Strike announcement

Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM, 1MM
I too want to report a positive experience with Air France USA phone agents. I was booked on AF69 from LAX to CDG, with a connecting flight to JNB on Nov 15. The agent I spoke with was extremely helpful, and got me re-routed LAX-AMS-JNB on KLM metal.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is that when I heard about the strike, I proactively called AF. I wonder if they would have hunted me down if I hadn't called them. Just a thought.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
SNPL will vote Saturday on a reworded legislative amendment

Source : Ouest-France

The SNPL leadership will decide on Saturday, based on feedback from its members on a proposal by the government for a reworked legislative amendment "of better quality and legally more stable", whether to continue the strike or not. According to AFP, the decision could be announced before noon, but there is some uncertainty as to possible differences of opinions between the pilots and their union representatives.

Last edited by JOUY31; Nov 14, 2008 at 9:35 pm
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jonni04
I too want to report a positive experience with Air France USA phone agents. I was booked on AF69 from LAX to CDG, with a connecting flight to JNB on Nov 15. The agent I spoke with was extremely helpful, and got me re-routed LAX-AMS-JNB on KLM metal.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is that when I heard about the strike, I proactively called AF. I wonder if they would have hunted me down if I hadn't called them. Just a thought.
You have expressed a concern of mine. Were it not for FT I would have been unaware of the strike. I also proactively called AF and was delighted by the service and attitude of the US -CSR. Within minutes, she had me rebooked on KL, LAX/AMS/VCE all in Business Class. I can only imagine the outrage by pax checking in for flight 69 LAX/CDG on the strike dates, if they were unaware of the strike. This has to be a nightmare scenario for all involved; pax and AF personnel. I read so many news sites and have seen no mention of the AF strike. Another ^to FT and the Moderators. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k
You have expressed a concern of mine. Were it not for FT I would have been unaware of the strike. I also proactively called AF and was delighted by the service and attitude of the US -CSR. Within minutes, she had me rebooked on KL, LAX/AMS/VCE all in Business Class. I can only imagine the outrage by pax checking in for flight 69 LAX/CDG on the strike dates, if they were unaware of the strike. This has to be a nightmare scenario for all involved; pax and AF personnel. I read so many news sites and have seen no mention of the AF strike. Another ^to FT and the Moderators. Thanks.
You didn't put on AF for this time due to pilots were on strike. I didn't realize know that. So how is happening for this time from AF pilots were on the strike. I'm sure if they will have new negotiations deal with AF pilots. This is unreasonable that you unable fly on AF for this time. I'm sure if you will have a nice contribution on KL from LAX-AMS-VCE instead of CDG. I knows CDG is absolutely not good timing for your connection next flight out of Paris. I can't mention why AF is not ready to get new agreements. I'm sure you will have nice trip on KL on Monday from LAX. I will try to check the flight tracking from LAX-AMS-VCE. So please write these good trip reports details for me.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am looking forward to my first Transatlantic trip on KL. I am sure that the transfer in AMS will be better than the transfer at CDG. I will let you know how the KL 602 flight is. Thanks for being so interested and being a good member of FT. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by creber
When I remarked that to an FA recently she didn't understand why I'd be surprised that the crew gets served first and better and that employees have better treatment and priviliges than premium customers. She just didn't grasp the idea. She explained to me that the poor crew was served the much better catering because they were in the air during meal time - but she didn't understand my argument of being on my third flight that day, each one of them at meal times.

I mean, did anyone ever see a hotel where the suites are occupied by the employees and guests get sent to the staff quarters? If you have, this must have been in France.
How about United Airlines, where the Pilot's Union contract mandates that they MUST fly in first class when deadheading. Even if they have to boot out a paying passenger. Also they MUST reserve another First class seat on long flights for the 4th member of the rotating flight crew to rest in. That plus the massive pay raise their union pressured for, is what financially put the company into bankruptcy. Again, you can't point at Air France in these instances and ignore the equally questionable practices of other airlines and unions.

I did admit that French politicians are especially weak-willed when it comes to fixing the problems. Margaret Thatcher, they are not.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I am looking forward to my first Transatlantic trip on KL. I am sure that the transfer in AMS will be better than the transfer at CDG. I will let you know how the KL 602 flight is. Thanks for being so interested and being a good member of FT. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Your transfer won't be difficult to understand, but it will likely be a VERY LONG walk. Bring track shoes.

P.S. Enjoy the little Dutch Jenever houses!
Old Nov 15, 2008, 1:53 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
How about United Airlines, where the Pilot's Union contract mandates that they MUST fly in first class when deadheading. Even if they have to boot out a paying passenger. Also they MUST reserve another First class seat on long flights for the 4th member of the rotating flight crew to rest in. That plus the massive pay raise their union pressured for, is what financially put the company into bankruptcy. Again, you can't point at Air France in these instances and ignore the equally questionable practices of other airlines and unions.

I did admit that French politicians are especially weak-willed when it comes to fixing the problems. Margaret Thatcher, they are not.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not suggesting that Air France is the only company where employees have an "employee first" attitude instead of a "customer first" attitude. I made my comments in the context of the discussion around whether a certain attitude to work is common in France. I maintain that an "employee first" culture is much more widespread in France than in most other developed countries.

Other than that I notice with a lot of satisfaction that you no longer deny a somewhat "unenthusiastic" attitude towards work widespread in France, but merely restrict yourself to pointing out isolated examples elsewhere. So in other words, I have a point here, right?

PS: just stepped off an AF flight, which gave me plenty more evidence to support my point of view. But no need to go in details here.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creber
Other than that I notice with a lot of satisfaction that you no longer deny a somewhat "unenthusiastic" attitude towards work widespread in France, but merely restrict yourself to pointing out isolated examples elsewhere. So in other words, I have a point here, right?
Let me make myself clear. In most ways and to the majority of the population, the labor culture in France is no worse than in it's neighbor EU countries. In terms of State employees, many, but not all, French have seemingly better benefits. In many cases those generous benefits have a negative impact on balancing social spending. Specifically in the area of retirement. French politicians don't seem to have the will to correct this problem, although it seems the current President is trying.

Now let's look at Italy, where the President not only isn't trying to fix social spending abuses, he is actively trying to preserve them!

In fact look at the retirement benefits of every single EU country and compare them to the USA. Many Americans feel that all Europeans are lazy and that there is no way possible that the state will be able to pay for the retirement of the massive "baby boomer" population, while paying out all the other benefits the state provides. Free heath care and such.

You can complain about Europe or the French in particular, but the quality of life is far better in France than in the USA (or in England I might argue).

When the rubber hits the road, and you are negatively impacted by a French strike, just give a Gallic shrug and go have a nice dinner with a bottle of wine. You will be much happier than if you fume and stress about the situation.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, as to the reduction in quality of food on AF short hauls, I agree that it isn't pleasant. But that is actually more of what I would call a non-French approach to airline management. More Anglo-Saxon in fact. It is a decision of AF management to put the squeeze on their passengers for every last penny. AF used to have some of the best cuisine. In fact I always put them as number 2 behind Sabena. But this AF is completely different than the old airline and Sabena is gone. That is just the times we live in.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:14 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Also, as to the reduction in quality of food on AF short hauls, I agree that it isn't pleasant. But that is actually more of what I would call a non-French approach to airline management. More Anglo-Saxon in fact.
Unfortunately, while AF has learned many good things from their US-based partners, this was also, apparently, part of the package ...
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drleyes:
Angry It's the Flight Attendands' turn: 5-9 December

Sorry, but that is still wrong. You can look at almost any country in the world, including places like Germany and Switzerland, and find state employees who jealously guard their benefits. There is clearly a systemic problem in France, and issues of weak political will. But it has absolutely nothing with breeding or being French. Also, French people work VERY hard in general. They are out there in the fields picking grapes, they are building roads, managing trains, working in IT, etc., etc. France is a highly productive European country. *Some* state employees can be lazy, but you find that in every country. Some state employees, like doctors and nurses at state operated hospitals in France, work very, very hard, 24 x 7, saving lives and providing medical care to everyone who walks through the hospital doors, French or otherwise.
I agree with all the above! ^ Union leaders are definitely slackers, but workers?

Back on topic: FAs are ready to take their turn in "striking" again from December 5th to December the 9th. Source: Le Figaro, printed edition, (Vendredi, 15 Nov.)

The situation in CDG yesterday was under control. After my (on time) arrival from DTW, I paid a visit to the Arrival's lounge to check for myself what all the hype is about. Well, it is basically a bunch of (small) shower rooms (about 1/3 of the size of a LH Senator lounge shower room). Staff was very polite and I was assigned a shower immediately. Didn't spend much time in the cage; I figured the shower in my appt. would be much more comfortable, despite being about an hour-long train ride away...

PS: About the reason that sparked those strikes: nobody asked Pilots/FAs to work until 65. The new law gives them the option to work up to 65.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

small strike observance. I was in the BA lounge at LHR T5 yesterday. I heard a lot more people speaking French around me than English voices.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by andre1970
I agree with all the above! ^ Union leaders are definitely slackers, but workers?

Back on topic: FAs are ready to take their turn in "striking" again from December 5th to December the 9th. Source: Le Figaro, printed edition, (Vendredi, 15 Nov.)
At this stage, this strike has yet to be confirmed. According to previous reports, negotiations with the flight attendants had been going forward more smoothly than with the pilots. Hopefully, the new government approach should cancel the need for a strike that the flight attendants had postponed in order to give time for negotiations.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Unfortunately, while AF has learned many good things from their US-based partners, this was also, apparently, part of the package ...
Give the credit to Steve Wolf, who basically engineered the turnaround of Air France (in addition to United and US Airways) during a brief stint as a senior "advisor" to the airline in the early 1990s.

It took an American to make the French airline a great one....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.