Does AF weigh carry-on bags at Geneva?

Old Aug 23, 05, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Does AF weigh carry-on bags at Geneva?

I did a search but could not find the answers I was looking for...

I will fly from Geneva to CDG in October and would like to know how strictly AF enforces the weight limit (12kg) for carry-on luggage. Do the check-in agents weigh carry-on bags?

My bag will be well within the size limit of 115cm. I will also have a laptop bag. I do not know how much my carry-on weighs, because I have never had it weighed by any airline in the US or Japan. I suspect that it may be over the weight limit, however.

The AF web site says that the weight limit for carry-on luggage is a "total" of 12kg. Does this "total" also include my laptop, so that the total weight of my laptop and roll-aboard cannot exceed 12kg??

And finally, can I get around the weight limit by checking in at a kiosk? Is this a good way to bypass the agents?
Old Aug 23, 05, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
this never happened to me at GVA. never had any weight problems wit carry-on luggage. If you have only carry-on, the kiosk is definitely an option !!! good flight!!!
Old Aug 24, 05, 4:09 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
GVA is probably one of the nicest bunch of AF staff - very friendly and helpful. I did GVA-CDG yesterday ad they let on one lady (who had a Gold tag) with two bags, plus a handbag, plus two Umbrellas!

Took her ages to figure out where to put the umbrellas
Old Aug 24, 05, 10:45 am

Haven't had this problem with AF (or KLM for that matter) at GVA yet.

LX, on the other hand, sometimes has roaming agents enforcing the rules (number and size) at the boarding gate on full flights, notably the GVA-ZRH shuttle.

I get the impression most employees in the French sector of GVA are French, and as such more lenient than their Swiss counterparts (apart from the airport's French customs agents, always on the lookout for transaction receipts from Swiss banks). Quick check: make them say something containing 70 or 90 in French

Last edited by monahos; Aug 24, 05 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:18 am

Programs: FB-Gold; AA-Gold
Checked Luggage

Never had a problem with carry-on luggage but depending on the time/day of the flight the overhead bins get filled up pretty quickly. I was taking the flight every Friday afternoon for about 6/7 weeks and it was pretty full most, if not all times. Definitely use the kiosk as it is quicker and if you have the possibility, check in on-line. (Too often I got a middle seat. ). An agent once told me to check in on-line anyway and then if you have to you can check in your luggage but at least you won't have a middle seat.

Last edited by JFK2CDG; Sep 22, 05 at 9:19 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 23, 05, 11:00 am
q

Originally Posted by jsfr
GVA is probably one of the nicest bunch of AF staff - very friendly and helpful.
Yes ... This is the place, unchanged
Old Feb 21, 06, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
No change. Pleasant and cheerful staff ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: