Wiki Posts
Search

AF very cheap F fares from MRU to South America

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
AF very cheap F fares from MRU to South America

out of curiosity I was checking prices ex MRU... and noticed that AF was extremely cheap in F !!!

example: MRU CDG SCL for 3000 EUR + taxes (return trip) in P (unrestricted F)
similar fares to Brazil, Argentina etc... C class would cost around 2200 EUR ++

miles-wise: 13000 one way, total of 78000 EQM + 26000 Plat bonus... in only one round trip in F at the price of a discounted CDG NYC in C. Unlimited stopovers which makes "virtually" CDG SCL CDG in unrestricted F for 1500 EUR (which is usually the price of a restricted Y ticket) and MRU-CDG-MRU for the same price. Some nice routings could allow a stopover in EZE, GRU etc...

How to get to MRU in order to start the trip? CDG MRU for 30000 miles one way in biz (15000 in eco) with the very new webawards. Therefore, one could do CDG MRU CDG SCL CDG MRU CDG in C/F/F/F/F/C for 3500 EUR (incl taxes), with a positive balance of 44000 award miles, having earned 78000 qualifying miles!

Have a nice mileage run, perhaps one (quite rich) traveller could secure Plat for life in only one year!
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:51 am

Does that mean that the MRU-CDG-MRU sectors book on the MK codeshare? There is no Premiere available on any of the Air France operated flights, as these flights operate with the 2-class B744.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, FB Plat, LH SEN, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by ranskis
Have a nice mileage run, perhaps one (quite rich) traveller could secure Plat for life in only one year!
I'm still confused whether plat for live is 700'000 miles or 10 years of plat membership? The fomer I can get in 5 years, and even faster if I skip DL PM status for a few years.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:38 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by zurichflyer
I'm still confused whether plat for live is 700'000 miles or 10 years of plat membership? The fomer I can get in 5 years, and even faster if I skip DL PM status for a few years.
It's 10 consecutive years of Plat membership. However, status miles beyond 115000 (or 150000 for French residents) are carried over to the next year. So, once you have built up 70000+(9x115000)=1105000 status miles there is enough carry-over to qualify for Platinum during 10 consecutive years (even if you stop flying) and your Plat life membership is secured .

Last edited by albireo; Sep 6, 2006 at 1:46 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:46 am

One could do CDG MRU CDG SCL CDG MRU CDG in C/F/F/F/F/C for 3,500 EUR (incl taxes), with a positive balance of 44,000 award miles, having earned 78,000 qualifying miles.
Nice find. However, when investigating the specifics some difficulties occur. MRU is a holiday destination. On MRU-CDG and CDG-MRU AF operates the B747. Sear guru indicates clearly no F class. Subsequently no F on MRU-CDG and CDG-MRU and no 300% bonus. On the CDG-MRU segment you have the following flights: AF981 operated by Air Mauritius is a A340; AF963 is a B747; AF983 operated by Air Mauritius is a A340.

Surely you can fly C on AF963 and get a 150% bonus. Or you can fly MK metal in a A340 on a AF codeshare in F. Unfortunately no qualifying FB miles in that case. Let's quote the KLM site: "An eligible flight is a flight that entitles you to earn Award Miles: All Air France and KLM flights; All SkyTeam flights operated by SkyTeam or an airline partner; and All flights operated by an airline partner. Examples: Air France operating flight = Yes; KLM flight operated by Air France = Yes; Northwest Airlines flight operated by KLM = Yes; Delta Airlines flight operated by Aeromexico = Yes; Air France flight operated by Japan Airlines = Yes; KLM flight operated by Air Alps = Yes; Air France flight operated by Air Mauritius = No; Japan Airlines flight operated by Air New Zealand = No."

Some AF metal has the new NTC seating configurating, some still have the OTC. Most likely that is the reason that to date AF does not publish seat maps. Several recent questions raised at this forum indicate that it is difficult to find out whether a specific flight has NTC or OTC. You can fly CDG-SCL return in F on the B772 and get a 300% bonus. But does that flight have OTC or NTC?

