Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:07 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Appletom
I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on betonic's query, mine is similar.

Houston to Copenhagen (in July 2008) with a 1:15 layover at Charles de Gaulle. Is it possible to make this connection? It's been over 10 years since I've flown into CDG.

Same question on the return, our tour coordinator has chosen a flight with only a 45 minute connection at CDG.

And - ours is a group of 40 11-14 year old soccer players and 10-15 parents with very little international flight experience.

Here's the entire itinerary:

July 9, 2008 CO #1710 Depart Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) at 4:30 pm
Arrive Houston (IAH) at 5:44 pm

AF #031 Depart Houston (IAH) at 9:55 pm
Arrive Paris (CDG) at 2:25 pm +1

July 10, 2008 AF #1050 Depart Paris (CDG) at 3:40 pm
Arrive Copenhagen (CPH) at 5:35 pm
---------------------------------------
July 20, 2008 AF #5033 Depart Gothenburg (GOT) at 12:50 pm
Arrive Paris (CDG) at 3:10 pm

AF #038 Depart Paris (CDG) at 3:55 pm
Arrive Houston (IAH) at 7:35 pm

CO #1415 Depart Houston (IAH) at 9:15 pm
Arrive Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) at 10:23 pm

Thanks in advance from an FT newcomer who spends most of his FT time in the Southwest area of these boards.
- 2:25 PM is not a peak arrival time for 2E (at least it isn't today ).
- Once you have cleared immigration in 2E, you will need about 15mn to reach 2D. Just head towards the TGV station and take the escalator up one level at the far end of 2E, opposite the one where you exit through baggage retrieval. (5mn). Walk to the TGV station over a set of moving walkways (5mn). Turn right to cross over to the other side of the building (1mn). Turn left and use another set of moving walkways to reach 2D. (5mn)
- You will need to show your boarding pass to enter the check-in/shops area. And then, you will need to show your booarding pass and ID to enter the gate area itself.
- 1h15 mn is short but doable

- On the way back, 45m is very very tight, but it is not a peak hour, either. For a group of your size (55 pax), AF usually has an agent who will guide you from one terminal to the other and I guess that they will probably have the aircraft waiting for your group.

Enjoy your flights

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 6, 2007 at 9:31 am
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:44 am

2 hr connection in 2E

Planning a trip which has segments SVO-CDG-IAD on Aeroflot connecting to Air France. It seems that this connection is all in terminal 2E. If so, then 2 hours should be ample time to connect, correct? No status, but all in business class.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:40 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
It should not be a problem for a 2E/2E connection. When are you flying, though ? Unless I am mistaken, SU operated flights to SVO currently use 2C.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Thank you for your comments. Our outbound flight is on September 19th and the return flight is on October 5th. It seems that we will be arriving in 2C.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:23 pm

Thanks for your reply JOUY. It would be nice if someone could create a map of all the different bits, say on Wikimapia, superimposed on the satellite images of CDG. The PDF at Aeroports is the only map that is anywhere near comprehensive and it is really only a schematic.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
JOUY31, you make it sound like a surgical operation! It's not as complicated as it sounds there

But its accurate. And can certainly be helpfull
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:34 pm

A quicky: At what time do they start running the CDGVAL? I need to go from a hotel at the RER station to catch a Schengen flight around 6 am!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
It should not be a problem for a 2E/2E connection. When are you flying, though ? Unless I am mistaken, SU operated flights to SVO currently use 2C.
I assume that since AF flights SVO-CDG use 2E, then the SU flights would use 2E as well. If I am wrong, then is 2 hours OK for a 2C to 2E connection? Not flying until next year, but I want to make definite plans because the trip will be an award flight.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
A quicky: At what time do they start running the CDGVAL? I need to go from a hotel at the RER station to catch a Schengen flight around 6 am!
Quick answer : it runs 24/7; it is just that there are fewer shuttles during the night and I don't have the data this minute.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Zembla
JOUY31, you make it sound like a surgical operation! It's not as complicated as it sounds there
You're right . It is easier than I make it look and signeage is now quite good. Sometimes, too much information ... But that's the way I try to plan my connections in CDG, FRA, FCO, MXP, VIE and elsewhere when it is possible. I like to know how tight my situation can get when a flight is delayed and what my options are.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I assume that since AF flights SVO-CDG use 2E, then the SU flights would use 2E as well. If I am wrong, then is 2 hours OK for a 2C to 2E connection? Not flying until next year, but I want to make definite plans because the trip will be an award flight.
AF operations at CDG will continue to change a lot until the end of 2008:
- October : second phase of opening of S3 (West side)
- December : third and last phase of opening of S3 (West side)
- mid-2008 : re-opening of the main boarding area of 2E
- fall 2008 : opening of 2G, the terminal dedicated to AF regional aircrafts flying to Schengen destinations.

Except for the last item, these changes can (and will quite probably) impact SU operated flights to/from SVO, which are expected to move to 2E.

In any case, 2 hours for a 2C to 2E connection is fine if your incoming flight is on time.

One last item, it would seem that both AF and SU operated flights currently use 2C and that they will both move to 2E with the winter timetable, on October 28th.

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 29, 2007 at 6:36 am
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: SWA RR
Originally Posted by JOUY31
- 2:25 PM is not a peak arrival time for 2E (at least it isn't today
- 1h15 mn is short but doable

- On the way back, 45m is very very tight, but it is not a peak hour, either. For a group of your size (55 pax), AF usually has an agent who will guide you from one terminal to the other and I guess that they will probably have the aircraft waiting for your group.

Enjoy your flights
Thank you JOUY31. That's the coolest thing about Flyer Talk, somebody who knows the correct answer will be around to answer a query, no matter what airline or what airport.

But I still think 1:15 is too tight and I'm going to recommend they take Delta from DFW to ATL, with a four hour layover, then NS from ATL to CPH. Although, the soccer kids think there is something cool about being in Paris, even if just to change planes.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
ZRH-CDG-HKG, latest transfer news?

Hello all,

my next trip on November 1 will take me to HKG on AF5109/AF188. While browsing this thread, it looks like CDG experienced some changes since my last transfer last February (ZRH-SFO). I've also learnt, that AF188 is now scheduled to depart from the new S3. So here are my questions: How's the transfer from 2F (where flights from ZRH usually arrived) to S3? How easy to find is the lounge in S3 (I saw http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=688448&page=6 Falco's pictures in his Post #87, looks nice!)?

Thanks for your always great insights!

Michael

Last edited by KL803; Sep 16, 2007 at 5:43 am Reason: Insert Link
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by KL803
Hello all,

my next trip on November 1 will take me to HKG on AF5109/AF188. While browsing this thread, it looks like CDG experienced some changes since my last transfer last February (ZRH-SFO). I've also learnt, that AF188 is now scheduled to depart from the new S3. So here are my questions: How's the transfer from 2F (where flights from ZRH usually arrived) to S3? How easy to find is the lounge in S3 (I saw Falco's pictures, looks nice!)?

Thanks for your always great insights!

Michael
Hi Michael,

- Transfer is easy. Walk over to 2E, go through immigration and get on board LISA.

- There is a No 1 access line (i.e. priority) for security.

- Once you get through security, the lounge is clearly indicated, entrance located to the right of security, 1 floor up.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Walk over to 2E, go through immigration and get on board LISA.
Thanks for your answer GenevaFlyer! Is there a way to remain air-side (meaning not going through immigration)? Because arriving from ZRH, we're outside Schengen, so we don't necessarily have to go through immigration at CDG. Besides, my wife won't have a Schengen visa anyway, so immigration is a rather "no-go" for us.

Thanks! Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.