Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:42 am

CDG T2E transfer within 70 mins.?

Hi all!
I will travel in April from Shannon SNN to LAX via CDG (both AF-flights) and have 1:10 h there to transfer. As I found out I will arrive and depart from CDG at Terminal 2E.
Will it be is possible to make it?
Do I need to pass a second security check in CDG?
Problem is that for international flights the gate usually closes early before...

Thanks a lot for your help,
best regards,

Benjamin
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:52 pm

Long layover at CDG

I have two long layovers at CDG coming up, MSP-CDG-DUS-CDG-MSP on Northwest and Air France, 6 hours and 4 hours respectively.

I am not going to have lounge access. What should I do? What's the best place to refuel and relax?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by lancexfang
I have two long layovers at CDG coming up, MSP-CDG-DUS-CDG-MSP on Northwest and Air France, 6 hours and 4 hours respectively.

I am not going to have lounge access. What should I do? What's the best place to refuel and relax?

Thanks.
I would say the bar in the lobby of the Sheraton, at the center of CDG2. It is right in the middle of the path between 2D (flights to DUS) and 2E (NW flights).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hackmack
Hi all!
I will travel in April from Shannon SNN to LAX via CDG (both AF-flights) and have 1:10 h there to transfer. As I found out I will arrive and depart from CDG at Terminal 2E.
Will it be is possible to make it?
Do I need to pass a second security check in CDG?
Problem is that for international flights the gate usually closes early before...
Yes you will have to pass a killer security screening for your flight to the USA. I usually need a couple of drinks in the lounge after I pass CDG 2E security. As for making your flight, maybe yes, maybe no. There is no way for us to tell you as there is no way to know if your flight from SNN will be on time. However since you are on AF all the way, they will take care of you in any case. And the gate does not close early at CDG, especially for flight to the US. Check in closes early, but not the gate. As you will have your BP from SNN you should be OK.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:40 am

Hi!
Thanks for your opinion.
I will probably be flying standby, is someone of you working at Air France to check some utilisation for me? Would be great.
Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:49 am

Bonjour everyone! My trip in May is getting closer and I just wanted to know if 1hr and 25 min. is a decent amount of time to connect at CDG 2E? I will be taking AF33 from Houston and connecting to AF 1280 to London. How bad is security screening and customs upon arrival from the USA? Thanks.

Oh, and I was curious if anyone has experience with AF arrivals at Heathrow terminal 2? I hear its kind of a dumpy old terminal. Do I have to go through customs again upon arriving in the UK?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
First time on the Air France Board (and I don't have much experience with travel to Europe), so sorry if I come off as a n00b

I have a friend of mine taking AF to go IAD-CDG-PRG. On this outbound leg, she has a 65 minute connection between the flights (for which, I'm guessing, the IAD-CDG leg is out of 2C and the CDG-PRG leg is out of 2D). She's a US citizen (I don't know if this will make any difference in terms of lengthening or shortening the time through customs) and a non-elite.

I have the following questions:
1. Do most flights from the IAD arrive in 2C and flights to PRG go to 2D?
2. Does she have a legitimate chance of making her connection (assuming the flight from IAD is on time)? Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:49 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by gmax58
First time on the Air France Board (and I don't have much experience with travel to Europe), so sorry if I come off as a n00b

I have a friend of mine taking AF to go IAD-CDG-PRG. On this outbound leg, she has a 65 minute connection between the flights (for which, I'm guessing, the IAD-CDG leg is out of 2C and the CDG-PRG leg is out of 2D). She's a US citizen (I don't know if this will make any difference in terms of lengthening or shortening the time through customs) and a non-elite.

I have the following questions:
1. Do most flights from the IAD arrive in 2C and flights to PRG go to 2D?
2. Does she have a legitimate chance of making her connection (assuming the flight from IAD is on time)? Thanks!
All flights from IAD actually arrive in 2E (main pier or satellite S3), while flights to PRG, as you mentioned, leave from 2D.

The tricky part will be going through immigration without access to the fast track lane, "Acces N°1". Walking from the boarding pier to immigration can take up to 15 mn. Once your friend has cleared immigration, she can reach 2D in 10mn. She will need to clear security, again without fast track access. Once she has cleared security, it is a 5mn walk to any gate.

