Using Award Miles to meet Elite status threshold

Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Using Award Miles to meet Elite status threshold

Unless I'm missing something, my FlyingBlue account lists me as having zero Level Miles, but 30,000+ Award Miles. I'll probably be at least doubling that number when I transfer in some Starwoods points from my AMEX. Now is it possible to "use" Awards Miles to upgrade to Silver from Ivory?

If not, is it possible I am just reading my statement wrong? I usually book my flights on Air France the cheapest way possible, but I figure I'd have SOME level miles.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Harry,

Originally Posted by HarryLime
Unless I'm missing something, my FlyingBlue account lists me as having zero Level Miles, but 30,000+ Award Miles. I'll probably be at least doubling that number when I transfer in some Starwoods points from my AMEX. Now is it possible to "use" Awards Miles to upgrade to Silver from Ivory?

If not, is it possible I am just reading my statement wrong? I usually book my flights on Air France the cheapest way possible, but I figure I'd have SOME level miles.

Thanks!
Since this is the beginning of the year, your level mile counter will just have reset. Level miles are earned during the calendar year.

No, you cannot use your award miles to get elite status.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
An award trip (booked with award miles) gives you 0 award miles, 0 status miles and 0 status flights. So, no way.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:40 am

The ability to "buy" your status within FB is limited to those members located in France who use their purchases on their FB AMEX card to buy their status.

It is currently not possible to buy status even more directly such as thousands of Americans do on Delta or to sacrifice/convert your award miles balance to retain status during the next year.

Personally, I can understand why someone whose traveling is decreasing temporarily or who is no longer able to make elite because of FB's absurd earning rules would want to stretch their elite status in this way.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Gold
If you plan your (business) trips ahead and have some time to spare, it costs around max 3000 Eur per year to get Plat ( 15x 4-segments a 200 Eur). You can see it as an investment to become Plat for Life for a total of 30K Eur.
In the end it is a little bit more as one weekend every 4 weeks for 10 years in a row .
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by lowestpaidsap
If you plan your (business) trips ahead and have some time to spare, it costs around max 3000 Eur per year to get Plat ( 15x 4-segments a 200 Eur). You can see it as an investment to become Plat for Life for a total of 30K Eur.
In the end it is a little bit more as one weekend every 4 weeks for 10 years in a row .
Hmmm. Let's see 30K euros investment on something that has what value exactly? In a program that each year becomes less and less and that AFKL can terminate at any time without notice?

Why not put the 30K as a downpayment on a nice summer house in France?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:37 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by lowestpaidsap
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Hmmm. Let's see 30K euros investment on something that has what value exactly? In a program that each year becomes less and less and that AFKL can terminate at any time without notice?

And if you are hardly be going to be using it afterwards, I would say it is pretty much a waste of money. Frequent flier status is not everything in life (wow, I cannot believe I said that on Flyertalk)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Gold

A life long free UNOX soup and Heineken beer a volonte! Who would say no to that?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The ability to "buy" your status within FB is limited to those members located in France who use their purchases on their FB AMEX card to buy their status.

It is currently not possible to buy status even more directly such as thousands of Americans do on Delta or to sacrifice/convert your award miles balance to retain status during the next year.
Or you can ask/bribe somebody with an AMEX card to gift you status; the FB Plus Amex cards allow to gift status to two people. I have gifted my gf status this way, now she has FB Gold status while only flying a few times a year.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Or you can ask/bribe somebody with an AMEX card to gift you status; the FB Plus Amex cards allow to gift status to two people. I have gifted my gf status this way, now she has FB Gold status while only flying a few times a year.
is that so? the NL version?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Mickey4finger
is that so? the NL version?
Indeed. You need to have a Dutch bank account. The annual fee of €85 includes three cards. If you pay €50 you can get a fourth card with the same level of the main cardholder.

Gajan
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
Originally Posted by Gajan
Indeed. You need to have a Dutch bank account. The annual fee of €85 includes three cards. If you pay €50 you can get a fourth card with the same level of the main cardholder.

Gajan
ok i know that one but that's for family etc right? because it's all on the same AMEX account?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Mickey4finger
ok i know that one but that's for family etc right? because it's all on the same AMEX account?
No, it can be anyone you know.
Amex does not really care who gets the card, as long as the main cardholder pays the bill (he/she is responsible for all payments done with the main card & sub cards).
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
No, it can be anyone you know.
Amex does not really care who gets the card, as long as the main cardholder pays the bill (he/she is responsible for all payments done with the main card & sub cards).
ok, but he or she (main accout holder) needs to pay the bill ;-)

so i'm not giving it away to my neighbor or something! hehe
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:14 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Basically what I have done in the past is order the extra cards on their name, but let them be shipped to my own address. Their Flying Blue profile at klm.com or airfrance.com will be upgraded to the new status, and I keep the extra cards home to make sure they don't 'accidentally' use it to purchase stuff.

In fact they wont even find out the card #. Plus the cards will, of course, not be activated (= not usable for payments). The upgrade at Flying Blue is enough for them to use the lounges and so on.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jan 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.