Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by goma
Hi,

I also flight from Vietnam to Glasgow and transit at CDG. My flight would be HAN-CDG (Vietnam Airlines, terminal 2E) and CDG-GLA (flybe, also terminal 2E). My baggage is not checked through, so I will need to claim my baggage from Vietnam Airlines and check in to FlyBE. Do I need a transit visa then?

Thanks.
Are you on one ticket or separate tickets for these 2 flights ?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Are you on one ticket or separate tickets for these 2 flights ?
I'm on separate tickets, I checked with Vietnam Airlines and they said they don't have interline agreement with FlyBe.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
I'm on separate tickets, I checked with Vietnam Airlines and they said they don't have interline agreement with FlyBe.
In this case, yes you will need a transit visa, since you need to claim your baggage and re-check it, which happens landside.

Also make sure that you have ample time for your connection, since if you miss your connecting flight you will have to find alternate means of transport to GLA on your own expense.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by haggis79
In this case, yes you will need a transit visa, since you need to claim your baggage and re-check it, which happens landside.

Also make sure that you have ample time for your connection, since if you miss your connecting flight you will have to find alternate means of transport to GLA on your own expense.
The poster didn't tell us his citizenship, but I assume he's Vietnamese ? He as to check carefully what are the requirements (I'm no expert at all in this), as I'm not sure only a transit visa is needed. Could a full Schengen visa be required (as basically the traveller will pass immigration in CDG and be allowed to enter the Schengen area) ?

Note to Goma : to avoid all these hassles, you could have booked this entire itinerary under AF flight numbers, as AF code-shares with both VN and BE on your routing (and so interlines with both).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by haggis79

I have 5 hours between the 2 flights so I guess it's alright. I hope my fight to CDG is not delayed... Thanks for your information!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:48 am

The poster didn't tell us his citizenship, but I assume he's Vietnamese ? He as to check carefully what are the requirements (I'm no expert at all in this), as I'm not sure only a transit visa is needed. Could a full Schengen visa be required (as basically the traveller will pass immigration in CDG and be allowed to enter the Schengen area) ?

Note to Goma : to avoid all these hassles, you could have booked this entire itinerary under AF flight numbers, as AF code-shares with both VN and BE on your routing (and so interlines with both).
Thanks Goldorak. Yes I'm Vietnamese. I actually emailed the Embassy of France in Vietnam asking about the requirements 3 days ago but they haven't replied me yet... (and they refused to answer questions on visa via phone )
I got a free ticket to CDG from Vietnam Airlines so I didn't book the entire route under AF.

My flights are from the same terminal, so I assume I won't have to go through security check many times? (I read somewhere that going to different terminal requires security check 5-6 times or so). This is my 1st time at CDG so I'm a bit worried.

Last edited by goma; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks Goldorak. Yes I'm Vietnamese. I actually emailed the Embassy of France in Vietnam asking about the requirements 3 days ago but they haven't replied me yet... (and they refused to answer questions on visa via phone )
Be sure, when you enquire, that you precise that you will actually enter France because you will clear immigration. This is potentially completely different from a classical international transit when you're staying in the int'l transit zone and not entering the country you are transiting in.

My flights are from the same terminal, so I assume I won't have to go through security check many times? (I read somewhere that going to different terminal requires security check 5-6 times or so). This is my 1st time at CDG so I'm a bit worried.
Certainly not 5 or 6 times you will arrive in 2E, clear French immigration, collect your bags, clear customs (although you may not notice it unless you a stopped for a search). Then you arrive in the public zone (arrival area). You'll have to go one floor up (departure level), check-in to GLA (note that BE handled by AF in CDG), re-clear French immigration (you leave the Schengen area), pass security and finally take your flight
Of course you will have to clear UK Immgration arriving in GLA.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:31 am

Be sure, when you enquire, that you precise that you will actually enter France because you will clear immigration. This is potentially completely different from a classical international transit when you're staying in the int'l transit zone and not entering the country you are transiting in.

Certainly not 5 or 6 times you will arrive in 2E, clear French immigration, collect your bags, clear customs (although you may not notice it unless you a stopped for a search). Then you arrive in the public zone (arrival area). You'll have to go one floor up (departure level), check-in to GLA (note that BE handled by AF in CDG), re-clear French immigration (you leave the Schengen area), pass security and finally take your flight
Of course you will have to clear UK Immgration arriving in GLA.
Thanks so much, I have a clearer idea of what to expect now!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:27 pm

Hello. This Forum is great, I was unaware of the existence of it. I think it is very useful, because information are based on real experiences. Since I travel a little I will do my best to contribute.

Now... here is my problem.
Next month I will fly from Rennes to Paris CDG, landing at 08:30 at Terminal 2G. Later, at 11:30, I will fly from Terminal 2A to Dallas DFW.

I have to transfer from Terminal 2G to Terminal 2A: I think 3 hours are enough, right?

But unfortunately I have 2 different reservations (tickets): Rennes-Paris with AirFrance and Paris-Dallas with American Airlines.
AirFrance and American Airlines are not partners, for this reason I guess at Rennes Airport I will not be able to get my boarding pass for flight Paris-Dallas, neither to ship my baggage directly to DFW.

Since I must re-check, I cannot transfer air-side from Terminal 2G to Terminal 2A, right?

So I guess I am obliged to:
- check at Rennes Airport, get my boarding pass (Rennes-Paris) and ship my checked baggage to CDG;
- claim my baggage at CDG Terminal 2G;
- exit Terminal 2G;
- transfer (land-side) from Terminal 2G to Terminal 2A taking a shuttle/taxi;
- re-check at Terminal 2A, get my boarding pass (Paris-Dallas) and ship my checked baggage to DFW;
- pass through Security and passport control.

