Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn over 50,000 Award Miles with Avis

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Originally Posted by xmurphy
Will be qualified rental if I rent a car for 3 days but return it after 2 and half day?
Probably yes.

Also:

avis-flyingblue: 81€
klm.de / avis.de : 72€

Same Location, same times and dates. (3 Days, Thursday - Sunday)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:11 pm

SUCCESS!!!

My first rental was changed at least 4 times because of incorrect AWD.
Guess what appeared in my AF profile this morning:
04/01/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500
So while its not 600, I am still happy to see that it posted. I returned the rental on the 4th of April, and today is the 13th, so 9 days later.
So I think it work a week later on that monday... so it looks like they provided on the first rental.
I shall wait until the following monday to see the next batch +2000 bonus. Crossing fingers...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:14 pm

btw something really weird
that posting alone extended the expiration of my miles for 2 more years. Should I have really expected that? They were really supposed to expire in 2 months...

I really thought that miles are only extended ONLY if one were to FLY??/

what do you guys think ?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:21 pm

btw upcoming rental price comparison:
For premium car:
avis.com $65 prepay /$80 pay later
avis-AF link: $95 pay later
avis klm link: $115 pay later
avis.co.uk $93 pay later
avis.de $115 pay later.

So in the DC region at least a clear winner is avis.com
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

on Avis.com you will get different rates depending on which country of residence you choose, ie don't use your Preferred profile, when you fill in your address you can choose
a different country
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
on Avis.com you will get different rates depending on which country of residence you choose, ie don't use your Preferred profile, when you fill in your address you can choose
a different country
see the weird thing is that I erase all the cookies so the the browser does not recognise me, and it does not ask you where you are from.

Also another anomaly is that the US website would give you different rates depending on when you query. Super weird... the prices surely fluctuate a lot
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:40 pm

i have been trying to book a car on Avis website with the AWD provided in the promotion.I get the prices displayed but there is a message that its an invalid AWD.
do you guys also get the same or is it unique to me?
how do we work around this?
never mind, i was doing a typo error.

Last edited by mrahul; Apr 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Would you buy 50K FB miles for $360?

Avis is now running a promotion whereby one can get 50K FB miles for 6 rentals of 3 days or more. The Avis near my house will give 3 day weekend rentals for ~$60. Now, I dont really need the rental. SO I will be spending $360 in 6 rentals to earn the 50K miles. Is it worth it?

Consider the worst case scenario that someone is trying to use these miles on domestic Delta flights in order to avoid YQ.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by kyunbit
Avis is now running a promotion whereby one can get 50K FB miles for 6 rentals of 3 days or more. The Avis near my house will give 3 day weekend rentals for ~$60. Now, I dont really need the rental. SO I will be spending $360 in 6 rentals to earn the 50K miles. Is it worth it?

Consider the worst case scenario that someone is trying to use these miles on domestic Delta flights in order to avoid YQ.
to me it is and I am doing it. Its around $50 around my house and that much worth it.

I called AF and had 2 y tix on low with DL and was told DCA-AUA r/t would be 25k r/t vs 35k on DL, so 2 people flying out for a little under $170 after taxes, and rentals that I actually needed. : )
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:12 pm

2nd car returned last sunday and today I saw the 2nd rental appear:
04/07/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500

And no additional bonus, so a call and an email is on the way.
My 3rd rental begins in 2 days. Will keep you folks posted.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by mrahul
i have been trying to book a car on Avis website with the AWD provided in the promotion.I get the prices displayed but there is a message that its an invalid AWD.
do you guys also get the same or is it unique to me?
how do we work around this?
never mind, i was doing a typo error.
The strange thing here is that I input the AWD and it seems to work fine but when i get to the screen (from avis.com) which i have to pick the car, there is also a rate selection ("available rate: lowest rates or AWD K885100 or Insert other AWD" are the options). On my information on the right side, the AWD does not change even if i use the lowest rate (which gives me $65 at LAX) in comparison to $200 if I choose the AWD for this promo. Again regardless of what available rate i pick the AWD does not change on my information about this reservation on the right side of the screen (only the "rate type" changes from lowest to corporate).
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Grrrrr!

Returned a car 1wk ago, thought everything was ok AWD # was on the receipt I got when I returned it.
But when I looked at the final invoice online I see that the field for the AWD is blank!
I calles CS and they said that there are 2 fields to write AWD numbers in, one
of them is just personal information (that was what I saw on the receipt)
and the other field is for rate calculation.
CS said the they could see that the AWD was correctly in the booking and
said the person who checked out the car must have messed with the information.
She wasn't really sure what to do about and said she was going to come back to me, that was a week ago and still not a word.
500 points posted today, fine, but if the AWD number wasn't where it should be
the rental will unlikely count as first rental for this promo.

Exactly the same happened with a rental credited to a BA account, no AWD no extra points, I thought I somehow had made a mistake and left it at that
but when I talked to CS last week I asked them look at that booking as well, and big surprise (not!) the same thing had been done with that booking as well,
AWD was in the right field in the booking confirmation but moved by someone when they checked out the car.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Returned a car 1wk ago, thought everything was ok AWD # was on the receipt I got when I returned it.
But when I looked at the final invoice online I see that the field for the AWD is blank!
I calles CS and they said that there are 2 fields to write AWD numbers in, one
of them is just personal information (that was what I saw on the receipt)
and the other field is for rate calculation.
CS said the they could see that the AWD was correctly in the booking and
said the person who checked out the car must have messed with the information.
She wasn't really sure what to do about and said she was going to come back to me, that was a week ago and still not a word.
500 points posted today, fine, but if the AWD number wasn't where it should be
the rental will unlikely count as first rental for this promo.

Exactly the same happened with a rental credited to a BA account, no AWD no extra points, I thought I somehow had made a mistake and left it at that
but when I talked to CS last week I asked them look at that booking as well, and big surprise (not!) the same thing had been done with that booking as well,
AWD was in the right field in the booking confirmation but moved by someone when they checked out the car.
lesson learned mate. They have 48 hours to close the contract because of issues like that. I had to go back 4 times during my first rental to make sure that the right AWD was on there.
They gave me so many excuses that its not funny, but I was firm and was not going to get away until they fixed it. So always stand your ground and you will eventually get what you ask for. Avis is one of the premium rental companies so they will take care of you.

Nothing is lost but do harass them until all is done. : )
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Thanks libuser for all of the regular updates!
I have my first rental coming up next week...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Could anybody tell me how I can find out if my local Avis participates in this scheme? (No one here at the Brisbane Avis has ever heard of Flying Blue, so there is no chance of directly asking them about this promotion.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.