Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

How to handle INVOL REROUTE flights wrt to mileage and compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle INVOL REROUTE flights wrt to mileage and compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by ixs
I'm tempted to just let it slide as after some initial balking KLM was willing to reroute me. What would you do? Claim that? Let it slide? Be happy with the TDC voucher?
It depends on how happy you are with AF/KL.
I am currently in good mood with AF/KL so I would personally "let it slide" and write a letter to thank them for accepting my request and the TDC voucher you have been provided.

Ciao
Ulxima
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:37 am

digging out this thread to know if the reverse can be done
i had an original LH MUC-MEX booked, but was rerouted 2 days after (christmas period...) on an AMS-MEX on KLM..
i have asked United to credit my MUC/MEX flight. no worries about this, they just need to check my LH eticket # number

but on checkin of the KLM flight, i gave my FB number, but 3 days after the miles did not show up
Can i expect miles fro the klm flight ? i imeagine yes, as LH has paid the ticket (even if it s probably with bilateral agreement prices)
If yes, how i claim them ? is there any way to check the class bucket i was rerouted ?
thanks
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Have you tried the 'Claim missing miles' function on the Flying Blue website? Make sure to enter the e-ticket # that contains your KLM segment(s). If that doesn't work you could try asking them on social media, but I don't give many chances that they will be willing to do it. They know that you will be receiving miles from LH.

As a comparison, I had AZ flights and was rerouted onto KLM recently. When trying to claim the KLM segment the system said it was not eligible. I had to contact them to get the AZ sectors credited.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:12 pm

i tried but , indeed , it says the ticket is not eligible
i will request it through FB, we ll see
regarding miles on MM program, i can say that i am not a member
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Is there is a possibility that their refusal is due to the fact they don't have access to the ticket price to calculate the number of miles to be earned, now that the program is revenue based ?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bebert
digging out this thread to know if the reverse can be done
i had an original LH MUC-MEX booked, but was rerouted 2 days after (christmas period...) on an AMS-MEX on KLM..
i have asked United to credit my MUC/MEX flight. no worries about this, they just need to check my LH eticket # number

but on checkin of the KLM flight, i gave my FB number, but 3 days after the miles did not show up
Can i expect miles fro the klm flight ? i imeagine yes, as LH has paid the ticket (even if it s probably with bilateral agreement prices)
If yes, how i claim them ? is there any way to check the class bucket i was rerouted ?
thanks
If I am right you try to get United AND FB miles for the same flight? That obviously cannot work, it is either United or FB.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
If I am right you try to get United AND FB miles for the same flight? That obviously cannot work, it is either United or FB.
why not? it works fine the other way around, as long as the airlines are on different alliances, KLM will credit you the "original routing" miles and you can claim the miles for the actual flown flight as well.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:29 am

actually, i had years ago a rerouting from AA to LH, and was able to claim miles in both program
As said Ditto, i am not sure that LH and AFKLM interacts on miles credit for a unique ticket #
let's try at least

on a side note , UAP refuses to credit the original booking from LH as the ticket was not on UA stock
I could credit on LH MM, but not interested to open a new program for one flight
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
usually it works well in that kind of circumstances.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Goldorak
usually it works well in that kind of circumstances.
Hhhm maybe it can be done indeed under the circumstances (you claim with KL and since you travel with LH you get miles using a *A ff card you may have miles there too, and they do not notice since no linked systems) but in essence I feel it is using a loophole for claiming credits twice that you only deserve once. And, who knows, if airlines help each other with re-routing, they may do sometimes do so agreeing that the ticket for the new carrier is in a special fare bucket that has no right on miles.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Hhhm maybe it can be done indeed under the circumstances (you claim with KL and since you travel with LH you get miles using a *A ff card you may have miles there too, and they do not notice since no linked systems) but in essence I feel it is using a loophole for claiming credits twice that you only deserve once. And, who knows, if airlines help each other with re-routing, they may do sometimes do so agreeing that the ticket for the new carrier is in a special fare bucket that has no right on miles.
I doubt that there is a "special" fare bucket for retouting. And the double credit usually works with most airlines. The true credit should be on FB as KL is the flown airline. And the airline forced to do the reroute commonly agrees to credit miles on it, as it was what the pax originally purchased. It is not really a loophole but a commonly adopted practice by most airlines in case of involuntary reroute. However, I don't know if that works when it involve a third airline FFP (UA).

Did you check if your FB number was on your boarding pass? If no number is shown, you should claim.
However, a major hurdle could be that FB has a tough time determining the XP, as mentioned by Goldorak. But that should only be a technical issue. You flew KL on a paid ticket (LH paid) and you have no other ST FFP number in the system.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

And, who knows, if airlines help each other with re-routing, they may do sometimes do so agreeing that the ticket for the new carrier is in a special fare bucket that has no right on miles.
Outside JV and, to a lesser extent, alliance partners, there is no special fare bucket or no reduced price agreed. Airlines pay the real public fares available at the time of rebooking. And miles credit is the least of their concern. So you can imagine it’s costing them a fortune as last minute tickets are always very expensive. This is why airlines are alsways reluctant to rebook pax on other airlines.

Originally Posted by brunos
However, a major hurdle could be that FB has a tough time determining the XP, as mentioned by Goldorak. But that should only be a technical issue. You flew KL on a paid ticket (LH paid) and you have no other ST FFP number in the system.
Determining the XP is easy, but determining the number of miles to be credited might be the problem here.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:56 am

just a quick update on the original thread
- UA said Now ay to credit a LH paid KL flown segment following involuntary rerouting
- FB desk told me "the contract" does not allow to have KL or AF flown segment if not bought under an AF/KL ticket

Which is strange as LH has surely paid something

In a nutshell , i am stick to credit a segment to the original company ie LH, in which i have no interest to start building miles that would expire 2/3 years after ( this is exactly why i park my milesunder the UA FFP which has no termination as long as you credit from time to time something)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your choices here are to credit LH or KL and you may perhaps get both if you are lucky.

There is no way that UA will credit you for a flight operated by LH as it was cancelled and it is LH which buys those miles from UA. LH may, as a courtest credit you in its program for the original routing credit (ORC). You may also credit to KL (and might get away with both) because KL operated the flight you flew.

Don't get tied up in who paid for what ticket as that is irrelevant to program operation and sorts itself out in the back office. So:
1. UA = No
2. KL= Yes
3. LH = Likely yes
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:47 am

i agree with your analysis
Except that the Flying Blue Desk , handling the retrocredit miles, despite having the BP , tells me no way to credit on their program
Surprising...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.