miles +10$ (on Delta in eco)

stimpy May 29, 2011 3:31 am

I have both cards, though the DL is comped. I would use the DL only if I were based in the US. Being based in Europe and flying AF/KL I think you would be better served with FB Plat.

Richard1148 May 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 16467835)
I have both cards, though the DL is comped.

By comped, do you mean from a status match and was it a match to your FB status? I have been wondering if DL will match FB since they are both part of SkyTeam.

soy May 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 16469923)
I have been wondering if DL will match FB since they are both part of SkyTeam.

No - this is the very reason they will not match. Not possible to do inter-alliance matches. They are meant to be partners, so do not steal each others elites.

stimpy May 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 16469923)
By comped, do you mean from a status match and was it a match to your FB status?

No, US Amex Centurion members get comped to DL Platinum.

xmurphy May 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by soy (Post 16469994)
No - this is the very reason they will not match. Not possible to do inter-alliance matches. They are meant to be partners, so do not steal each others elites.

Not truth. I got SkyMiles Gold matched from Flying Blue Gold this year.
Took about 6 week. Faxed my request, FB card, statement with 6 month history.

IRISHFLYER1 May 30, 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by soy (Post 16469994)

Surely the other way around? It would benifit Delta if I switched to AF. I'd still fly the same flights but would accumulate miles with AF rather than DL.

Originally Posted by xmurphy (Post 16470430)
Not truth. I got SkyMiles Gold matched from Flying Blue Gold this year.
Took about 6 week. Faxed my request, FB card, statement with 6 month history.

Why did you switch?

Gajan May 30, 2011 11:36 pm

I am closing this thread as you have cross posted in the DL-forum.

Gajan