So 65mn is doable, but rather short for my personal comfort if I had to do it.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
JOUY31, Thanks! I did have a follow-up question for you:

On the return (PRG-CDG-IAD), will she have to reclear security when going from 2D to 2E? She has some extra time (1:45 total for connection).
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by gmax58
JOUY31, Thanks! I did have a follow-up question for you:

On the return (PRG-CDG-IAD), will she have to reclear security when going from 2D to 2E? She has some extra time (1:45 total for connection).
Going from 2D, there is a direct bus from 2D to 2E (both boarding piers). She will have to clear immigration before boarding the bus (usually very little wait), and security when arriving at the boarding pier (you always need to clear security in CDG when boarding a flight, whether you are connecting or not). The bus takes 5mn from 2D to S3, stops for a minute, and takes another 5mn to reach the main boarding pier.

I wish your friend pleasant flights
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:32 pm

Uh-huh, I'm feeling little bit uncertain about whether or not me and my friend will have enough time to catch our connection flight in CDG.

The case is this: We will arrive at 2D from Helsinki to CDG, by Air France, and we have two hours to get into 2F so that we are able to catch our flight to Tokyo, also operated by AF. So, which is the quickest way to do the trip and will we be able to make it in time? Do we need to retrieve our luggages in between the flights (I doubt, since we continue with same airline?)?

I have hear too many horror stories about CDG and last time I flied with AF they lost our luggages . Little bit scared.

And on our way back, is 1h45min enough from 2F to 2D?
Is there anything we can do if it looks like we won't catch the connecting flight in time?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by brailleun
Uh-huh, I'm feeling little bit uncertain about whether or not me and my friend will have enough time to catch our connection flight in CDG.

The case is this: We will arrive at 2D from Helsinki to CDG, by Air France, and we have two hours to get into 2F so that we are able to catch our flight to Tokyo, also operated by AF. So, which is the quickest way to do the trip and will we be able to make it in time? Do we need to retrieve our luggages in between the flights (I doubt, since we continue with same airline?)?

I have hear too many horror stories about CDG and last time I flied with AF they lost our luggages . Little bit scared.

And on our way back, is 1h45min enough from 2F to 2D?
Is there anything we can do if it looks like we won't catch the connecting flight in time?
Welcome to FlyerTalk ,

Some comments:
- your flight from HEL to CDG is operated by AY and usually has a remote stand
- you do not need to retrieve your luggage upon arrival from HEL
- time from the remote stand to 2D is usually about 10mn; walking from 2D to 2F2 (2F's intercontinental boarding pier) takes about 10-15mn
- you need to clear immigration and security in 2F2
- once you have cleared immigration and security in 2F2, you need 5-10mn to any gate in 2F2

So, 2 hours should be OK if your incoming flight is on time.
1h45mn should also be OK on the way back, flights from NRT are usually on time or ahead of schedule. Walking from 2F2 to 2D would also be the best option.

Enjoy your flights .
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Just noticed this thread.

My questions aren't about connections, as CDG is my final stop. I read back 16 pages, but I need to go do laundry before I leave, so I couldn't read the whole thread.

a) My French is quite rusty so one of my parents, who will already be in Paris, is coming to pick me up at the airport. Should I believe my EI itinerary (cheapest flight!) saying we're landing in Terminal 1, or should I double-check?

b) I already read about the security screeners confiscating carabiners, so I'm not bringing one. Will they also confiscate my *empty* Nalgene bottle? I'm not taking a TATL flight without my own liter bottle for water.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
1 hour connection in CDG

We get these all the time over on the DL forum concerning various ATL connections, but now I have one for you concerning CDG. I am coming in on AF JFK-CDG connecting to CDG-HKG, with a 1 hour layover. Ticket is already booked, but I am worried having been through CDG before. Is this doable?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:05 am

Well, one hour is rather short, but the connection is within the same terminal, 2E, although there are two different boarding piers. On the other hand, worst case scenario, going from one to the other is a 2mn ride on the Lisa automated shuttle train, and a 5mn walk. You do not need to clear immigration, but you will need to go through security. Overall, short but doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.