seat map discrepency - hope I get what I want!

Old Jan 26, 09, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
seat map discrepency - hope I get what I want!

Hi

Booked on CDG-HKG Feb 2 (777-300). Originally had seat 20E (I think) because the bulkheads weren't released

But I checked last night and seat 36J was available. This shows on AF website as an exit row so plenty of legroom and no-one to recline into me - great! So I changed to this

Then I double checked seatguru and to my horror saw that their seatmap had 35J as the exit row, 36J is just a regular aisle seat

Further, despite my online reservation showing 36J as my selection, the AF website seatmap shows this as still available (and my old seat reservation as taken)

So, a couple of questions;

1) Which really is the exit row - 35 or 36?
2) How come, despite my reservation showing 36J, it seems to show as still available on the AF seatmap?

Thanks for any advice. Due to economic conditions I am having to downgrade my flying to economy and would like to snag the best possible seat

nickyboy
Old Jan 26, 09, 7:00 am

Hi nickyboy,

As Platinum you should be able to reserve the bulkhead row, but attention, a non-bassinet seat on the bulkhead ... but on the 777-300 row 19EFGH is for babies.

Indeed the exit row is row 35.

Can't explain for your second question

On the 777-300 it seems that the better seats are actually in the back, where the pairs of seats on the side are ... rows 44-48 AB/KL.
Old Jan 26, 09, 7:11 am

Programs: FB Silver, ANA, Accor Gold
I tend to agree with airchristophe about rows 44-48, however, they seem unavailable all the time. Anyway, the experience won't be a good one, the 3-4-3 configuration is a total nightmare! Try to get an exit row at CI, because AF will not release exit rows at OLCI, so you need to ask in person, it might work. Check my trip report (link in my signature), it's not a pleasant experience!
Old Jan 26, 09, 7:32 am
Original Poster

How strange.

Just called reservations and they confirm the exit row is 35 - but their seatmap definitely shows 36

They also said that, despite me being Plat, there was no way to open up the reservations of row 18 (the bulkhead) or 35 (the exit) as they are "under airport control" and as such would only become available at OLCI. Understand the bassinet seats being held back (19/35 E-H) but why these?

Can anyone advise if it is really possible to get row 18/35 as a Platinum and how to do it? Reservations say no.....and "computer says no"

thanks

nickyboy
Old Jan 26, 09, 7:54 am

Hi again nickyboy,

Reservations is (for once) giving you the right information.

Indeed exit rows are attributed only at the airport. Best thing to do is to arrive as early as possible, which is understandbly difficult if you are arriving in CDG on a connection.

http://www.airfrance.fr/common/image...ax_maxi_fr.gif

The link above is the seat map ... row 35ABC/JKL is the exit row ... 36EFGH (as it says in black in the center) is the bassinet row.
Old Jan 26, 09, 8:15 am
Original Poster

thanks - the seat reservation system definitely shows 36 as the exit row

Incorrect seat reservation maps - yet another service enhancement from FB

nickyboy

Last edited by nickyboy; Jan 26, 09 at 8:18 am Reason: rubbish at getting screenshots to work
Old Jan 27, 09, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
thanks - the seat reservation system definitely shows 36 as the exit row

Incorrect seat reservation maps - yet another service enhancement from FB

nickyboy
Sorry to say you're wrong, but you are! See the seatmap for the non-Carribean/Indian ocean 777-300 at the AF site (copy-pasted below), and you'll notice that row 35 is very clearly marked as an exit row. Which seatmap did you check?

Old Jan 27, 09, 6:10 am

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
mystery is solved

the middle seats are row 35

BUT the first row of seats showing on the sides are actually rows 36.

EK is the same on the a 340 - the first row in economy is 15

but this only relates to the middle seats

row 16 is the bulkhead of AB and JK

its confusing BUT its my solution

Adam
Old Jan 27, 09, 7:48 am

Sorry, exactly the opposite! In that last part of the plane the first "middle" seat row is labeled 36 (and not 35), while the first "window" row is 35.
Old Jan 27, 09, 5:50 pm
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Sorry to say you're wrong, but you are! See the seatmap for the non-Carribean/Indian ocean 777-300 at the AF site (copy-pasted below), and you'll notice that row 35 is very clearly marked as an exit row. Which seatmap did you check?

The seatmap you show corresponds to a config that is not used any more: all AF B777-300 have now a 10 abreast (3-4-3) config in Y.

Here is the corresponding seatmap.

Note that the quality of the AF site is bad, as usual, as they have changed the map, but not the number of seats in the tittle !
This does not answer the question regarding seat numbers, as there is no changes in the first rows.

Anyway avoid them like the plague, they are very uncomfortable !
Old Jan 27, 09, 11:18 pm

Irrespective of the first row numbering that was the reason that I included the seatmap, the interesting fact is that we both included an image whose link was copy-pasted directly from the AF site. In other words, depending on where you live you get a different idea of where you'll be sitting in their plane. Does anybody have any idea who is responsible for updating and maintaining their pages at the different locations worldwide?
Old Jan 28, 09, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Sorry for confusing everyone . I referred to "seating map".....what I actually meant was the seating allocation map where one can choose as seat on a live reservation

If you have an existing booking on a 777-300 you will see that the row immediately behind the exit (which is actually 35 according to the seatmaps you have posted) is labelled as 36

Row 36 is open for booking, row 35 (the real exit row, but showing on the seat allocation map as in front of the exit) is showing fully occupied (which is presumably because it is blocked)

When I called reservations to confirm, they said the online seat reservation map was wrong

Apologies for confusion

nickyboy
Old Jan 28, 09, 2:40 am
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Irrespective of the first row numbering that was the reason that I included the seatmap, the interesting fact is that we both included an image whose link was copy-pasted directly from the AF site. In other words, depending on where you live you get a different idea of where you'll be sitting in their plane. Does anybody have any idea who is responsible for updating and maintaining their pages at the different locations worldwide?
Maybe the person who devised the changes in Flying Blue ?

Search this Thread