FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Reply

Old Jun 7, 06, 11:40 pm
  #121  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belgium/Luxembourg/Japan
Programs: BA Gold - ANA Platinum
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Arriving from Nice at 14:50 on a Sunday and flying on to Turin at 16:10 on AF.

Should I travel with cabin bags only or can I risk checked-luggage given the short connection time. Both flights use terminal 2F I think.
Based on my experience, 1h20 is fine at CDG with intra-european flights.
SpiderBen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 06, 5:24 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Programs: FB PE, BA Au
Posts: 141
50 mins OK for transfer 2F to 2C at CDG?

I would welcome any advice,

I have booked a flight LHR > CDG > SIN in L'Espace Affaires, I have to change terminals in CDG with 50 minutes to get from 2F to 2C.

I booked using the AF booking tool and selected the top option in the list, so theortically AF are happy with the connection as it would seem to be their recommended option. Having read many of the replys to this thread, I'm getting a bit worried.


Have I messed up royally?
Is this connection possible?
Connection Assistance is offered to pax with 30-45 mins, but I have 50; would I be able to get it if the inbound flight is delayed?
halfdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 06, 7:14 am
  #123  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 12,197
Originally Posted by halfdan
I would welcome any advice,

I have booked a flight LHR > CDG > SIN in L'Espace Affaires, I have to change terminals in CDG with 50 minutes to get from 2F to 2C.

I booked using the AF booking tool and selected the top option in the list, so theortically AF are happy with the connection as it would seem to be their recommended option. Having read many of the replys to this thread, I'm getting a bit worried.


Have I messed up royally?
Is this connection possible?
Connection Assistance is offered to pax with 30-45 mins, but I have 50; would I be able to get it if the inbound flight is delayed?
I had exactly the same connection, but with the flight from LHR being delayed, I had actually less than 30mn to make the flight to SIN. AF staff were great and drove us across CDG at high speed and rushed us successfully through security and to the gate . It did help that we did not have to go through any immigration check as we were not entering France and the Schengen zone. Nevertheless, problems can happen and I would definitely try to have an earlier flight from LHR.
JOUY31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 06, 8:11 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: Oneworld
Posts: 93
CDG Info

Thank you so much for the hard work chrissxb! This is very helpful. I have a 45 min trans in T2.
Jennifer Strbac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 06, 2:09 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MEL - anywhere
Programs: FB PfL; Virgin AU Velocity Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Tufty Club
Posts: 38
Smile

Originally Posted by SpiderBen
Based on my experience, 1h20 is fine at CDG with intra-european flights.
Ditto my experiences flying thru CDG. Typically by that time of day, there is a 'healthy' delay on the intra-European flights. Even when having to take the bus from plane-terminal, thru security and then bus from terminal-plane, one never seems to miss the outward flight. Good luck!
ryan_keenan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 06, 3:53 pm
  #126  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York NY
Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Posts: 2,482
Connection between Continental arriving CDG 2A and AF to IST in 2B

Hi, I'm generally familiar with CDG haveing been there around 10X, but this is the first time that I'll be connecting from a US flight on Continental arriving teminal 2A to an AF flight to Istanbul leaving from 2B. Is it required to "enter France" in 2A and then walk over to 2B or to we stay outside of France the whole time using the shuttle bus?

Or do we have choice? And if so what do you recommend? We have about 2 1/2 hours for our connection. I'm SKy Team Elite and we're traveling Business class so I could use whatever AF lounge would be best. SOme have suggested the arrivals lounge in 2C.

I've read a lot of the threads, but I can't quite put to together what's best for our situation. ANy help would be appreciated.
hughw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 06, 3:35 am
  #127  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 12,197
Originally Posted by hughw
I'll be connecting from a US flight on Continental arriving teminal 2A to an AF flight to Istanbul leaving from 2B. Is it required to "enter France" in 2A and then walk over to 2B or to we stay outside of France the whole time using the shuttle bus?

Or do we have choice? And if so what do you recommend? We have about 2 1/2 hours for our connection. I'm SKy Team Elite and we're traveling Business class so I could use whatever AF lounge would be best. SOme have suggested the arrivals lounge in 2C.

I've read a lot of the threads, but I can't quite put to together what's best for our situation. ANy help would be appreciated.
Well, you are not required to enter France and you can definitely use the airside shuttle. On the other hand, going landside and walking is also easy and allows you to enjoy a nice shower at the arrivals lounge.

The important point for me would be the actual arrival time in the 2A building and the time it leaves you with for getting over to 2B. If you choose to go landside, you need :
- to clear immigration in 2A (no recent experience on my part)
- walk over to 2C : 5mn
- shower at the 2C arrivals lounge : I never had a queue there, and usually spend at least half an hour there
- walk back to the food court between 2A and 2C, go down one level, and cross over to the food court between 2B and 2D, then to 2B : 10mn
- clear immigration in 2B (varies from 2mn to 20mn)
- go to the gate (max : 5mn) and clear security; you would need to be in the gate area no later than 20mn before the scheduled departure time.

So, if you have 2 and a half hours, there should not be a problem. If your incoming flight is late, well things can get murkier, but the above timelines should help you in making the right decision.

The AF departures lounge in 2B is nothing special but it does have a wider selection of newspapers and magazines than the already decent selection available in the 2C arrivals lounge.

Seating on the CDG-IST leg is nothing special either, except for the empty middle seat. Nevertheless, as it is one of the longer medium-haul routes, you always have a hot meal and a selection of 4 nice wines usually served on long-haul routes instead of the bland Vins de pays served on flights shorter than 3 hours.

Enjoy your flights
JOUY31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 06, 6:03 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York NY
Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Posts: 2,482
Many thanks for your thoughtful answer. Other than showers at the 2C arrivals lounge, how would you rate the 2B vs. 2C arrivals lounge on the whole regarding ambience, food, etc?
hughw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 06, 10:09 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,859
night and day

Originally Posted by hughw
Many thanks for your thoughtful answer. Other than showers at the 2C arrivals lounge, how would you rate the 2B vs. 2C arrivals lounge on the whole regarding ambience, food, etc?
2B is crowded, noisy, and a bit smoky. It's open to the terminal (on a landing above the main floor) so that adds to the noise. kind of like an hourglass with two lounges sections (one smoking, one non-smoking) connected by the area where the food and drinks are kept. BA also has a section of the floor by the entrance. Older furniture (gray leather armchairs and sofas). They have a good selection of drinks (H20, juices, soft drinks, a cappuccino machine, aperitifs)--all self serve--and a nice selection of croissants last time I was there early (before 9 a.m.--don't know what time your place arrives). After 9 they just have potato chips and cookies as far as food goes.

The arrivals lounge in 2C has ten shower cabins (wood and tile), a breakfast area with nice small club chairs and tables (food until around noon is ham, proscuitto, hard boiled eggs, bread, butter, cheese, cereal, croissants, apples) and the same drinks as 2B. Theres a small smoking room, a room with three massage chairs, and a TV area.

Personally, I really like the arrivals lounge. I always scheduled my connections with at least three hours so that I could spend some time there. The ammenity kit in the showers has a Green Tea unisex cologne that my wife loves. The breakfast is better than what you get on the plane. And it's usually quiet (I've never seen more than a dozen people there, but my flights from the West Coast usually arrive later, so that may be a factor).

But if you don't want a shower after a night on the plane and you arrive before 8 so that you can catch breakfast at the 2B lounge, I suppose 2B would be OK.

One last thing: security in 2B is by gate cluster (up to four gates share one entrance from the main terminal area to a mini depature lounge). If two or more full flights are leaving at the same time, it can be quite chaotic trying to get several hundred people through one X-ray station. They will sometimes pull people from the line if the flight is about to leave, but arriving at the gate 20 minutes before the flight is scheduled to depart as JOUY31 suggested could be cutting it close if there's a long line. ADP needs to get their act together, but until they do, be aware that this set-up may cut into the time you are able to enjoy either lounge. Or don't stress it and just hope that they let people go to the front who are close to missing the flight .
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 06, 11:40 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York NY
Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Posts: 2,482
Again thanks for a wonderfully detailed reply. It sounds like 2C is the place to go. We arrive 2A around 7:30am and leave 2B around 10am. Two further questions:

1 Is the 2C lounge airside or landside?
2. Is their any kind of expedited security line for Sky Team Elite Plus/ Continental Platinum passengers?

And don't worry, I've got a very nervous wife. She would never allow us to get to the security point with only 20 minutes to flight time; 45 minutes + is more likely.
hughw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 06, 12:31 pm
  #131  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by hughw
Again thanks for a wonderfully detailed reply. It sounds like 2C is the place to go. We arrive 2A around 7:30am and leave 2B around 10am. Two further questions:

1 Is the 2C lounge airside or landside?
2. Is their any kind of expedited security line for Sky Team Elite Plus/ Continental Platinum passengers?

And don't worry, I've got a very nervous wife. She would never allow us to get to the security point with only 20 minutes to flight time; 45 minutes + is more likely.
1. Landside. See JOUY31's description of how to get there from 2A.
2. No. Getting into 2B if you walk from 2C is easy--just passport control. There are two entrances, one on each end of the terminal. If one is really backed up, try the other one. At the gate cluster, there is only one line for all passengers--first/biz, elite, no status, etc.

Since you are arriving early, if you don't want the shower, the 2B lounge would be OK for a continental breakfast.
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 06, 3:17 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
I have a LYS-CDG-SIN flight, both flights on Air France with 65 mins to make the correspondance. i have to get from 2F to 2C. Do i need to take a shuttle bus to get to 2C? or can i get there on foot? how long will that take? is 65 mins realistic even considering i'll have to go through passport control?

This being the first time i'm travelling alone, and not being particularly familiar with CDG, i'm getting pretty worried!

Thanks for replying!
sirona86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 06, 8:19 pm
  #133  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 12,197
Originally Posted by sirona86
I have a LYS-CDG-SIN flight, both flights on Air France with 65 mins to make the correspondance. i have to get from 2F to 2C. Do i need to take a shuttle bus to get to 2C? or can i get there on foot? how long will that take? is 65 mins realistic even considering i'll have to go through passport control?
You should definitely walk from 2F to 2C. With 65m, it should be OK. You need :
- 5mn to walk from 2F to the TGV station
- 1mn to cross over the TGV station from the North side of CDG2 to the South side
- 5mn to walk from the TGV station to 2C, where you will go through passports control.

If your flight from LYS uses a remote stand, you should add 15mn to reach 2F.

Enjoy your flights
JOUY31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 06, 2:25 am
  #134  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,292
Interline bags: AF>NW?

If flying on two separate reservations (BCN-CDG on AF & CDG-DTW on NW) can I check my bags through to Detroit from Barcelona? OR do I need to claim my bag at CDG and go over to NW and re-check it?
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 06, 3:58 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by nroscoe
If flying on two separate reservations (BCN-CDG on AF & CDG-DTW on NW) can I check my bags through to Detroit from Barcelona? OR do I need to claim my bag at CDG and go over to NW and re-check it?
Shouldn't be a problem since AF & NW are SkyTeam partners; I've been able to do this before with non-SkyTeam to SkyTeam and an overnight conection.
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread