My First AF Experience

Old Sep 19, 05, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
My First AF Experience

Despite being Plat / RW for quite some years I have never experienced an AF flight. Had a superb flight to SIN with KLM and some excellent flights with MH in SE Asia, ( Puts European Short haul to shame!). Reached SIN last night from KUL to be confronted with "KLM retimed" on the board. Again despite having a plethora of contact numbers KLM hadnt bothered to contact me to advise that the SIN AMS flight was running some 10 hours late. However without prompting the transfer desk got me onto AF actually departing earlier than my KLM flight. Y and C were full to the brim with no one in F, (bet no rewards available though!). The new AF C seats are very similar to KLMs 777; more comfortable I thought and better laid out. I still slip down them though. I should buy some velcro and stick it to a shirt. No personal greeting; a glass of champagne before take off; no pre dinner drinks. Dinner was OK; less choice than KLM and nothing special; and the wine; (all French of course), was pretty average. A very large C cabin which did not feel special as the upper deck on KLM does. Breakfast was particularly poor.

The crew were smart but completely uninterested, (why dont AF crew have name badges?). the whole service was impersonal and frosty. I think I was one of only a few non French speakers in the cabin but none of the crew ever remembered this. Between the two meals the crew pretty much vanished and it was left to the passengers to self service water etc.

There also seemed a major lack of toilets in the cabin for which there were always queues. Overall I was very dissapointed but perhaps I just hit a bad crew. I was left regretting not waiting the 10 hours for the KLM flight.
Old Sep 19, 05, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It will be the crew on the night so don't write them off completely. I've done MAN-CDG-BOM and back in Y with AF. On the way out, experience was similar to yours accept worse because it was Y. Maybe I was too used to BA at the time? On the way back, I experienced a friendly, not overly formal and always willing to help standard of service.

I might have waited the extra 10 hours not to go through CDG though....

Last edited by Internaut; Sep 19, 05 at 12:45 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: