Is AF still flying the 747-400 out of JFK or from any USA city?

Old Dec 4, 08, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Is AF still flying the 747-400 out of JFK or from any USA city?

I am looking to travel to CDG in January 09, and I was wondering if AF still flew the 747-400 out of JFK or any other USA city. The reason why I am interested is because of the upper deck tempo class. I heard it was better than any of the other economy class seats. I can fly either AF, Delta, NWA, KLM, or Continental overseas, but was interested in AF. Are there any other better economy class seats on a different aircraft that AF flies (if I cant be on the 747-400)? thanks!
Old Dec 4, 08, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
I am looking to travel to CDG in January 09, and I was wondering if AF still flew the 747-400 out of JFK or any other USA city.
BOS and MIA, I believe.
Old Dec 4, 08, 3:25 pm

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Hi globaltrotter,

If you can't fly the 747, it depends what you are looking for. Is it in-seat video, or extra legroom?

If it's the extra legroom, I believe that the 747 is your only hope. If it's in-seat video, the 777 and the 340 have that, although I think it's the 777 that has the more on-demand version. (Other AF experts will set me straight on this).

So the question comes down to ... what are your requirements? For example, if I'm traveling with the wife, I might take the 340 over the 777 because of the 2-4-2 seats, versus the 3-3-3 (or the 3-4-3 that's now coming)

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Dec 5, 08, 1:40 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
The 777 has crap for legroom in Y, unless you get a bulkhead or exit, even then you still have crap width...

The 777 is the one with Video on Demand, although not all planes have the upgraded system. The 340 has PTV but cycles every 30 mins I think. The 747 also has some PTVs, but its channels and cycles every few hours.
Old Dec 6, 08, 7:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by robin.goodman View Post
The 777 has crap for legroom in Y, unless you get a bulkhead or exit, even then you still have crap width...

The 777 is the one with Video on Demand, although not all planes have the upgraded system. The 340 has PTV but cycles every 30 mins I think. The 747 also has some PTVs, but its channels and cycles every few hours.
340's are seeming to get a bit more aged and older (if the Y seats are still the same as in 2005)
Old Dec 6, 08, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Others have summarised things quite well (although if I'm not wrong video cycles are every 20 minutes and not 30). Bear in mind that now, ST elite plus can't pre-book upper deck seats on the 744 in advance, they have to 'fight' the (paying) crowd at check in. The PTV on the upper deck (and on 3 744 in all Tempo seats) also have far fewer choices than the other aircrafts.

On the whole I personally rank my favourite AF aircrafts in the following order: (1) 330, (2) 340, (3) 744, (4) 772, and (5 by far) 77W. Lets hope that the 380 will come as new no1 but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they screwed that one up too...
Old Dec 7, 08, 12:38 am
Original Poster

so the 330 is your fav aircraft? Does it have an updated interior, new economy seats, and IVOD? Does it fly from the USA? thanks! I am looking at the most comfortable entertained flight experience to europe in economy. Also looking at NWA KLM, and DELTA. Are any of these better options?
Old Dec 7, 08, 5:21 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Some A332's have the new IFE and others haven't - I think so far it is 1/3 new, 2/3 old (see Malonda's excellent list: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...357571&page=38) as for most other aircrafts except the 77W which are more likely to be fitted with the new IFE but have the worst seating arrangement of all (see other threads). AF don't allocate specific crafts to specific routes so you can be lucky or unlucky.

I mostly find the A330 the friendliest seating arrangement and the most comfortable one, I like the pair of seats window aisle rather than window-middle-aisle on 777. A340 also have the window-aisle combination, but in my experience, several of them in the fleet feel older.

AF do fly A332's on a number of US routes including DTW, IAH (one of the two flights only), EWR, and JFK (1 flight only) that I can think of. There might be others but not sure!
Old Dec 8, 08, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

None of the AF aircrafts (USA routes) have the new Alize section do they? Just the Indian Ocean crafts correct?
Old Dec 8, 08, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by globaltrotter View Post
None of the AF aircrafts (USA routes) have the new Alize section do they? Just the Indian Ocean crafts correct?
Carribean and Indian Ocean indeed.

Search this Thread