Am I right? Any other option?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by SamCross
- check at Rennes Airport, get my boarding pass (Rennes-Paris) and ship my checked baggage to CDG;
- exit Terminal 2G;
- re-check at Terminal 2A, get my boarding pass (Paris-Dallas) and ship my checked baggage to DFW;

Am I right? Any other option?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I guess that AF has an interline agreement with AA, so you should be able to check your bags all the way through in Rennes. Just show the onward reservation, no BP needed (you might however get your BP for AA online, AF in RNS will almost certainly not be able to print an AA BP). You might need to insist, however, as at French domestic airports agents are not always aware of the policies. The morning flight RNS-CDG is usually on-time, so even if you could not check your bags through, you'll have enough time at CDG to do it.

Transfer 2G-2A is only landside with or without baggage. The only airside bus from 2G is to terminal 2E. Shuttle bus leaves you at terminal 2C from where you walk about 200m inside the terminal building to the A-extension, where you'll find the AA counters. You'll pass then passport control and security check at terminal 2A (I think it's now new, between terminals 2A and 2C). If you can't check your bags through, you'll have to get them at 2G and take the bus with your bags.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Welcome to FT SamCross

I have to transfer from Terminal 2G to Terminal 2A: I think 3 hours are enough, right?
Yes, more than enough

AirFrance and American Airlines are not partners, for this reason I guess at Rennes Airport I will not be able to get my boarding pass for flight Paris-Dallas, neither to ship my baggage directly to DFW.

Since I must re-check, I cannot transfer air-side from Terminal 2G to Terminal 2A, right?
As you said, AF will not be able to give you the AA BP. But they do interline together, meaning that you should be able to check your bag until DFW. When you check-in in RNS with AF, let the agent know immediately that you are connecting in CDG to DFW on AA (separate ticket) and show him/her your e-ticket receipt for the AA flight. This will avoid you to have to claim bags at CDG.
Your transfer from 2G to 2A will indeed be landside, using the shuttle provided by ADP.

- exit Terminal 2G;

Am I right?
Yes, except that the bags should be checked until DFW (see before) and that the transfer 2G-2A is by the shuttle bus and not a taxi (no taxi will accept this ride, except if you pay them 100€ )
An important detail, if you managed successfully to check your bag until final destination : when you will check-in with AA (to obtain your BP), let them know that you have checked a bag in RNS and show them the baggage receipt as they will probably have to enter the info manually n their system. The same applies if you checked-in online for the CDG-DFW flight.

Last edited by Goldorak; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:11 pm

@ MarLim and Goldorak: thank you so much for your help..!! ^

I totally forgot: I will check-in online.
I will get my BP for Paris-Dallas flight on BA website (I have a BA flight operated by AA).
So BP is not an issue here.

Let me try to sum up...

BAGGAGE
• If in RNS they will be able to ship my baggage to DFW (interline), I simply must transfer to Terminal 2A, stop at BA/AA counters and tell them I checked my baggage in RNS.
• If in RNS they will NOT be able to ship my baggage to DFW, I must claim my baggage in CDG Terminal 2G, transfer to Terminal 2A, stop at BA/AA Bag Drops where they will tag my baggage (since I already checked-in online).

TRANSFER
• In both cases (with or without baggage), at CDG I must EXIT Terminal 2G, take the free AdP N2 shuttle to Terminal 2C and walk to Terminal 2A.

Just one last doubt about baggage...
You know, I already had 3 bad experiences at CDG during a stopover (they were not able to load my baggage on my plane and I had it delivered after 24/36 hours ).
So, even if they will able to ship my baggage directly to DFW, do you think it would be safer if I decide to ship it to CDG, claim it at Terminal 2G, take it by myself to Terminal 2A and ship it to DFW?
I mean, in which case airport personnel will have more time to load my baggage on my plane: if I transfer it to Terminal 2A, or if they transfer it to Terminal 2A..??

I know, I know... I must seem to be a little paranoiac..!!!

Thank you again for your help.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
BAGGAGE
• If in RNS they will be able to ship my baggage to DFW (interline), I simply must transfer to Terminal 2A, stop at BA/AA counters and tell them I checked my baggage in RNS.
• If in RNS they will NOT be able to ship my baggage to DFW, I must claim my baggage in CDG Terminal 2G, transfer to Terminal 2A, stop at BA/AA Bag Drops where they will tag my baggage (since I already checked-in online).

TRANSFER
• In both cases (with or without baggage), at CDG I must EXIT Terminal 2G, take the free AdP N2 shuttle to Terminal 2C and walk to Terminal 2A.

Just one last doubt about baggage...
You know, I already had 3 bad experiences at CDG during a stopover (they were not able to load my baggage on my plane and I had it delivered after 24/36 hours ).
So, even if they will able to ship my baggage directly to DFW, do you think it would be safer if I decide to ship it to CDG, claim it at Terminal 2G, take it by myself to Terminal 2A and ship it to DFW?
I mean, in which case airport personnel will have more time to load my baggage on my plane: if I transfer it to Terminal 2A, or if they transfer it to Terminal 2A..??

I know, I know... I must seem to be a little paranoiac..!!!

Thank you again for your help.
If you can check through your bags, I'd do so, there is no clear pattern, when or how bags get lost at CDG; no need to stop at the AA check-in desk, if you have a BP, just tell the gate agent to verify that your bags are in their system otherwise (s)he can add it to the list.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MarLim
If you can check through your bags, I'd do so, there is no clear pattern, when or how bags get lost at CDG; no need to stop at the AA check-in desk, if you have a BP, just tell the gate agent to verify that your bags are in their system otherwise (s)he can add it to the list.
Agreed
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:29 pm

@ MarLim and Goldorak: thank you so much, now everything is clear...!!! ^

I will keep you informed...!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.