menace on the RER?

Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Junior Jet Club
menace on the RER?

I will arrive back in CDG tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know if it is inadvisable to take the RER given the current unrest?

I have often felt uneasy with some of the characters who embark at some of the outlying stations before Gare du Nord, and wonder if the police have upped their presence on the trains.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have the impression from the current US State Department advisory that it's only a problem at night, when Americans are advised to take taxis or the AF coach to/from Paris and stay off the train.

I've ridden the RER into the Gare du Nord several times in the mid-morning after getting off eastbound transats and never felt threatened; maybe I'm just naive or jet-lagged.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Cool

As far as I know, there is no specific problem with RER line B between CDG and Paris Nord (Gare du Nord) at the moment. I take this train every other week and will continue to do so. However, if time makes it possible, I select non stop trains between CDG and Gare du Nord.

You're more likely to face traffic disruption due to technical reasons, including a potential strike when RATP staff have been attacked. That was just the case last week and trains to CDG where not connected to the line B southbound traffic (the now famous 'interconnexion suspendue Gare du Nord'). Trains to CDG temporarily departed from the surface station.

Update: http://www.ratp.fr/
(click on 'trafic' on the left). Very useful (there are about 10 metro stations currently shut down during works).

Air France coaches are a little bit more expensive (12) but perfectly safe.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:47 am

Programs: FB
Take the coach

The situation is getting out of hand. Last night was bad. To avoid delays and possible attacks, take the AF coach to the centre of Paris--or even better the RATP coach (Roissy Bus) which will drop you in front of the Amex office across the street from the Opera House, close to everything. The place de l'Opera is very central.

Wentworth

Last edited by Wentworth; Nov 6, 2005 at 6:42 am
Old Nov 6, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by SYDguy
I have often felt uneasy with some of the characters who embark at some of the outlying stations before Gare du Nord, and wonder if the police have upped their presence on the trains.
I took the RER from/to CDG many, many times, and often at odd hours. Never had a single security problem.

It's true I tend to prefer the direct trains to/from Gare du Nord, but this is more of a comfort issue (they are less crowded and they enable you to doze for 25mn without being disturbed by the stops). You may have to wait extra (up to 8mn) to catch them but this is partly compensated by the fact that the ride is faster.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:39 am

Programs: FB-Gold; AA-Gold
RER Fine this Morning

I just took the RER from Chatelet/Les Halles to CDG Terminal 1 this morning (7:30 AM) and had no problems (apart from the smell). Seems OK to use.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:55 am

Programs: FB
It might be a good idea to avoid the RER

I am not sure it is a good idea to ***advise*** foreign, particularly English-speaking, travellers to use the RER. The situation is getting worse every night and those who do not speak fluent, unaccented French, do not dress like the French, carry laptops or suitcases, and speak with an American accent may not be totally safe. I am not saying it is dangerous--just unwise.

The Roissy Bus line is very fast, cheap, and convenient. It runs on the A1 motorway which should be safe from hooligans because of the heavy traffic.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:25 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Originally Posted by Wentworth
I am not sure it is a good idea to ***advise*** foreign, particularly English-speaking, travellers to use the RER. The situation is getting worse every night and those who do not speak fluent, unaccented French, do not dress like the French, carry laptops or suitcases, and speak with an American accent may not be totally safe. I am not saying it is dangerous--just unwise.

The Roissy Bus line is very fast, cheap, and convenient. It runs on the A1 motorway which should be safe from hooligans because of the heavy traffic.
but then again, on the motorway you may be involved on a car accident, whereas trains have a near-perfect safety record. I don't say that the coach is unsafe, neither unwise, but do you see my point?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
I think Wentworth gives good advice, considering the latest situation. Accident records statistics sure seem of secondary importance to ensuring a safe surrounding for the transit. Lots of people use the RER without mishap, but the advice addresses what the OP seemed to want..safety from the current unrest.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
In normal times the RER from CDG is fine...yes it does not pass through some of the nicest neighborhoods, but I have never felt any danger. Still, I much prefer the Air France Bus ('les cars Air France').

However, with the way things seem to be headed I would avoid the RER for the next couple of weeks - as well as any trips to Le Bourget to the air museum!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:43 am

Programs: FB Gold
Hello !!!

The RER B is ok since yesterday ... If you have to come to the Gare de Nord (Paris central area) you can take the RER B without stops !!! There are those trains every 15 minutes... Choose it instead of the other one that stops at every station.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
Transfer CDG-ORY on Sun 13/11

my brother is flying HEL-CDG//ORY-PUF on Sunday. The Finnish foreign ministry has adviced travellers against using RER B right now.

Given the current situation, what's the best (safest) way to make the transfer on Sunday? FWIW, my brother speaks French so getting around shouldn't be a problem.

thank you for your replies
okko
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Junior Jet Club
Normally the car Air France CDG-ORY, but I am not certain that it operates on Sundays, anyone?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
Originally Posted by SYDguy
Normally the car Air France CDG-ORY, but I am not certain that it operates on Sundays, anyone?
SYDguy,

thank you. I'm not sure if my brother is aware of this option.

I haven't ever gone CDG-ORY directly so had to check this out - according to the AF web-site the coach runs every 30min 6am-10.30pm. It'd appear that this schedule is daily incl Sundays.

thanks
okko
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wentworth
I am not sure it is a good idea to ***advise*** foreign, particularly English-speaking, travellers to use the RER. The situation is getting worse every night and those who do not speak fluent, unaccented French, do not dress like the French, carry laptops or suitcases, and speak with an American accent may not be totally safe. I am not saying it is dangerous--just unwise...
How many people fitting this description have been hurt? And one more thing, do we all now have to wear Lacoste? And finally, if it is not dangerous, what is unwise about it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.