COPA in alliance or not ?!?!

Old May 23, 11, 6:51 am
Original Poster

COPA in alliance or not ?!?!

On the FB website, as you browse the list of partners (http://www.airfrance.ch/X01/fr/local...os-partenaires), the you find COPA and select COPA, you see that you can earn and redeem miles, and also you can get elite privileges such as lounge access and extra baggage.

However, COPA says the alliance does not exist any more. I spoke with several supervisors, station managers, etc., and they say they only have OnePass (CO) now, and nothing else, not AF/KL FB.

So I get back to FB, and they confirm in writing that COPA is in the alliance. The website even says COPA is SkyTeam, which we know it's not...

So, what to do ? FB says one thing, COPA says another. Either way, whoever is right, I cannot get my benefits.

Does anyone know what the right information is ?
Old May 23, 11, 7:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Copa left the alliance, but I think it's still effective until 1st of June
Old May 23, 11, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
COPA is in close alliance with CO and left ST in 2009 with CO. Apparently AF website is somewhat outdated. However, COPA does have some codeshare with KLM.

Last edited by brunos; May 23, 11 at 10:14 pm
Old May 23, 11, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) Le Club AccorHotels (Gold)
partner but not member

Copa is not in ST but you can win award miles, depending on the BC.
As written on the website these miles are not EQM ( because not a ST member )

"You can earn Miles on all flights marketed CM, AF or KL and operated by Copa Airlines.

You earn:
Business Class: 150% – C, D
Economy Class: 100% – B, H, K, N, V, Y
75% – U
50% – I, L, Q, S, T
25% – O

"Earn a minimum of 500 Award Miles on most tickets for domestic flights. On most tickets for international flights, we offer you a minimum of 750 Award Miles. Award tickets, Air Miles tickets and other similar tickets are not eligible for Miles. Tickets in some classes may earn fewer or no Miles.
Miles earned on Copa Airlines flights will not count towards deciding your membership level. You will also receive Award Miles that you can use to order award tickets."

As written in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...-overview.html

FB Partners: you win award miles but no status miles:

Aircalin (SB)
Airlinair (A5)
Alaska Airlines (AS)./ Horizon Air (QX)
Avianca (AV)
Bangkok Airways (PG)
Air Corsica (XK)
Chalair (CE)
Comair (MN)
COPA Airlines (CM)
GOL
Japan Airlines (JL)
Jet Airways (9W)
Kingfisher Airlines (IT)
Malaysia Airlines (MH)
Malev Hungarian (MA)
Martinair (MP)
Middle East Airlines (ME)
Qantas (QF)
TAAG (DT)
Twin Jet (T7)
Ukraine International Airlines (PS)

I hope our great moderator will update miles earning on AF/KL in the FB sticky, after june 1st.

Last edited by delanotre; May 23, 11 at 9:17 am Reason: partners
Old May 23, 11, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. So until 1 June I should be ok to get miles, lounge access, extra baggage ? But what to do if nobody in COPA seems to know it... ?
Old May 23, 11, 2:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) Le Club AccorHotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by welltravelled88 View Post
Ok thanks. So until 1 June I should be ok to get miles, lounge access, extra baggage ? But what to do if nobody in COPA seems to know it... ?
As Copa is not a Skyteam member, you have no specially rights, except if you fly in business.
Old May 23, 11, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by delanotre View Post
As Copa is not a Skyteam member, you have no specially rights, except if you fly in business.
Well, according to the FB website I do... Excess baggage and lounge access, that's what it says...
Old May 23, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Well, according to the FB website I do... Excess baggage and lounge access, that's what it says...
For some non-Skyteam airlines FB have negotiated extra benefits. COPA seems to be among these. (And it seems that the current information about COPA has been updated because you can find the footnote about no level miles there. Also, they list only 3 benefits there, not the long list you find with Skyteam partners.)

