Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn over 50,000 Award Miles with Avis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Evan!
However, on FT there is a big fallacy when it comes to what FF miles are worth. Let's say tomorrow airlines chart charging $5 coast-to-coast RT. You cash in 25K FF miles and you call it worth $5. The next day the same tickets sell for $500. So 25K is now worth $500.

Yes, if someone takes out of their pocket $500 but INSTEAD puts it back in because they used 25K miles then the miles are worth $500. But how many of us are even able to take $10,000 out of our pocket and buy a FC seat? If you are then whatever miles you redeem are indeed worth $10K because you now have $10 more money in your pocket.

I took the Concorde with miles back in 2003. I don't consider myself having a value of $30K for the two tickets from my miles. I still consider the miles worth $1000 which was all that I possibly could have spent on the trip to Paris. So the miles are worth $1000 dollars to me because that $1000 stayed in my bank account.
Exactly. That's why I wrote above that the value of miles depends on what you want to do with them and how much you would be willing to pay for that flight.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Originally Posted by bworrell
Well... this is frustrating... I just did my 3rd rental yet it showed up as my 2nd:

04/08/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500
05/04/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500
05/25/2011 PROMOTION AVIS 2 000
05/25/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500

I'm also not getting the online booking bonus. Has anyone had success getting this fixed? I think I'll wait until my next rental posts before trying (renting right now)...
The Online Rental Bonus only applys for bookings made via avis-flyingblue.com or the websites of klm or airfrance. I contacted FlyingBlue and they fixed the problem quite fast.

But i am still waiting for my first bonus to post.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Exactly. That's why I wrote above that the value of miles depends on what you want to do with them and how much you would be willing to pay for that flight.
And that's also why this Avis deal is a bargain for some, and not worth it for others. But I think the miles are relatively "cheap" compared to many other deals....if you regularly rent cars of course.

Had my 3d rental correctly posted a few days ago, probably will make all 6.

Last edited by Zembla; Jun 12, 2011 at 11:59 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Well... this is frustrating... I just did my 3rd rental yet it showed up as my 2nd:

04/08/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500
05/04/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500
05/25/2011 PROMOTION AVIS 2 000
05/25/2011 CAR RENTAL AVIS 500

I'm also not getting the online booking bonus. Has anyone had success getting this fixed? I think I'll wait until my next rental posts before trying (renting right now)...
So the problem is either the 1st or the 2nd rental, if you check the invoices (and they might look different depending on where you're renting)
does it say " X% discount (on time and mileage only), or is there a negative amount where it says Rate Information (see below)

Visa ************1234

Rate Information

3 DY @ 80.99 80.99

Taxable Extras

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) 0.00
VEH LIC FEE 3.93

Taxable Subtotal 82.49
TAX 20.000% 16.50
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
So the problem is either the 1st or the 2nd rental, if you check the invoices (and they might look different depending on where you're renting)
does it say " X% discount (on time and mileage only), or is there a negative amount where it says Rate Information (see below)
Thank you for your help. I found where the problem was... even though I called the rental location and they supposedly corrected the AWD, it was never done. Since this was the 5/4 rental I'm sure it's going to be a pain to get fixed, but it's been escalated to a manager. I'm guessing I'll have to re-do this rental unfortunately.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
After reading about all the problems I am quite happy I didn't take the bait
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I found where the problem was... even though I called the rental location and they supposedly corrected the AWD, it was never done. Since this was the 5/4 rental I'm sure it's going to be a pain to get fixed, but it's been escalated to a manager. I'm guessing I'll have to re-do this rental unfortunately.
as I mentioned before, CS got the idea that the station do a new contract with all the details correct but €0 charges. Well they did, but for 0 days and 0hours and unsurprisingly I got 0 miles
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by cfischer
After reading about all the problems I am quite happy I didn't take the bait
Never got any issue...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:29 am

Just returned rental 4. Miles plus bonus miles posted correctly. Will do 2 more and call it a day. : )
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
So, 4 rentals has been credited to my account and I only got 500 points for each, no gold bonus either.

The 5th rental was in Mauritius and it's a frenchaise so I doubt I will get any
miles at all, on top of everything the contract only has 7 digits so I can't file a
claim for missing miles online either.
Is anyone having problems claiming the extra bonus as Gold? FB in Canada says I must send (fax) in a request to FB Paris as they said that they can't handle this over the phone!!!

So I call Paris # and they seem much nicer about it ! Turned out the the French # is in fact rerouted to the Netherlands. The CS agent says that she will send a message to France to adjust my account to get the 600 miles. And the 100 extra bonus miles as well. We'll just have to see if it really happens!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is anyone having problems claiming the extra bonus as Gold? FB in Canada says I must send (fax) in a request to FB Paris as they said that they can't handle this over the phone!!!

So I call Paris # and they seem much nicer about it ! Turned out the the French # is in fact rerouted to the Netherlands. The CS agent says that she will send a message to France to adjust my account to get the 600 miles. And the 100 extra bonus miles as well. We'll just have to see if it really happens!
no Gold bonus here, only 500 miles for each rental
so is it AVIS or FB who is responsible for giving you the extra 100 points?

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:51 am
formerly known as CARTflagman

Red face

Originally Posted by david-alexis
Never got any issue...
Really? I don't think anyone has received 50k bonus miles yet, did you?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
Not yet

I've completed my six rentals.

Contacted Avis but they noted that since there's no promo or coupon code associated with this rental that it's the airline's responsibility to ensure that the 50K are posted.

Makes sense to me.

So, I contacted Flying Blue customer service and it's now in their hands.

Will post back when & if the 50K posts.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
no Gold bonus here, only 500 miles for each rental
so is it AVIS or FB who is responsible for giving you the extra 100 points?
no plat bonus , here either
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Americanada
I've completed my six rentals.

Contacted Avis but they noted that since there's no promo or coupon code associated with this rental that it's the airline's responsibility to ensure that the 50K are posted.

Makes sense to me.

So, I contacted Flying Blue customer service and it's now in their hands.

Will post back when & if the 50K posts.
AVIS blame FB, and FB blame AVIS - classic

Don't be surprised if AVIS customer service doesn't have a clue, one would
expect that they are informed about various promos and how they work, but
that is obviously not the case.

What will trigger this promo is 3 a days rental with the right AWD in the right place, and a counter keeps track on how many times you have rented.
Sounds simple enough, provided the IT dept hasn't done any mistakes.

You said you've done 6 rentals, did you get a bonus for any of the?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.