Final 50000 points to use...

Old May 28, 11, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Question Final 50000 points to use...

Have 50000 FB points left and they expire in "JUNE" which I didn't understand if it meant 1 June or 30 June (because I would be able to use the PROMO AWARDS for two days 29 / 30 June for JUL - AUG...)

Anyway I have a Q re : changing of tickets

-> If I book say a MXP - JFK o/w "classic ticket" in J for November direct flight with FB flying DL (ticketed with my miles now) will I be able, paying the 50 change fee to

a) change the date
b) change the routing / airline??

Do they use the same ticket number and just re-issue the ticket or are your miles re- credited to your account (and in this case I would be afraid of losing them..)

Note : I have not used my FB account for ages except the redeem tickets (had quite a few points..)

many thanks for the help
Old May 30, 11, 10:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post
Have 50000 FB points left and they expire in "JUNE" which I didn't understand if it meant 1 June or 30 June (because I would be able to use the PROMO AWARDS for two days 29 / 30 June for JUL - AUG...)

Anyway I have a Q re : changing of tickets

-> If I book say a MXP - JFK o/w "classic ticket" in J for November direct flight with FB flying DL (ticketed with my miles now) will I be able, paying the 50 change fee to

a) change the date
b) change the routing / airline??

Do they use the same ticket number and just re-issue the ticket or are your miles re- credited to your account (and in this case I would be afraid of losing them..)

Note : I have not used my FB account for ages except the redeem tickets (had quite a few points..)

many thanks for the help
Hello terminalfive,

I am not an expert in FB but I think that paying the 50 fee you will be able to change the date, and probably the airline, but I do not think you can change the routing.

I understand that now you are crediting your miles to Milemiglia or to other ST member. Is it not better to credit just 1 leg to FB so your miles remain valid for another 20 months, and you can probably benefit from a Promo award in this period?

Cheers,
Old May 30, 11, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Some programs will let you donate as few as 1000 miles to a charity. Might be worth checking.
Old May 30, 11, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saviox View Post
Hello terminalfive,

I am not an expert in FB but I think that paying the 50 fee you will be able to change the date, and probably the airline, but I do not think you can change the routing.

I understand that now you are crediting your miles to Milemiglia or to other ST member. Is it not better to credit just 1 leg to FB so your miles remain valid for another 20 months, and you can probably benefit from a Promo award in this period?

Cheers,
Thanks saviox - very true I could put a AZ flight on the account in June but realistically doesn't make much difference for me as obviously I only need one active account (and I need all my flights to keep elite + status, unfortunately don't fly much longhual with SKYTEAM..)

My main Q is (did't really express myself amazingly) if I book a flight say on 25 June (miles they have confirmed will expire END June), can I book a flight say in November and keep on changing it paying the fee?

Once the ticket is issused the fact that your miles would have expired / your account has no activity for the past two years, makes no difference correct? You can date change paying the 50 as much as you want, right?

many thanks!!!

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez View Post
Some programs will let you donate as few as 1000 miles to a charity. Might be worth checking.
Do FB allow you to donate to charity? If so which charities?

Last edited by Gajan; May 31, 11 at 12:20 am
Old May 31, 11, 1:11 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post
Thanks saviox -

Do FB allow you to donate to charity? If so which charities?

Yes, you can give miles to charity, look up the details on the FB partner website. However, I am not sure how this would help you. I guess that the other poster thought that giving a minimum amount of miles to charity would extend the validity of your remaining miles. This is not the case with FB.

Regarding your original question: whether you can change award flights after the date your miles would have been expired, this question has been asked several times in this forum. Unfortunately, I do not remember the answer (I have never been in this situation myself), but you might wish to use the search function to find the relevant threads. (My guess is that there is no definite answer to this, otherwise I would probably have remembered the outcome of the discussions here. I think your approach worked for some people, while others ran into difficulties.)
Old May 31, 11, 4:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by cityflyer369 View Post

Regarding your original question: whether you can change award flights after the date your miles would have been expired, this question has been asked several times in this forum. Unfortunately, I do not remember the answer (I have never been in this situation myself), but you might wish to use the search function to find the relevant threads. (My guess is that there is no definite answer to this, otherwise I would probably have remembered the outcome of the discussions here. I think your approach worked for some people, while others ran into difficulties.)
I had a similar situation with M&M last year. I booked a ticket using miles from a close relative that were about to expire. Later, when the miles had already expired, I changed the dates and I had no problem with it.
I understand that once the ticket is issued, the conditions of the ticket prevail, independently of the situation of the miles.

If it was the opposite, ie. that terminalfive decides from the 1st/July to credit all his flights with ST to FB. In such a case I cannot imagine he can go to FB in November and ask to cancel the award ticket and redeposit the miles in his account, so the above should be OK, but as cityflyer369 mentions, with FB you never know.

Good luck!
Old May 31, 11, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
You must book the ticket immediately. Apparently the expiration date will be some time in June (possibly June 1). Then you can change the date but not the routing. if you change routing, it usually means reissuing the ticket and your miles would have expired.
Old Jun 2, 11, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
You must book the ticket immediately. Apparently the expiration date will be some time in June (possibly June 1). Then you can change the date but not the routing. if you change routing, it usually means reissuing the ticket and your miles would have expired.
Thanks everyone and thanks brunos

phoned up FB again and operator was very helpful and "guarenteed" that my miles would last until 30 june

Great news and therefore I'll wait for promo award on 29 and then decide whether to book a "normal" ticket or a promo for Jul / Aug

lets hope the destinations become "visible" soon

Thanks again everyone

Search this Thread