AF CDG baggage handler's strike (separate strike)

Old Oct 4, 05, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
AF CDG baggage handler's strike (separate strike)

I flew JFK-CDG-TLV on Sept 30/Oct 1, and a large number of passengers had no bags when we arrived in Tel Aviv, myself included. I'm still waiting, and according to Air France's baggage agent in Israel bags didn't arrive on the 2nd and 3rd as well.

Verified information has been hard to come by, and it doesn't help that AF's office here only purports to answer the phone for 2 and half hours a day and their baggage agent just says each day they hope the bags arrive. The rumor is some sort of baggage handler's strike in CDG such that transfer bags don't make, but bags checked in in CDG do. A Google search turned up nothing on this.

I'm obviously extremely frustrated with AF and will deal with them when I get home, but right now the wait-and-see attitude is driving me nuts. Anyone have any similar experiences or new info?
Old Oct 4, 05, 10:06 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
One of my collegue flown to ORd this week and he did not get his luggage too. 50 persons where in the same situation. He is expecting his lugguage to arrive today but doesn't have any confirmation
Old Oct 4, 05, 10:28 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Apparently, there was a strike in a company which works for AF, called CBS Connecting Baggage Service, which handles mostly, as the name of the company implies, baggage on connections. Apparently, there was a lot of pieces of baggage involved. Unfortunately, I have found no additional information.
Old Oct 4, 05, 2:43 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Apparently, there was a strike in a company which works for AF, called CBS Connecting Baggage Service.
I wonder if this has anything to do with what happened in Roissy (CDG) 3 weeks ago. The police arrested a group of CBS employees involved in repeated luggage theft . CBS must be undergoing huge pressure from AF now. ^

Google actualités (CBS vols):

http://www.french.xinhuanet.com/fren...ent_161945.htm
Old Oct 5, 05, 12:56 am

For sure it is a big mess currently. My collegue still didn't receive his lugguage in ORD after two days. No indication neither on where it is. If you connect through CDG this week take some clothes with you on board
Old Oct 5, 05, 4:02 am

Back from BKK on AF171 on Sunday 10:00am i had a connecting flight to DUB. In DUB, no lugage. AF gave me a number but so far, impossible to obtain any news (saturated phone lines). I tried AF internet site to trace my lugage but its indicates "no information available".
Has anyone any advice on how to get info ? Is any compensation foreseen in such a case ?
Old Oct 5, 05, 6:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Select
88 Hours and counting

I was on an Air France operated flight from MUC -> CDG and Delta from CDG -> JFK on Saturday, October 1. When we got to JFK, around 50 bags came off the carousel, over 100 people had no bags. Nice line at the JFK Delta baggage office to file the claim, luckily the people connecting off from JFK were told to file their claim at their final destination.

I've called the Delta baggage information hotline a few times, and keep getting told about the strike. Thus far though, not only can they not tell me when the bag will arrive, but they cannot even tell me for certain that the bag is in CDG, though they mentioned when I called last night that there are over 40,000 bags sitting at CDG.

I should have routed through AMS
Old Oct 6, 05, 6:36 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
AF Never More

I flew AF GIG-CDG-AMS B747 NEV business and arrived in CDG 02 October in the morning and in AMS about 11.30am. on 02 October My luggage is still missing FIVE days after my arrival. I called AF/KL missing baggage agent and they told me there have no idea when my luggage will be delivered because of the AF baggage handling strike in Paris.

Anyone knows what is the procedure for liability claim and/or any specific amount I'm entitled to, considering I flew business class?

My conclusion: I will always avoid AF. I selected AF for the GIG flight to test their new NEV business product and found KL B777 to GRU much superior, from onboard food to crew attitude/courtesy.

Tks,
Old Oct 6, 05, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Still waiting....

Well, it's been 5 days and 6 AF CDG-TLV flights (1 a day, including my own), and still no bags.

Information other than rumors is hard to come by. Both the Air France office in TLV and their baggage agent (a separate company) have no idea what's going on in Paris. An AF agent said a few bags came yesterday, but she thought it was a mistake!

I've also got AmEx Global Assist on the case. They can't do anything directly, but they have been keeping pressure on AF and providing information. The latest they told me a few minutes ago is that the strike is still on, and it may end tomorrow or maybe next Friday. The strike is only part-time, and some people are working each day after the strike ends.

As for compensation, the AF baggage folder I got says I am entitled to 100 euros for clothing if my final destination is not my home city.
Old Oct 6, 05, 11:07 am

My collegue currently in ORD still without luggage got from AF that due to this extrodinary situation he could buy aditionnal clothes above the 100$ annonced initially. AF will reimburse in my opinion pretty much everything as long as it is resonnable and as long as this happen during the first half of your trip (not coming back home).
For people flying business I think it is a good time to get a free suit paid by AF.
Old Oct 6, 05, 3:10 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
For people flying business I think it is a good time to get a free suit paid by AF.

Good point...it is amazing that I'm going to the SIXTH day without my baggage...and no answer as to when they are coming...

Any news on the strike, any indication when it will finish?

Rgs,
Old Oct 7, 05, 5:42 am

So, it's still going on! I flew ATL-CPH through CDG on 29Sep, and at the last minute decided to check one 22" bag. The AF rep told me I could spend up to 200E for clothing..maybe a bit more. About midway through my trip, the AF baggage person said they would send the bag to my home. We'll see on that one. Fortunately, I had mostly everything I needed in my rollaboard except for a warm jacket and t-shirts. I also flew business class and got home yesterday.
Old Oct 7, 05, 6:09 am

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Select
Bag Status: This bag has arrived and has been given to the delivery company.

Your baggage will be delivered by PERFECT/JFK LG 0630/7OCT. This delivery should be between the hours of 6:30AM on the 7th and 6:30PM on the same day, local time. The Delta Baggage Service Center can also be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or via fax at 404-773-0691.
Only 6 Days after my 10/1 arrival...and the scary part is, I think I'm one of the lucky ones still...
Old Oct 7, 05, 7:40 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
What is the Extent of this strike?

I am not clear about the extent of this strike. I am flying through CDG next week and absolutely cannot afford to lose my two large checked suitcases. I am assuming that most connecting passenger's checked bags are making it or else there would be hundreds of angry posters here.

I have checked the Air France web page and there is no mention of any difficulties with baggage. Can I assume this was a backlog created from the one day strike earlier this week. Otherwise, is there anything I can do to assure the arrival of my checked bags next week? For example, would excess insurance allow for more precise handling? Or is that even allowed on international flights? Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 05, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Rail Baron
I am not clear about the extent of this strike. I am flying through CDG next week and absolutely cannot afford to lose my two large checked suitcases. I am assuming that most connecting passenger's checked bags are making it or else there would be hundreds of angry posters here.

I have checked the Air France web page and there is no mention of any difficulties with baggage. Can I assume this was a backlog created from the one day strike earlier this week. Otherwise, is there anything I can do to assure the arrival of my checked bags next week? For example, would excess insurance allow for more precise handling? Or is that even allowed on international flights? Thanks!

according to http://strike.skynetblogs.be/ the strike is over. Does anybody have a confirmation of this rumor?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: