if stranded, can we ask AF for hotel in Paris and not near CDG?

Old Aug 25, 05, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

if stranded, can we ask AF for hotel in Paris and not near CDG?

We have a tight connection in CDG next month, and while we will probably make it, I am looking ahead to what we might want to do IF the incoming flight is late. (We're continuing transatlantic and there are no further outgoing flights that day.)

Will AF honor our request to put us up somewhere, anywhere, in Paris proper, with us paying for transportation? Or do they have arrangements with airport hotels only?

Oh, also, we arrive at 2F and the flight out is from 2E. Will we be able to see on a monitor at 2F the status of AF flights out of 2E , or do we need to run to 2E first? I don't want to ask at a 2F transfer desk because there will probably be a line.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 25, 05 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 25, 05, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by kalia960
Will AF honor our request to put us up somewhere, anywhere, in Paris proper, with us paying for transportation? Or do they have arrangements with airport hotels only?

Oh, also, we arrive at 2F and the flight out is from 2E. Will we be able to see on a monitor at 2F the status of AF flights out of 2E , or do we need to run to 2E first? I don't want to ask at a 2F transfer desk because there will probably be a line.
AF has arrangements with various airport hotels, depending on a number of criteria, ranging from the Ibis to the Sofitel. I have no personal experience of colleagues being offered accomodation in Paris proper.

And yes, there are monitors in 2F showing the status of flights at various CDG2 halls, including 2E. Some of them are located close to the 2F transfer desks before baggage retrieval or on the 2F departures level in front of the check-in counters.
Old Aug 25, 05, 2:49 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
You would probably get a CDG hotel voucher and I have never heard of any Paris hotel for stranded passengers. I guess airlines don't want their passengers to miss their connections once more due to city night temptations...

Anyway, Sofitel and Ibis are very conveniently located near the RER (train to Paris) CDG1 stop, and nothing would prevent you from catching a train to Paris to go to a downtown restaurant and enjoy a different meal from the standard "stranded PAX" formula. Yet I recommend that you check-in before going to Paris.

On your way back, make sure you leave the ball before midnight otherwise the coach will turn into a pumpkin again. You would then be forced to pay and stay in a Paris hotel...

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Aug 25, 05 at 2:56 pm
Old Aug 25, 05, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I heard of hotels in Paris and at La Defense for stranded passengers, but this was a special situation. Airport was closed - snow in january, big surprise - and there were thousands of people stranded. but this was because all airport hotels were full. but there seem to be arrangements with other Paris hotels (mostly accor)
Old Aug 25, 05, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by kalia960

why dont you ask them to charter you a private jet and get some servants on hand to carry any hand luggage you might have ???? its an airline not a charity.
Old Aug 26, 05, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrissxb
I heard of hotels in Paris and at La Defense for stranded passengers, but this was a special situation. Airport was closed - snow in january, big surprise - and there were thousands of people stranded. but this was because all airport hotels were full. but there seem to be arrangements with other Paris hotels (mostly accor)
They will not pay for a city hotel, unless, as stated above all airport hotels are full. Out of the airport bunch, I find the Hilton to be the best option- the Sofitel is OK, but they frequently put AF guests on the 7th (only non rennovated) floor of the hotel- some sort of "special" arrangement with AF!
You can take the rer/metro, and if you do stay out late- worst case scenario is to catch a taxi back to the airport (at night should cost about 55 EUR).
Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 05, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You can take the rer/metro, and if you do stay out late- worst case scenario is to catch a taxi back to the airport (at night should cost about 55 EUR).
Good luck!
Or, if you are a cheapskate, you can take a bus de nuit. it costs 8 Euros (and most RATP/SNCF season or tourist tickets accepted), leaves every hour throughout the night from Chatelet and takes approx 45 mins.
Old Aug 26, 05, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Too bad they don't have a contract with a Paris hotel: I can think of many no-star hotels in town that I'd choose over a concrete box at CDG, but I guess AF gets volume prices and wouldn't save much money by including such an option.
Old Sep 13, 05, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Just an update...our incoming flight was somewhat late, and our outgoing flight was at the satellite terminal (2E gate 80?).

But we made it, because they met us at the arrival gate (terminal 2D) and walked us down to the tarmac and drove us directly to the remote terminal. Which is excellent service...plus, they saved the cost of the hotel!

In general, everything on AF was a cut above US carriers and certainly better than KLM. I've been on AF only maybe twice in ~10 years, and this was just coach award travel with NW miles, but maybe I should fly AF more often. The drinks cart parked outside the galley is an excellent touch.
Old Sep 13, 05, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for the update ! I am glad everything went well .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: