Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] Changes to Air France/KLM co-branded American Express cards [France]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] Changes to Air France/KLM co-branded American Express cards [France]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: CO Gold, FB Silver
AMEX trying to promote the new bogus card :(

Hi,

Looks like AMEX is launching a campaign to promote the new demoted card series. I just had some merry guy on the phone 15 mins ago who wanted to talk to me about the wonderful new cards.

He clearly wasn't expecting my reaction, when I told him that I was infuriated by the new conditions and the new gold card was a bad joke. Told him I plan to switch to a silver card once my current card is up for renewal.

I hope everybody will let them know just how outrageous the new card conditions are when they receive the call....

Jes
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by jarino
Does the French AMEX really stop FB miles from expiring by "itself"? As long as you earn status miles, the regular 20 months expiry is postponed anyway. But status miles will be stopped, and then?
Yes, the card (when used) stops FB miles from expiring. The same condition is for the Dutch card, which never earned status miles.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have the Dutch card and noticed that this month they substantially cut the amount of miles. Usually they provide 2 miles per Euro spent (I have the 'plus option'). This month I received maybe 1.5 miles per Euro? About 800 miles less than expected.

Did anybody notice the same or is this a fluke?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:31 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I have the Dutch card and noticed that this month they substantially cut the amount of miles. Usually they provide 2 miles per Euro spent (I have the 'plus option'). This month I received maybe 1.5 miles per Euro? About 800 miles less than expected.

Did anybody notice the same or is this a fluke?
Based on own experience their was a problem last month with posting of miles. Maybe the problems have not yet been solved.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Gajan
Based on own experience their was a problem last month with posting of miles. Maybe the problems have not yet been solved.
Yes, I hadn't paid attention, but last month I got no miles from the Dutch card. However this months tally just posted, correctly at 2 miles per €. Hmmm.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
Thats what they told me as well, but last month I correctly received miles. They are trying to figure out what happened, so far the lady at the phone was pretty much flabbergasted though :-X

Lets see if they will in fact call back; last time they forgot. Service going downhill at Amex...

Another thing I noticed is that they round the amount of miles down? For example 195,50 euro spent equals, imho, 391 miles (x2 option). They however transfer 380. This happens every month - pretty much always about 10 miles too few are transferred.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thats what they told me as well, but last month I correctly received miles. They are trying to figure out what happened, so far the lady at the phone was pretty much flabbergasted though :-X

Lets see if they will in fact call back; last time they forgot. Service going downhill at Amex...

Another thing I noticed is that they round the amount of miles down? For example 195,50 euro spent equals, imho, 391 miles (x2 option). They however transfer 380. This happens every month - pretty much always about 10 miles too few are transferred.
Do you pay sometimes in other types then euro? You don't get miles for the yearly membership costs for instance or the commission they charge on foreign payments. (which is incredibly anyway, American Express but payments in America you pay extra for
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: FB Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
It's confirmed. Husband has (French) FB gold AMEX with me as an additional card holder since he doesn't fly. Our combined spend gets him to Gold easily. From 18 November ONLY award miles for AMEX spend, NO LEVEL MILES. Sorry if someone posted this. We got our letter about 2 - 3 weeks ago and have been trying to figure out what to do. In any case, whatever we do, it involves less money going to AMEX!! And if you read the fine pront in the customer letter very carefully, they are "blaming" it on AF/KL deciding to keep status for people who actually fly...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: SkyTeam/FlyingBlue Plat - AMEX/AF
Totally PortiaEliot !
At the end less money for the AmexAF for sure on my side too...
Still interested in any other tricks to work on... (other Europan AMexAF)... I guess DutchAmexKLM is the only option for the moment... Until this changes too... Sooo not cool.
I would have thought that maybe the "plat amex" (500eur !) would have maybe been their marketing trick to keep status miles for them... or for AF "only" purchases...
Would have been somekinda "ok deal" for those for whom it matters... But seems they don't care about anything like this !
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I remembered that my card's anniversary was sometime in November but couldn't remember when. I called Amex. It's November 8th. No 4 status segments on anniversary for me this year. And if I cancel my card, I won't get the December one-time 4 segments bonus either. 8 free segments would have come handy. It would have pushed me immediately to 61 segments, freeing up the rest of my year to get to UA 1K. Fuuuu...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by portiaeliot
AF/KL deciding to keep status for people who actually fly...
Which is exactly what FF programs should be about, and whom it is for.

Johan
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
I remembered that my card's anniversary was sometime in November but couldn't remember when. I called Amex. It's November 8th. No 4 status segments on anniversary for me this year. And if I cancel my card, I won't get the December one-time 4 segments bonus either. 8 free segments would have come handy. It would have pushed me immediately to 61 segments, freeing up the rest of my year to get to UA 1K. Fuuuu...
Will there be actually some kind of incentive for those qualifying by "miles" and not "segments" ? (8 segments offered on one hand OR maybe 5000/8000 status miles ?

I guess absolutely not, but just asking...
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AlexanderCDG
Will there be actually some kind of incentive for those qualifying by "miles" and not "segments" ? (8 segments offered on one hand OR maybe 5000/8000 status miles ?

I guess absolutely not, but just asking...
No incentive. 4 segments and that's all. They are credited every year at the anniversary date of your card, except for 2011 for which they will be credited in december.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
No incentive. 4 segments and that's all. They are credited every year at the anniversary date of your card, except for 2011 for which they will be credited in december.
Thanks for info Goldorak...
Sadly again, strictly no advantages for me as i don t qualify be segments and will only rarely / or never do (for Plat).
I think i'll quite the AF-Amex Plat.. unless they happen to do an alternate like the "plus option" in the NL, Status Miles for AF tickets, or somekinda for AmexPlat...
Otherwise too bad !
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: Many
Do I correclty understand that as of 18th November, French and Dutch FB Amex card will be almost the same?

And that French holders would have lost the benefit of status miles earning whereas Dutch holders would have lost the benefits of both FB status sharing and generous miles earning scheme?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.