Air France-Bad Experience

Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Air France-Bad Experience

I had my first opportunity to fly Air France over Labor Day weekend (DTW-CDG-PRG). I am hoping my experience was an anomaly, but here are my observations:

1. New Business Class seat: OK to sit in, very uncomfortable to try and sleep. The footrest pushes itself up and under the seat in front of you so your feet cannot fit between the seat and the footrest. In addition, the in-seat video screen cannot be adjusted to different viewing angles.

2. Food: Very unimpressive for BC. The web site promised 2 choices of appetizers, 3 entrées and a choice of dessert. We had one appetizer, 2 choices for entrées and no choice for dessert. Breakfast was a joke.

3. Service: Actually pretty good DTW-CDG. However, CDG-PRG the FA's hid behind a curtain the whole flight, talked loudly and ate.

4. CDG: All I can say is that when God gives the world an enema, he puts the hose in CDG.

In conclusion, I have gone "across the pond" on 6 different airlines in Business (DL, CO, NW, KLM, AF, BA) and AF was by far the worst.

Comments?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:24 am

Wink

Deleted...

Last edited by mikeparis75; Feb 26, 2009 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Seth
3. Service: Actually pretty good DTW-CDG. However, CDG-PRG the FA's hid behind a curtain the whole flight, talked loudly and ate.
They stay behind the curtain because their meal is much better than yours, and they don't want that you see it
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't get the complaints about CDG. Sure, it used to be quite bad...But I find it rather pleasant nowadays; it doesn't get affected by weather, it's not too crowded for an airport of its size, the walks are shorter than places like AMS, it's got Access no.1 queues everywhere to speed you up, and the lounges, even if they do need more food options, aren't terrible either.
What exactly is it that people hate about it?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by graraps
I don't get the complaints about CDG. Sure, it used to be quite bad...But I find it rather pleasant nowadays; it doesn't get affected by weather, it's not too crowded for an airport of its size, the walks are shorter than places like AMS, it's got Access no.1 queues everywhere to speed you up, and the lounges, even if they do need more food options, aren't terrible either.
What exactly is it that people hate about it?
Yeah, it's pleasant, as long as you stay in one terminal. As soon as time comes to change terminals, it can be a real pain.

But I agree with you. I have been to much worse places than DeGaulle.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart
...I have been to much worse places than DeGaulle.
I had to fly through the old ATH quite often. What a nightmare! Among others, to go from one to the other terminal you needed a taxi! And that was less than 10 years ago...
Old Sep 13, 2008, 1:23 am

I think the seats in business in Air France are ok. They are already looking ratty and dirty in many planes, they are not as good as Qantas for example, but I always sleep well on them.

The entertainment is a joke of course compared to better airlines. The screens are usually faded and unreadable (if the system is not completely defect) and the choice is dismal. However, if you focus on the French and art films and keep an open mind you will be rewarded with some gems quite often.

As to the food & drink. Yes, absolutely incredible that Air France spends so little money and attention on this. Generic, uninspired wines, often so-so or simply bad food, terrible wine service, etc.

CDG is getting better as more and more comes on line.

All in all, AF is better than KL, better than the American airlines, but never worth paying more than a heavily discounted price for.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

The entertainment is a joke of course ...

CDG is getting better as more and more comes on line. ..

All in all, AF is better than KL, better than the American airlines, but never worth paying more than a heavily discounted price for.
Flew LAX-CDG this month with the new AVOD in C - MUCH better!

I hate CDG with a passion, but even I am forced to admit that it is, ever so slowly, improving - give me AMS though, until CDG improves a LOT more.

You're right - I got one helluva deal on the price!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.