FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Old May 4, 06, 2:42 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Flying Blue, JetBlue True Blue, Virgin America Elevate
CDG Transfer Advice

First of all, I just want to say "thank you" to the moderator and other members' responses to the pleas for transfer help at CDG. It's helped me to better recall CDG's layout.

I will be flying BOS-CDG-PRG later this month (AF321 to CSA759/AF4900 Codeshare). I believe I will be arriving in 2E from Boston at 8:35 am (on a Saturday), but will likely have to make my way over to 2B for my 9:55 am connecting flight to Prague.

Should I, or am I even able to take the airside shuttle bus to 2B? Or would I have enough time to walk there given that I'd have to go through immigration twice and security once, from what I understand (could be wrong)? I am a very fast walker--most have difficulty keeping up with me.

Is Saturday morning an off-peak time for CDG, or is it quite busy then?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks from a new member...
Old May 5, 06, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
An interesting document - 348 pages - in French, published by ADP, to prepare its possible privatization, available on the ADP web site (no direct link possible due to regulatory context) . The overall trend is to move from 47.1 million passengers today at CDG, in order to reach 66.5 million in 2010, and 100 million sometime around 2020-2025. A summary of the most important investments currently planned at CDG:
  • CDG VAL landside monorail line 1 : opens end of 2006
  • CDG 1 : after the completion of phase 1 one of the renovation last January, an additional one fourth of the terminal will be renovated each year, with phase 4 completed at the end of 2008
  • S3 satellite : opening starts in June 2007 - completed in November 2007 - capacity : 8.5 million passengers
  • A380 jetways : 11 available in 2008 in CDG 1 (2), 2A, 2C, 2E and S3
  • 3 additional remote stands for widebodies (LIMA zone)
  • CDG 2E : reconstruction of the roof of the boarding area : completed in March 2008
  • CDG 2G : regional aircraft terminal - opens June 2008 - capacity : 3 million passengers
  • extension of the PX car park - from 2007 to 2010
  • TBE : Integrated baggage sorter for CDG "East" : 2E, 2F and S3 - opens gradually from end of 2006 to 2010
  • S4 satellite : opening scheduled for 2012 - capacity : 7.2 million passengers
  • LISA : airside monorail connecting the 2E isthmus building, S3 and S4
  • CDG 4 : opening starts in 2016 - capacity (upon completion of the terminal): 25 million passengers

The really new piece of information is the creation of a new, full size terminal, not only a satellite (ie boarding area) for an existing terminal.

Details concerning the integration of the VAL network, including its extension to CDG 2G, remain sketchy.

Overall, a nice strategic vision and masterplan , which nevertheless require a hard nosed implementation with a good focus and greater attention to detail than in the past. In addition, moving S4 forward to 2010 would definitely be useful.

Last edited by JOUY31; May 6, 06 at 10:25 am
Old May 5, 06, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Thank you for all of this great information. My question: I am traveling from PHL-CDG on US Airways (gold preferred, UA 1K, RCC), and then on to DXB via AF (CO gold elite). Returning DXB-CDG via AF with a five hour layover on Friday morning (8 AM - 1:30 PM). All on economy tix. What lounge access will be available to me in CDG? would it be worth purchasing a Priority Pass?
Old May 6, 06, 2:41 am

Programs: AA Exp. Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Kimpton.
Thanks for the info JOUY31. Sounds like 2008 will be a banner year for CDG with 2E coming back online and the addition of 2G. That should improve passenger comfort greatly.

Have you seen any plans for 2E? I had read that they are demolishing the entire upper level of the boarding area and rebuilding on top of the platform left. In otherwords, maintaining the operational level below and starting from scratch on the passenger area. Is that the case?
Old May 6, 06, 3:09 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by NETrekker
I will be flying BOS-CDG-PRG later this month (AF321 to CSA759/AF4900 Codeshare). I believe I will be arriving in 2E from Boston at 8:35 am (on a Saturday), but will likely have to make my way over to 2B for my 9:55 am connecting flight to Prague.

Should I, or am I even able to take the airside shuttle bus to 2B? Or would I have enough time to walk there given that I'd have to go through immigration twice and security once, from what I understand (could be wrong)? I am a very fast walker--most have difficulty keeping up with me.

Is Saturday morning an off-peak time for CDG, or is it quite busy then?
Both options are possible :
- airside bus, although I have never experienced personally leaving from or going to 2E; apparently, there is a specific bus going to 2E, I have never seen anything specific related to the bus leaving from 2E; you will be remaining airside, not clearing immigration or customs, just going through security at the gate in 2B
- entering France and going landside in 2E; once you have cleared immigration, you need about 15mn to walk to 2B, through large galleries with nice views on the tarmac, one third of the distance being on moving walkways. The possible stumbling blocks are immigration in 2B and 2E. It's been a year since I have been through immigration at 2E, so I will defer to other people's experience. In 2B, it can be a hassle on weekdays at peak hours. Saturday morning in May should be off-peak. So it should be OK (under 10mn).

So, deciding between the two options depends on the time you will be arriving in the CDG 2E building itself, on the length of the immigration queue you will see there and on the time you need to wait for the next airside bus.