The 50% Webwards offer CDG-MRU is valid until 30 November. Not an easy job to combine the MRU-CDG-SCL run within the offer.

Last edited by kurz; Sep 6, 2006 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:00 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=kurz]Air France flight operated by Air Mauritius = No; Japan Airlines flight operated by Air New Zealand = No."

i am almost sure that FB members travelling on an AF ticket, operated by MK or AF, get qualifying miles. What is the difference between AY and MK in this case? on AY, there is bonus class and qualifying miles, as well as platinum bonus. On MK it should be the same, as long as you have an AF code on your ticket.

To combine it with the offer, you only need to go to MRU one way before 30th november, then you come back in F, stopover in Paris, and fly to SCL in unrestricted P whenever you want. Stopover in Paris, and if you cannot go to MRU again, you just loose the last part of your ticket. Still, 3500 EUR + 30000 miles for some holidays in MRU and in SCL, that can be spaced by almost one year, it's not too bad!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
[QUOTE=ranskis]
Originally Posted by kurz
Air France flight operated by Air Mauritius = No; Japan Airlines flight operated by Air New Zealand = No."

i am almost sure that FB members travelling on an AF ticket, operated by MK or AF, get qualifying miles. What is the difference between AY and MK in this case? on AY, there is bonus class and qualifying miles, as well as platinum bonus. On MK it should be the same, as long as you have an AF code on your ticket.

To combine it with the offer, you only need to go to MRU one way before 30th november, then you come back in F, stopover in Paris, and fly to SCL in unrestricted P whenever you want. Stopover in Paris, and if you cannot go to MRU again, you just loose the last part of your ticket. Still, 3500 EUR + 30000 miles for some holidays in MRU and in SCL, that can be spaced by almost one year, it's not too bad!
I know it works for AF flights operated by AY, OS and LG, because I flew these segments. I raised the question about MK last year and I did not find the answer conclusive. I would personally not do it until someone has experienced it personally.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=191
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unlimited stopovers which makes "virtually" CDG SCL CDG in unrestricted F for 1500 EUR (which is usually the price of a restricted Y ticket) and MRU-CDG-MRU for the same price. Some nice routings could allow a stopover in EZE, GRU etc...
In addition to what Jouy31 already mentioned, presumably you would also have a HIP-check in case of stopover in CDG, which would bring the cost of the flight to the usual ex-CDG amount.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:21 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
[QUOTE=JOUY31]

I know it works for AF flights operated by AY, OS and LG,

it works for TU codeshare flights too between Tunisia and France except for TUN-ORY
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:33 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
out of curiosity I was checking prices ex MRU... and noticed that AF was extremely cheap in F !!!

example: MRU CDG SCL for 3000 EUR + taxes (return trip) in P (unrestricted F)
similar fares to Brazil, Argentina etc... C class would cost around 2200 EUR ++

Where do you find these fares ?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:11 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by G_G
it works for TU codeshare flights too between Tunisia and France except for TUN-ORY
This is very useful information. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: Many
[QUOTE=JOUY31]

I know it works for AF flights operated by AY, OS and LG, because I flew these segments. I raised the question about MK last year and I did not find the answer conclusive. I would personally not do it until someone has experienced it personally.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=191
It used to work on AF flights operated by VN toSGN and HAN IIRC.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:56 pm

[QUOTE=bodory]
Originally Posted by JOUY31

It used to work on AF flights operated by VN toSGN and HAN IIRC.
Good to know as well. Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum LT, HK Airlines whatever, Skywards Ex-Gold :-)
Hi, where can you find and book this fares?

Thanks, Marcus
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AF 001
Hi, where can you find and book this fares?

Thanks, Marcus
on any online travel agency NOT based in France... i don't know why ibut it seems that AF adds up a 5000 USD surcharge "Country of Payment Check" according to ITA. Expedia.com or expedia.de should work fine i think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.