FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Old Apr 11, 06, 10:48 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
(1) Is there a transit hotel she could crash in for a while? What about shower options, etc.?
IIRC the ibis hotel close to Terminal 3 (free bus shuttle from T1 and T2) has dayroom rates. http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....19&postcount=2

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
(2) There is an earlier flight CDG-MAN leaving around 7:40 am... she's on an NW award ticket. Is there any chance whatsoever of her getting on this and avoiding the long CDG layover?
Not on an award ticket, I'm afraid. Anyway, she might want to give it a try and rush first from CDG1 to CDG2F to check with AF if she can take the only earlier flight... (AF1668 at 07:45) before being turned away and coming back to the ibis hotel. That would be much hassle.
Old Apr 14, 06, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
individual arrival screens in F terminal

this morning I saw for the first time the arrival screens at the end of the jet bridge. for every short connection, it shows gate and terminal. great job ADP - a step in the right direction
Old Apr 18, 06, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by pingster
This thread is great! Wondering if someone can help with my itinerary?
Flying AF SFO-CDG-FCO. I believe CDG to FCO is a codeshare with Alitalia. I have a 1 hr connection to get from 2C to 2F. Is this doable?

Thanks in advance!
I have read many posts and have downloaded a map of terminal 2 at CDG and still feel somewhat nervous about my flight. My wife and I will fly direct from SFO to CDG on AF arriving at terminal 2C at 11:50am. We depart from CDG to PRG (Prague) on AF at 1:05pm in Terminal 2B.

Between Terminal 2C and 2B, my questions are :

1. Is this enough time to reach my connection flight to Prague?
2. Do we (my wife and I) have to claim our bags and recheck them in?
3. Will we have anytime for a quick snack?
4. Will we have anytime for a bathroom break?
5. Should we start working on our “40” time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by The Toe; Apr 18, 06 at 2:19 pm
Old Apr 18, 06, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by The Toe
I have read many posts and have downloaded a map of terminal 2 at CDG and still feel somewhat nervous about my flight. My wife and I will fly direct from SFO to CDG on AF arriving at terminal 2C at 11:50am. We depart from CDG to PRG (Prague) on AF at 1:05pm in Terminal 2B.

Between Terminal 2C and 2B, my questions are :

1. Is this enough time to reach my connection flight to Prague?
2. Do we (my wife and I) have to claim our bags and recheck them in?
3. Will we have anytime for a quick snack?
4. Will we have anytime for a bathroom break?
5. Should we start working on our “40” time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
First, the easy answers :
2. No, your baggage will be checked through and you will clear (EU) customs in PRG
4. Yes
5. I am not familiar with the idiom

Now, about transferring from 2B to 2C. A number of points:
1. whether your incoming flight is on schedule
2. whether your incoming flight has a jetway or a remote stand; in the latter case, add 15mn to your transit time
3. once inside 2C, you do not need to clear immigration and should use the airside shuttle, which runs clockwise (2B, then 2F2 and then 2C, so the second stop). This can take as little as 10mn or up to 30mn. You should not try to walk the short distance between the two terminals (10mn) as you would need to clear immigration when entering France in 2C and in 2B when leaving France (PRG is not a Schengen destination), which can take some time
4. once inside 2B, you need to go to your gate (5mn max) and clear security which is done for each couple of gates, so no massive queue for all flights(about 5mn-10mn). Intra-European flights do not close 20mn before the scheduled departure time, but in the case of a remote stand, you should plan on being at the gate 15mn in advance (not an official rule, just a practical one). You can ask at the transfer desk in 2C whether your flight has a remote stand (au large) or a jetway (au contact).

So, when you add up the worst case scenarios, it is doable, provided your incoming flight is on schedule.

Regarding food, it is somewhat limited airside in CDG2, the good restaurants are landside, but as you are looking for a snack, this should not be a problem in 2B.

Enjoy your flights . I have only had one misconnect in CDG and AF took care of me in a satisfactory manner. Once you have the distinct steps of the process in mind, it isn't that bad.
Old Apr 26, 06, 1:11 am

Programs: UA, QF, SQ
CDG-OPO connection

Hi,

I'm trying to book an itinerary for SYD-SIN-CDG-OPO and back again in mid-May. The quoted itinerary from AF only has 45 minutes connection between arriving at CDG and leaving for OPO which as we all know is not going to happen! So I've asked for changes to push the connections out by a couple of hours (I don't mind waiting around at CDG - would rather make my flight).

I need little help with info about the connection at CDG as the last time I was at CDG in 2004 I had flown in from FRA and cleared immigration there.

I'm arriving from SIN at CDG 2C and departing for OPO and 2D (reverse on the way back)

Will I need to clear immigration at CDG or can I wait until OPO?

Can I walk from 2C to 2D, or do I have to get a bus, and how long should this take?

When I last departed CDG, there were almost no facilities (shops, food etc) on the airside, are there many facilities on airside at 2C and 2D? Are there any viewing areas airside or any outdoor areas? I don't smoke, but it'd be nice to get some fresh air.

Thanks for your help, apologies if this has already been addressed in the FAQ.
Old Apr 26, 06, 1:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by msfi
I'm arriving from SIN at CDG 2C and departing for OPO and 2D (reverse on the way back)

Will I need to clear immigration at CDG or can I wait until OPO?

Can I walk from 2C to 2D, or do I have to get a bus, and how long should this take?

When I last departed CDG, there were almost no facilities (shops, food etc) on the airside, are there many facilities on airside at 2C and 2D? Are there any viewing areas airside or any outdoor areas? I don't smoke, but it'd be nice to get some fresh air.
1. upon arrival from SIN to connect to OPO, you need to clear immigration in CDG (and you will clear customs in OPO)
2. as you will clear immigration in CDG 2C, you will be both within the Schengen area and landside. Once there, the best option is to walk to 2D.
3. as you will be landside, all food facilities will be accessible, from the fast food shops to the mid-range Brasserie Flo in 2F and the upscale restaurants in the Sheraton, above the TGV station. Regarding shops, you will have access to standard former duty free shops in 2D
4. you will also be able to step outside the terminal building for a smoke
5. you can have nice views from the large galleries between the terminals
(walk from 2C to the TGV station and then onwards to 2D, for example)

Enjoy your flights !
Old Apr 26, 06, 1:24 am

Programs: UA, QF, SQ
Originally Posted by JOUY31
3. as you will be landside, all food facilities will be accessible, from the fast food shops to the mid-range Brasserie Flo in 2F and the upscale restaurants in the Sheraton, above the TGV station.

<snip>

Enjoy your flights !
Wow, thank you for your expert help! Glad to hear I can access food, especially. Not knowing CDG last time we went airside and were very hungry by the time we departed!
Old Apr 26, 06, 2:24 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by msfi
Hi,
When I last departed CDG, there were almost no facilities (shops, food etc) on the airside, are there many facilities on airside at 2C and 2D?
Airside at 2D there used to be only some vending machines, but thankfully there is also a sandwich /softdrink shop now.

Last edited by cph_flyer; May 3, 06 at 1:28 am Reason: added "airside"
Old May 2, 06, 6:50 pm

MTY-MEX-CDG-FLR-CDG-MEX-MTY Changing Terminals in CDG

Hello,

this thread is great! I've learned a lot about CDG and transfers, but I've still got a couple of questions.

1. I should be arriving at Terminal 2E from MEX (AF 439) at 2:05 pm on May 7th 2006.
2. I connect to AF 5044 to FLR at 3:45 pm in Terminal 2D.

I'm fairly fit, so I think I will walk from 2E to 2D. From what I've read in this thread, it should be a 15 min walk or so from 2E to 2D, right? Through the TGV station. One question I have is, how easy is it to cross over the the other side of the TGV station? Is it well marked with directions to cross over and then continue to 2D?

I've read immigration is in 2E. Are the lines long in 2E? I just want to be sure I have enough time to make it to my connection. I suppose my luggage will be checked all the way through to FLR, so I guess customs will be dealt with in Italy.

On my way back, FLR-CDG-MEX, I arrive on AF 5049 at 2D at 9:10 am, and then connect to AF 432 at 10:30 am in 2E. Is this enough to make the walk from 2D to 2E, and go through immigration? This last leg is a codeshare with Aeromexico (AM 6), but the ticket was bought from AF. If the conecting time is too tight and I miss the flight, do you think it would be too difficult to get AF to put me in the next available flight?

I've only been in CDG once before (twice if you count the return trip) and my experience was a good one, but that was a looong time ago (17 years) when I spent a summer in Nice at the EF French school (Je peux me debrouiller un peu en français).

Thanks and I hope to get some good points regarding my transfer in CDG
Old May 3, 06, 1:50 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by hobbes03
Hello,

this thread is great! I've learned a lot about CDG and transfers, but I've still got a couple of questions.

1. I should be arriving at Terminal 2E from MEX (AF 439) at 2:05 pm on May 7th 2006.
2. I connect to AF 5044 to FLR at 3:45 pm in Terminal 2D.

I'm fairly fit, so I think I will walk from 2E to 2D. From what I've read in this thread, it should be a 15 min walk or so from 2E to 2D, right? Through the TGV station. One question I have is, how easy is it to cross over the the other side of the TGV station? Is it well marked with directions to cross over and then continue to 2D?
15 mins from E to D sounds about right. Crossing at the TGV/RER station is very easy - we are merely talking about 1 minute or so. Don´t recall the actual signage, but once across you make a left turn towards D and B. And yes, you will be going through immigration at CDG since this is your first port of call in a Schengen country. If your luggage is checked through, you will take the luggage through customs in FLR. Most likely you wíll hardly notice you are going through customs - they only make spot checks.
Old May 3, 06, 5:40 pm

Thanks! I'm more reassured about my connection at CDG
Old May 4, 06, 8:22 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
On my way back, FLR-CDG-MEX, I arrive on AF 5049 at 2D at 9:10 am, and then connect to AF 432 at 10:30 am in 2E. Is this enough to make the walk from 2D to 2E, and go through immigration? This last leg is a codeshare with Aeromexico (AM 6), but the ticket was bought from AF. If the conecting time is too tight and I miss the flight, do you think it would be too difficult to get AF to put me in the next available flight?
You will have all your BP's at FLR and 1h20 is enough to walk from 2D to 2E and go through immigration.
Old May 4, 06, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G_G
You will have all your BP's at FLR and 1h20 is enough to walk from 2D to 2E and go through immigration.
definitely yes. won't be a problem at all or at least shouldn't be.

just follow the signs to TGV station, then change sides and go on to E Terminal, you can't miss it. and immigration/security is usually quite quick in E.
Old May 4, 06, 10:37 am

Thanks a lot for the information. It's great to know now that immigration is usually quite quick at 2E. If immigration it's anything like what I've encountered arriving in Frankfurt before, it should be quick and painless .

Another question, in the walking to/from terminals 2E and 2D through the TGV station, how many levels do i have to go up/down, or is it all at the same level?
Old May 4, 06, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the information. It's great to know now that immigration is usually quite quick at 2E. If immigration it's anything like what I've encountered arriving in Frankfurt before, it should be quick and painless .

Another question, in the walking to/from terminals 2E and 2D through the TGV station, how many levels do i have to go up/down, or is it all at the same level?
you have to walk upstairs from arrival level to departure level (can't change terminals except 2E to 2F) on arrival level.

Search this Thread