To be on the safe side I would print out the COPA information and show it to COPA staff if they are not aware of the benefits.
Old May 25, 11, 9:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN, AZ Gold, AAdvantage; IHG Gold
-earning miles: yes (although award miles only, not status miles)
-business class check-in: yes
-lounge access: no. Not even at PTY (tried that recently, neither FF Gold nor M&M SEN got me access).

Funny thing is that CM agents would not enter my FB number even when expressedly asked to, however retro-claiming those miles was not a problem. OTOH they were more than happy to enter my M&M number, which did not yield anything.

Last edited by NightFly; May 25, 11 at 10:11 am Reason: last paragraph added
Old Dec 8, 11, 11:31 am

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by NightFly View Post
-lounge access: no. Not even at PTY (tried that recently, neither FF Gold nor M&M SEN got me access).
Same story for Platinum members?

KLM site clearly indicates that club access is offered to Plat members.
Old Dec 9, 11, 8:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
I think COPA is about to join *A (mid 2012?) - together with Avianca/Taca.
Old Dec 9, 11, 1:42 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
I think COPA is about to join *A (mid 2012?) - together with Avianca/Taca.
Correct, mid 2012.
Still I Do know to what extent it will have an impact on current(?)Flying Blue benefits
Old Dec 26, 11, 5:25 am

Copa Club

Privacy and comfort in an exclusive area
At Copa Airlines we understand that business doesn't wait for you while you are traveling. This is why we provide you with the facilities you need to comfortably conduct your business affairs. Plus, it gives you an exclusive area where you can relax and rest.
Through an.alliance in Latin America, Copa Airlines and.United Airlines provide you with exclusive access to three.Copa Clubs; one in the Hub of the Americas in Panama, the second in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and the third in Guatemala City, Guatemala.

Benefits:
  • Global membership and access to any of the.Copa Clubs, United Clubs.and VIP lounges that are part of the Star Alliance.
  • More than 8500 square feet of space available, with a capacity for more than 250 people, at the Tocumen International Airport in Panama City, 3000 square feet available, with a capacity for more than 60 people, at the lounge in Santo Domingo, and and 224 square meters with a capacity of more than 55 people in the Guatemala lounge.
  • An exclusive environment that provides restful and private surroundings.
  • WiFi available in all areas within the.Copa Club.
  • Work stations with Internet access, telephones for making international calls and free local calls, and a photocopy and fax center.
  • Comfortable areas with local and international television stations.
  • A bar area offering a variety of complimentary mixed drinks, wine and beer.
  • Help making reservations and purchasing tickets, as well as reserving seats.
  • A selection of newspapers and magazines. A conference room with a capacity for 6 to 8 people, available at your convenience. *
  • Play room for children. *

*Only available in Panama.

The following passengers have access to our.Copa Clubs:
  • Business Class passengers and/or OnePass Elite Platinum and Gold members traveling in Copa Airlines
  • Star Alliance Gold status passengers on international flights with Star Alliance member airlines.
  • Passengers traveling in Business Class or in First Class on international flights with Star Alliance member airlines
  • United.Club members*
  • Passengers who have daily passes
  • Priority Pass cardholders**
  • Lounge Pass cardholders
  • Club Acela cardholders
  • KLM passengers traveling in Business Class***
  • Passengers who are Flying Blue members with Flying Blue Platinum and Gold Elite Plus***
*All United Club members have access to the lounges at the Copa Club.
** Priority Pass Select Cardholders do not have access to Copa Club rooms.
***Only applicable to the Copa Club in Panama.

http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/n...copa-club.aspx
Old Dec 29, 11, 9:11 pm

I am afraid I was not accepted in the Copa Club at PTY, despite showing the internet page

The - very unpleasant - lady said that I should be on the list by KLM to have access
Old Jan 7, 12, 5:13 pm

Finally in the Copa Club lounge in PTY, for return flight to AMS.

The lounge is quite big, but very crowded and noisy. View over the runway.
Barely
No food except apples, bar where you can order drinks.

Search this Thread