Enjoy your flights
Old May 6, 06, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by hopel
Thank you for all of this great information. My question: I am traveling from PHL-CDG on US Airways (gold preferred, UA 1K, RCC), and then on to DXB via AF (CO gold elite). Returning DXB-CDG via AF with a five hour layover on Friday morning (8 AM - 1:30 PM). All on economy tix. What lounge access will be available to me in CDG? would it be worth purchasing a Priority Pass?
US Airways flights are operated from CDG1, while Air France flights are operated from CDG2. I believe there is a RCC in CDG1, which you should be able to use. Unfortunately, as you are not SkyTeam Elite Plus, you will have no access to the AF operated lounges in CDG2. And there are no Priority Pass lounges in CDG2.
Old May 6, 06, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Originally Posted by JOUY31
...snip... The possible stumbling blocks are immigration in 2B and 2E. It's been a year since I have been through immigration at 2E, so I will defer to other people's experience. In 2B, it can be a hassle on weekdays at peak hours. Saturday morning in May should be off-peak. So it should be OK (under 10mn).
I have never waited more than a few minutes at 2B immigration. If one side is really crowded, you can try walking to the other end of the building. On the other hand, my waits to clear gate security have been horrendous lately. So I would allow at least 20-30 minutes for this in case you hit it wrong (2 or 3 full planes boarding simultaneously can be a nightmare--the equivalent of a full 747 trying to get though just one x-ray machine).
Old May 8, 06, 11:45 am

Both options are possible :
- airside bus, although I have never experienced personally leaving from or going to 2E; apparently, there is a specific bus going to 2E, I have never seen anything specific related to the bus leaving from 2E; you will be remaining airside, not clearing immigration or customs, just going through security at the gate in 2B
- entering France and going landside in 2E; once you have cleared immigration, you need about 15mn to walk to 2B, through large galleries with nice views on the tarmac, one third of the distance being on moving walkways. The possible stumbling blocks are immigration in 2B and 2E. It's been a year since I have been through immigration at 2E, so I will defer to other people's experience. In 2B, it can be a hassle on weekdays at peak hours. Saturday morning in May should be off-peak. So it should be OK (under 10mn).

So, deciding between the two options depends on the time you will be arriving in the CDG 2E building itself, on the length of the immigration queue you will see there and on the time you need to wait for the next airside bus.

Enjoy your flights
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your experienced insight. Thanks to you, I feel confident I will have a viable "action plan" when I arrive at CDG...making my travel as stress-free as possible. THANK YOU!
Old May 8, 06, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
I have never waited more than a few minutes at 2B immigration. If one side is really crowded, you can try walking to the other end of the building. On the other hand, my waits to clear gate security have been horrendous lately. So I would allow at least 20-30 minutes for this in case you hit it wrong (2 or 3 full planes boarding simultaneously can be a nightmare--the equivalent of a full 747 trying to get though just one x-ray machine).
Thank you! I will definitely keep my eye on that security line in 2B. With any luck, I'll hit it at an off-peak time. Thanks again for the valuable insight and tips! I really appreciate it.
Old May 11, 06, 2:39 pm

Call for tenders for 2E

Castel and Fromaget, a subsidiary of the Fayat group, in association with Laubeuf, a subsidiary of Irish group CPH, a company specialized in canopies, have just won the call for tenders for the deconstruction and rebuilding of the steel structure of the pier of CDG2E, for an amount of 38 million euros. The two companies will have 20 months, from the official notification of the contract by Aéroport of Paris, probably at the end of May, to complete the work on the CDG2E pier. The initial form of the work, in Moorish arch, will be preserved with an identical appearance and similar interior environment, although more open to light due to the transparency of the newly constructed work. Some figures : net savings of weight above 80% - compared with the existing roof, for an amount of 10 million euros ; total cost of the work is estimated 150 million euros

Last edited by JOUY31; May 15, 06 at 11:24 am
Old May 12, 06, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Kimpton.
Thanks very much for that Jouy31! Very interesting.
Old May 17, 06, 4:54 am

Dear CDG professionals,
I will be leaving HKG (AF185) and arriving at CDG T2C at 0620 and have to catch AF1024, departing at T2D, at 0720 to Lisbon. ONly one hour to do the transit. Is it doable?

Which way do you think is better for me, to walk from T2C to T2D or to take the slow shuttle bus?

How many immigration checks do I have to get through? (I am holding an UK passport).

Thanks,
chris
Old May 17, 06, 5:51 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by chriscc
Dear CDG professionals,
I will be leaving HKG (AF185) and arriving at CDG T2C at 0620 and have to catch AF1024, departing at T2D, at 0720 to Lisbon. ONly one hour to do the transit. Is it doable?
Just about, if you're lucky...
Which way do you think is better for me, to walk from T2C to T2D or to take the slow shuttle bus?
Run as fast as you can.
How many immigration checks do I have to get through? (I am holding an UK passport).
Only one, into France; Portugal is intra-Schengen.
Old May 17, 06, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Just about, if you're lucky...

Run as fast as you can.
Just for you to know, depending on the time you come out of immigration in 2C.

Once you have cleared immigration in 2C, provided you have nothing suspicious in your carry-ons , you need :

- 10mn max to walk from 2C to 2D
- this can be shaved down to 5-6mn if you are really a good runner
- 5mn-10mn to clear security at the gate in 2D (the gate area in 2D is one single entity, so you can use any of the security checkpoints).

Good luck and enjoy your flights !
Old May 17, 06, 1:35 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Just for you to know, depending on the time you come out of immigration in 2C.
Last time (last Sunday) I arrived at 2C, it didn't take me more than 5 min to clear immigration. They had opened 5 positions at 12 pm. And my recent 2C-6 am experiences were quite fine as well. I have to say that the bus disembarkation process from the aircraft to 2C tends to fluidize the flow of passengers going through immigration.

Search this Thread