Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF flight from Rio missing [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Slightly more information from the NYT:

The plane was carrying 228 people — 216 passengers and 12 crew members. Among the passengers were 126 men, 82 women, seven children and one infant. There were nine cabin crew members and three pilots, the airline said.

One hour after the flight took off at 7 p.m. local time on Sunday, the plane encountered an storm with “very heavy turbulence,” the Air France spokeswoman said. The plane disappeared from radar screens at 8:10 p.m., 10 minutes after the heavy turbulence was reported.

Air France officials said that it was not yet known what caused air traffic control to lose contact with the flight. As the flight’s electrical systems went down, it automatically sent a message informing air traffic control of the system failure, and then nothing was heard, Air France officials said in a press conference in Paris.

All jets are built to withstand severe turbulence, especially at upper flying levels, and Ms. Barrand said that the pilot was very experienced, having clocked 11,000 flying hours, including 1,100 hours on A330 jets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/wo...ef=global-home
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:46 am

AF translation.

Air France has the regret to announce the disappearance of the flight AF 447 carrying out the liaison Rio of Janeiro – Paris Charles of Gaulle, arrived foreseen this morning to 11h10 local, as has just announced it to the press the general Director of Air France, Rock henri Gourgeon.

The device of type Airbus A330-200, registered F gzcp, left Rio May 31 to 19h03 local hour (00h03 hour of Paris).

The device crossed a stormy zone with strong turbulences at 2 o'clock in the morning (universal hour), be 4h00 hour of Paris. An automatic message was received to 2h14 (4h14 hour of Paris) indicating an electric circuit failure in a removed zone of the coast.

The aerial civil Brazilian check body, More african, More spanish and More french attempted in vain to establish the contact with the flight AF447. The aerial check French military officer tried to detect the airplane, unsuccessfully.

216 passengers are on board: 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and a baby.

The crew is composed from 12 flight ones: 3 flight techniques and 9 commercial flight ones.

The edge order has 11 000 hours of flight and already carried out 1 700 hours on Airbus A330/A340. The two copilots have 3 000 hours of flight for the one (of which 800 on Airbus A330/A340) and 6 600 for the other (of which 2 600 on Airbus A330/A340).

The device is equipped motors General Electric CF6-80E.

The airplane totals 18 870 hours of flight and was put in service April 18 2005. His last visit of discussion in shed dates back to April 16 2009.

Air France divides the emotion and the worry of the concerned families. The close ones are received in a specially reserved place to the terminal of Paris Charles of Gaulle 2.

A green number is opened 0800 800 812 for France, and + 33 1 57 02 10 55 for the foreigner. NB: We ask the journalists of not to call this reserved number to the families and to the close ones.
-------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: I have been on a 737 when it was hit by lightening, and it was scarry. May G-d have mercy on their souls.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by vsop
Anyone know if the airbus alerting system includes GPS coordinates when it sends the automatic alerts? I would think that if it does they should have a decent idea of the location
It doesn't. There's no need to. The system is designed to report defects with the aircraft, not to track it's position.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:49 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CDG1
Not the same aircraft it seems.
My fault. Don't know the difference between F-GZCP and F-GZCB.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by chasbondy
How is it that they no clue what happened, but have already ruled out hijacking/terrorism?? We have a disaster here and the morons in charge are being politically correct??
Presumably the series of automatics messages sent from the plane gave them enough insight to rule out terrorism. There is nothing suggest that they are morons.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
It doesn't. There's no need to. The system is designed to report defects with the aircraft, not to track it's position.
Well, in my view it could of helped in this situation if the last com with the aircraft was from the automated system. If the system is able to send a message as part of an automated system and has the ability to read the GPS coordinates then adding a couple digits to the data packet would not be anything major, but could provide more info that could be useful. Not saying its needed.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: M&M
My prayers go out to passengers and families.
I am afraid that we should be prepared for the worst.

BTW, I never regarded AF as safe as LH.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Very sad. Seems like they don't know much about what happened yet..
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by flytofly
BTW, I never regarded AF as safe as LH.
Gee, you couldn't find a worse moment / place / context, etc. for a comment like this...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
It would seem in this case there is a very clear need for it to track the plane's position, don't you think?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by andre1970
Gee, you couldn't find a worse moment / place / context, etc. for a comment like this...
No kidding.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: QFM Life
Originally Posted by vsop
Well, in my view it could of helped in this situation if the last com with the aircraft was from the automated system. If the system is able to send a message as part of an automated system and has the ability to read the GPS coordinates then adding a couple digits to the data packet would not be anything major, but could provide more info that could be useful. Not saying its needed.
True, unless the GPS is a part of the systems that have failed. I'd imagine that this short message about issues on board is separate to the main systems, like GPS.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Does anyone know how much composite material is used in the building of the A330's?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Everyone, I have had to edit and delete posts already in this thread. It's reprehensible that (especially at a time like this) people are calling names, attacking the nationality of others, and generally behaving like children. Knock it off.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:19 am

Heart felt sympathies go out to all affected, as currently the outlook is not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.