Voyageur Rewards

Old Mar 22, 10, 1:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,350
Voyageur Rewards

I know this is not directly related to Flying Blue, but this is a FFP question...

Have just signed up with Voyageur Rewards and am wondering if any of you have experience with this programme dedicated to SME.

Availability of seats, ease of booking etc.

Any insider tips will be welcome. We are starting to accumulate points and I guess planning ahead is the essence of success as with any FFP.
carnarvon is offline  
Old Mar 22, 10, 2:00 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,973
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
I know this is not directly related to Flying Blue, but this is a FFP question...

Have just signed up with Voyageur Rewards and am wondering if any of you have experience with this programme dedicated to SME.

Availability of seats, ease of booking etc.

Any insider tips will be welcome. We are starting to accumulate points and I guess planning ahead is the essence of success as with any FFP.
I would answer but it will be pointless: VR is merging with KLM's 'bluebiz' (there is a thread about that) so things will change quite dramatically. So far, it seems to me that VR is ok but not great (hard to accrue except on full fare, and only AF-KL, not Skyteam, points expire quite quickly, free ticket levels ok for economy but really high for business or upgrades, etc)
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jan 9, 11, 11:04 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I would answer but it will be pointless: VR is merging with KLM's 'bluebiz' (there is a thread about that) so things will change quite dramatically. So far, it seems to me that VR is ok but not great (hard to accrue except on full fare, and only AF-KL, not Skyteam, points expire quite quickly, free ticket levels ok for economy but really high for business or upgrades, etc)
As you say, points expire....

So, am now thinking of trying to use my VR points. Don't have that many, so no biz class long haul.

The opinion is quite unanimous that FB miles are best used with C class long haul.

What about VR points? Any "common sense" rule of the thumb, based on experience (I have none with this programme)?

Thanks to all for your answers.

P.S. : One thing unrelated to my query is that the booking engine does not allow open jaw tickets; how stupid... I have contacted them by email and will see what thye say.
carnarvon is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:34 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,350
Use of voyageur Rewards Points

Looks like few people are interested in this subject

Anyhow, he is my input. After making some research, it looks like the trend is similar as with FB miles : the more expensive the ticket, the more efficient the use of VR points. € 0.4 / point for cheaper tickets to almost € 1.00 / point for more expensive ones.

I have very few points though, so can only compare for short haul Y class tickets, hence my question here hoping people with more experience would share it with us.

P.S. One thing though : open jaw tickets are NOT possible. This is idiotic, but they confirmed on the phone that there are some limitations are this is one of them. No reason given.
carnarvon is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
I have a French VR account but I do not seem to understand how the redeeming chart works.
bodory is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:32 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
I have a French VR account but I do not seem to understand how the redeeming chart works.
There is no redeeming chart!

What you have to do is make a mock reservation (from to) with the dates following the link "use my points" then "book a flight (or something equivalent)".

You will be asked for your SME-xxxxx number and pass word. It will work like for a paid ticket : different times, different prices (in points).

At one point or another, you will have a message if the number of points on your account e is not enough for the booking you are trying to do. It will however tell you "this trip requires xxx points and you only have yyy).
carnarvon is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:37 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
That is what I understood : 1 VR point is worth 0,xx EUR.

Therefore the availabilty is depending on the yield. With my current number of points, I have been able to make dummy bookings on CDG-NYC return in Voyageur but not for one way.
bodory is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
Also, I find crediting points to be quite long. In my experience, it takes 2 months.
bodory is offline  
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
That is what I understood : 1 VR point is worth 0,xx EUR.
In Spain, if I understood it correctly, 1 VR(now BlueBiz) = 1 €.

Booking has to be done via the Blue Biz web and it would be the same as booking a paid ticket, but with some limitations(ie. does not allow open jaw as others have mentioned here, and probably others).
You pay with the Blue Biz points which are considered as currency, and the restrictions would be the same as the normal ticket.
more4less is offline  
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
I have just made 2 dummy bookings on both VR and regular AF engines (French site). Here is what I get :
  1. PAR-BOD return
    with VR : booked in R and N : 275 points
    with EUR : booked in R and N : 73 (Fare) + 50 (Taxes ans surcharges) + 3 (fees) = 126 EUR
  1. PAR-CPH return
    with VR : booked in R and R : 250 points
    with EUR : booked in N and R : 18 (Fare) + 77 (Taxes ans surcharges) + 1 (fees) = 96 EUR

I used the exact same flights at the exact same dates.
bodory is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 3:52 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
I have just received an e-mail from VR informing me that as of November 7th, VR in France will become BlueBiz. The new T&Cs are attached to the mail but without further information about the earning and spending schemes and the associated value of points.

I currently have some thousands points in my French VR account.

Anyone with some insights to enlight me : should I burn my VR points soon or is it worth waiting for the announced "enhancements"?
bodory is offline  
Old Sep 14, 11, 11:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
I have just received an e-mail from VR informing me that as of November 7th, VR in France will become BlueBiz. The new T&Cs are attached to the mail but without further information about the earning and spending schemes and the associated value of points.

I currently have some thousands points in my French VR account.

Anyone with some insights to enlight me : should I burn my VR points soon or is it worth waiting for the announced "enhancements"?
Hi bodory,

looking your January post I do not know what is best.

For your info, in Spain they merged the KLM and AF programs around 1 year ago. Last January I managed to purchased a ticket with Blue Biz points(theorical value 1 point = 1 euro) at the same cost as if I had paid for it with money.
more4less is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 3:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
Hi saviox,

It seems the earning scheme of Blue Biz differs from the VR one. If I compare the current earning tables on ES and FR sites for AF, here is what I got :

  • Intercontinental return flights (direct/connecting)
First P-F : 300/300
Business Class J - C -D : 140/180
Business Class I - Z : 110/150
Premium Economy S - A - W : 70/90
Economy Flex Y - B - M : 38/50
Economy Restricted U - K - H - L : 24/30
Economy Restricted Q - T - N - R : 10/16
Promos & Groups G : 2/4
  • Intra-Europe return flights (direct/connecting)
Business J - C - Z : 80/80
Premium Economy Y - W - S - A : 40/40
Economy Flex B - M - U : 24/24
Economy Restricted K - H - Q - L - T - E : 12/12
Economy Promo N - R - G : 2/4

Versus

  • Intercontinental return flights
First P-F : 500
Business J - C -D - I - Z : 250
Premium Voyageur / Alizé W - S - A : 200
Voyageur 1 Y - B - M : 120
Voyageur 2 U - K - H - L : 50
Voyageur 3 Q - T - N - R : 20
  • European return flights
Premium Affaires J - C - D - Z : 120
Premium Eco W - S - A : 80
Voyageur 1 B - M - U : 60
Voyageur 2 K - H - Q : 30
Voyageur 3 T - E : 10
  • French domestic return flights
Voyageur 1 W - S - A - Y : 30
Voyageur 2 B - M - U - K - H - Q : 20
Voyageur 3 T - E : 10

So, for my concern :
- the very bad news : the CIO flights in Affaires will now make my account earn 140 or even 110 whereas it is now 250
- the unknown news : French domestic earning scheme is not precised on the ES site

And as the current VR redeeming scheme is (and has always been) a mystery, I cannot make a decision.

Last question : with the Blue Biz scheme, are the ticket booked taxrs and surcharges included and earn FB miles like it is the case in the VR scheme?
bodory is offline  
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:52 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Posts: 4,513
Originally Posted by bodory View Post
Last question : with the Blue Biz scheme, are the ticket booked taxrs and surcharges included and earn FB miles like it is the case in the VR scheme?
Hi bodory,

Yes for my experience, but again, I have only bought a ticket using Blue Biz points once.
more4less is offline  
Old Sep 16, 11, 2:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,710
Thanks a lot.
bodory is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: