Best chances for upgrade J to P USA to EU with miles?

Old Dec 6, 08, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More
Best chances for upgrade J to P USA to EU with miles?

I was just wondering which station would give me the best chances of getting a upgrade by miles from the eastern us to CDG?I am looking to fly somewhere mid march next year, i already tried to look in the fare classes but there never seems any free seat left or does AF only open the seats up close to the date?I would prefer to fly out of NYC but i could change to IAD or YUL if i have more chances there.Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 6, 08, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
just remember that you cannot upgrade from low J-fares such as Z-class. They usually open A-seats closer to departure, but there is no guarantee.
Old Dec 6, 08, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that 'usually' might be a bit optimistic. They sometimes do on some flights and on many others never do. I would say that it is really pot luck as the small size of the first class cabin makes it difficult to identify trends between North American cities and Europe, except, perhaps, that probably 70-80% of the flights from all US getaways stay at A0 throughout. And as very rightly mentioned by cfisher, Z and I are not upgradeable and personally I would not fork out the large difference to get a D fare for a rather small chance that I could upgrade on the 7 hour flight.
Old Dec 6, 08, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
LAX-CDG is not bad, but NYC-CDG is certainly more heavily booked. There is no guarantee, but I have seen O/A become available 1-6 days before departure for many flights.
Old Dec 6, 08, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies, i guess i might look at switching over to Miles & more then since *A offers way better upgrade chances and from lower fares bases.
Old Dec 7, 08, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
LAX-CDG is not bad, but NYC-CDG is certainly more heavily booked. There is no guarantee, but I have seen O/A become available 1-6 days before departure for many flights.
Agreed for LAX and for O fares from NYC. For FB Gold/plat, usually no problem to get an E seat (biz). But it is rare that they open A seats from/to NY, even if the F cabin is near-empty. For some reason AF is very reluctant to sell A seats to FB to the the USA. I guess that they feel that they have some chance for a last-minute group of fare-paying pax, or they wish to keep full flexibilty to F pax that wish to switch flights at the last minute. On the other hand plenty of A seats available to/from Asia.
Old Dec 8, 08, 4:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by sh1982 View Post
Thanks all for your replies, i guess i might look at switching over to Miles & more then since *A offers way better upgrade chances and from lower fares bases.

Yeah. Seems we are stuck with "Miles & Less"
Old Dec 9, 08, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
Yeah. Seems we are stuck with "Miles & Less"
Lol yeah the only thing they are good for are the upgrades(they are not cheap but at least you can get an upgrade from z class plus alot more choice LH/LX and SQ).I gonna fly alot the coming months(at least 3 r/t AMS-LAX and r/t AMS-CCS plus a side trip LAX-PPT) in Y/C but usually i dont fly that much so i dont really need status or something like that i just want to try F class for a change.My only chance with flying blue would be MH ARN-EWR but i am not even sure if you can get F awardt with MH.

Search this Thread