Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF CDG baggage handler's strike (separate strike)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by cfischer
according to http://strike.skynetblogs.be/ the strike is over. Does anybody have a confirmation of this rumor?
No, the last new report from Reuters (about 20 hours ago) says it is still on:

PARIS (Reuters) - Entre 15.000 et 18.000 bagages sont bloqués ŕ l'aéroport de Roissy en raison d'une grčve de bagagistes, annonce la préfecture de Seine-Saint-Denis qui a ordonné la réquisition des grévistes.

Prčs de 150 salariés de Connecting Bags Services (CBS), un sous-traitant d'Air France qui gčre les bagages en escale, ont cessé le travail depuis le 1er octobre pour dénoncer leurs conditions de travail et réclamer des hausses de salaires.

"Le préfet (Jean-François Cordet) a pris une réquisition de service ŕ l'égard de la société CBS et de ses personnels pour faire cesser cette situation", précise dans un communiqué la préfecture de Seine-Saint-Denis.

Elle justifie sa décision par la nécessité de rétablir la sűreté des bagages de soute dans "un contexte de risque terroriste élevé" dans les aéroports et "l'urgence de revenir ŕ une situation acceptable".

En cas de refus, les grévistes peuvent ętre condamnés ŕ six mois de prison et 10.000 euros d'amende, a dit ŕ Reuters un responsable de Force ouvričre.

Le syndicat dénonce dans un communiqué une "premičre" qui porte "atteinte au droit de grčve".

"C'est la premičre fois que l'on voit de tel procédé. C'est trčs grave", a dit le responsable de FO, précisant que CBS est une entreprise de droit privé et n'est donc pas soumise aux obligations de sűreté publique. "La décision du préfet est abusive", a-t-il estimé.

I'll try to find some more info, but the article says that 15,000-18,000 bags are still clogged up at CDG due to the striking CBS workers (CBS apparently handles only bags in transit, from what I read in the article). The préfet (administrative head of the department) has ordered the strikers back to work under penalty of 6 months in prison and a 10,000 euro fine ...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Rail Baron
I am not clear about the extent of this strike. I am flying through CDG next week and absolutely cannot afford to lose my two large checked suitcases. I am assuming that most connecting passenger's checked bags are making it or else there would be hundreds of angry posters here.

I have checked the Air France web page and there is no mention of any difficulties with baggage. Can I assume this was a backlog created from the one day strike earlier this week. Otherwise, is there anything I can do to assure the arrival of my checked bags next week? For example, would excess insurance allow for more precise handling? Or is that even allowed on international flights? Thanks!
The baggage handler strike was before the general strike. I arrived CPH a week ago today and was told of this difficulty by the baggage handlers on Friday and each day after until the 4th when I was told my bag would be sent to my home here in Indiana. However there was a man on my flight who also connected in CDG and I watched him pick up his bag at CPH.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, according to a French radio channel, the staff on strike has gone back to work after the requisition order has been faxed to the company. Clearing up the backlog is expected to take 4 or 5 days.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:41 am

Programs: Many
These guys must have a lot of work by now !
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:55 pm

Complaints Procedure??

Does anyone have an email or phone number for Air France management - the more senior the better, as I want to complain about the inexcusable way the baggage stirke was handled !
I travelled for Manchester, via CDG to Bogota Business Class on 3rd October. My bag arrived 3 days later. What makes me mad is 1) Air France let me check a bag in, in the sure knowledge that it would be delayed, and did not tell me there was any problem. 2) the total lack of information, apology, or indications that anyone at Air France was concerned. I have tried to complain through the 'proper' channels but they are not available.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I am sure the word strike will produce a lot more results in FB now than it did before. Another reason not to risk flying through France.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chipp
Does anyone have an email or phone number for Air France management - the more senior the better, as I want to complain about the inexcusable way the baggage stirke was handled !
I travelled for Manchester, via CDG to Bogota Business Class on 3rd October. My bag arrived 3 days later. What makes me mad is 1) Air France let me check a bag in, in the sure knowledge that it would be delayed, and did not tell me there was any problem. 2) the total lack of information, apology, or indications that anyone at Air France was concerned. I have tried to complain through the 'proper' channels but they are not available.
I flew business class to CPH via CDG on 29Sep, home yesterday and still don't have my checked bag. I would have been thrilled to see it after three days. That being said, all the baggage people I talked to for four days were very apologetic and related to me what they knew about the strike or labor action. Since I had a very short connecting time, I wasn't expecting my bag to arrive with me so had most of what was necessary in my other bag. I normally don't even check anything and don't think I will again for a long while. I'm glad to hear that they're working on the backlog, so maybe there's hope I'll see my bag again.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
wow - I've been lucky. Came through CDG today, bag turned up as expected in MAN....

(I know, for those who have lost luggage, sure they don't want to know this, but I thought I'd mention it for those who may be about to travel. Trust me, my luggage has been lost often enough to know what it's like )
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Trust me, my luggage has been lost often enough to know what it's like )
thats why it got tagged this is JENBEL luggage - was often lost by KLM so make it better this time
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:50 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Does anybody have a confirmation of this rumor?

The strike is NOT over. I have not yet received my baggage SIX days after arrival. I will do my best to avoid AF in the future...

Rgs,
Old Oct 8, 2005, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
According to AF's baggage agent yesterday in Israel, the strike is over. According to AmEx, yesterday, it is not.

Regardless, one of my parent's bags arrived yesterday. 2 bags are still missing. With luck, they'll arrive tonight...just in time for us to check them in for the flight home tomorrow morning.

Thanks, BTW, for all the info everyone has posted. None has been forthcoming from AF.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 5:47 am

30,000 baggage are still delayed in CDG. Apparently, the strike is NOT over. Everyone should avoid AF!

AF is horrible...I never ever had such a horrible experience (SIX days without my luggage...)

Rgs,
Old Oct 8, 2005, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
BTW, its not AF who is striking, but a handling agent.

telling never to fly AF again does not really help here ... never fly BA again because catering strike is the same silly reaction.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
From AF's fact sheets :

- Key figures: At CDG, AF handles daily
        - Delayed or damaged baggage policy
        Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:39 pm

AF never more

telling never to fly AF again does not really help here ... never fly BA again because catering strike is the same silly reaction.

The major problem of AF is that it is not handling the situation properly.

Different from BA, which sorted out the problem with the suncontract catering company in 48h, AF baggage problem is going on forever, now already a FULL week (SEVEN DAYS) of delayed baggage.

AF was very inefficient in dealing with this situation and this is a fact.

I will do the most not to travel business with AF, not only because of the horrible problem with the baggage delay, but because of its overall poor service, I will list a a few of the problems I had on my trip AMS-CDG-GIG-CDG-AMS:

1. Priority bag not respected ona rrival in GIG (actually, my baggage was one of the very last to come out in the baggage belt);
        2. Rude, slow, irresponsive and inpersonal crew, with very poor English;
        3. Below average business lounge in CDG if compared to KL new Crown Lounge;
        4. AF GIG wanted to charge me for 1.5kg extra baggage (I'm Platinum, traveling C). I found this outrageous! I considered a slap on my face.
        5. AF on C only offers 2 hot meals + express meal, whereas KL offers choice of 3 hot meals + express meal;
        6. CDG is a complete mess, compared to AMS which is a breeze when you arrive from an intercontinental flight;

The list would go on, and one...so just a summary why I will do my best to avoid AF.

Rgs,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.