Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Award Miles to meet Elite status threshold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:41 am

Programs: Many
To be precise, I was not talking about status match but nomination.

Example :
- FB Plat member gives his status to a fellow through Dutch Amex
- It happens fellow is a United 1K who has hit the 175K EQM threshold therefore could give a MP member 1P status (*A Gold)
- 1P is given to FB Plat

Conclusion : both are ST Elite Plus and *A Gold.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I am sure that could be done, only need a place where these people can meet.

Gajan
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:52 am

The Coupon Connection maybe?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:37 am

Talking

Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
I hope you blocked this card with Amex, posting a copy of your card with security code ...
I am afraid this is too late : Amex has used my number to promote their cards

Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Basically what I have done in the past is order the extra cards on their name, but let them be shipped to my own address. Their Flying Blue profile at klm.com or airfrance.com will be upgraded to the new status, and I keep the extra cards home to make sure they don't 'accidentally' use it to purchase stuff.

In fact they wont even find out the card #. Plus the cards will, of course, not be activated (= not usable for payments). The upgrade at Flying Blue is enough for them to use the lounges and so on.
That sounds good! Anyone here with gold or platinum status that likes to help me out? In theory how would this affect my own Ivory FB Amex? The status of the secondary card will overrule my primary card when flying? Does this give me a new FB number or will it add a note to my existing FB number?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by KLeM
That sounds good! Anyone here with gold or platinum status that likes to help me out? In theory how would this affect my own Ivory FB Amex? The status of the secondary card will overrule my primary card when flying? Does this give me a new FB number or will it add a note to my existing FB number?
It is not possible to have two AmEx cards linked to one FB account (one time as main cardholder and one time as sub cardholder).
You can get a new FB number and use the status when flying and book awards using your Ivory account.

Gajan
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
As Gajan said, it's not possible to connect two Amex cards with your FB-number.

I know that's not what you want to do, but for others this warning:

And there is another "problem". As secondary cardholder you get the status of the main cardholder. So if you (ivory-member) -as primary cardholder- happens to accept a platinum-member as secondary cardholder, this poor guy will loose his status immediately...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Brobbel
And there is another "problem". As secondary cardholder you get the status of the main cardholder. So if you (ivory-member) -as primary cardholder- happens to accept a platinum-member as secondary cardholder, this poor guy will loose his status immediately...
I think KLeM wants some PE/GE to gift him/her the status through the American Express thus lifting KLem's status to PE/GE. This would lead to American Express cancelling his/her Ivory American Express.

The only situation which would be available is that KLeM would obtain a second FB number which would have the PE/GE status and his own FB number coupled to his own Ivory American Express.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
I think KLeM wants some PE/GE to gift him/her the status through the American Express thus lifting KLem's status to PE/GE. This would lead to American Express cancelling his/her Ivory American Express.

The only situation which would be available is that KLeM would obtain a second FB number which would have the PE/GE status and his own FB number coupled to his own Ivory American Express.
I know this wasn't what KLeM wanted to do, I only mentioned the warning for other Ivory-Amex-members.

And you are only allowed to have one FB number per person.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver

Thanks for the answers! There's one last option, changing my FB Amex to regular Amex while pairing my own FB number to the FB Plats secondary Amex card. Been saving my miles anyway so switching to Amex Rewards is fine... I even booked three normal fare flights recently (something I hadn't done since january 2008)...

@Brobbel: Why anyone would want a secondary FB Amex Ivory is beyond me, so the risk of a FB plat losing his status over this is very low.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:52 am

Thanks for the answers! There's one last option, changing my FB Amex to regular Amex while pairing my own FB number to the FB Plats secondary Amex card. Been saving my miles anyway so switching to Amex Rewards is fine... I even booked three normal fare flights recently (something I hadn't done since january 2008)...

@Brobbel: Why anyone would want a secondary FB Amex Ivory is beyond me, so the risk of a FB plat losing his status over this is very low.
When I was only Ivory my wife had a partnercard. She went the same way from Ivory to Platinum as I did, but the main reason was simply giving her a partnercard on my account, so I should collect the creditcardmiles from both of us.

And some years ago someone was Plat, partner was Plat also. He softlanded to Gold, while his partner earned enough miles for Plat. They found out that the partner was downgraded to Gold also, just because of the Amex. And that was not what they wanted... So this wasn't a downgrade to Ivory, but you have the picture.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
I wonder if anyone has ever traded his ST Elite Plus status through NL Amex against a *A Gold nomination. That might be a pretty good deal.
When BD were still active in the Dutch market, you could have just shown them your FB card, and they'd have given you a nice shiny *G (for FB Plats and FB Golds).

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 24, 2011 at 3:05 am Reason: wrong status match details!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
When BD were still active in the Dutch market, you could have just shown them your FB card, and they'd have given you a nice shiny *G (for FB Golds and FB Silvers).
I think BD still offer status matches to FB members.
Continental is also pretty good, only they have recently changed their status match to a promo. You get the status for 90 days first in which you need to earn at least XXK miles for the status to become permanent.

Gajan
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Continental is also pretty good, only they have recently changed their status match to a promo. You get the status for 90 days first in which you need to earn at least XXK miles for the status to become permanent.

Gajan
Ah, rats!! That's exactly the UA way (so probably pre-merger change). In the UA case you even had to fly the XXk miles with UA ONLY and not any *A partner. Horrible!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

Gajan
Diamond Club (DC) members (BD FFP program) have been automatically transferred to M&M in several countries (e.g. Neth), so there can be no status match for Dutch and several other nationals. They have to get a status match by LH. France is still a country where DC is valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.