FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by AGSF
1) Even if the flight is on-time from FCO, can one make this connection?
It is a very tight connection. Your best chance would be that the AF ops centre decides that the connection is still possible and to have you met by an agent who drives or leads you to 2E and rushes you through immigration and security.

2) Specifically, connecting from FCO to the US, I am sure I have to go through security again at CDG2, but is there passport control on the way out, and how long does it take (US passport)?
There is an outgoing passport check. It usually does not take long, especially if you use the fast track lanes. Security can be more of a bottleneck.

3) Is there a "fast track" system at CDG2? For both security and passport control, or just security?
In 2E, yes for both security and passport control.

4) How good are AF staff at meeting pax for tight connections, and how good are AF at holding a long-haul flight for a short-haul incoming passenger?
AF staff are pretty good when meeting pax for tight connections. Unfortunately, you have zero input into the selection process that takes place at the ops centre. Holding a long-haul flight for connecting passengers really depends on the number of passengers involved and a combination of other factors evaluated at the ops centre.

Enjoy your flights
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I'm having a hard time finding Terminal 2 maps. The only one I keep seeing online is the Level 2 Departure gates for 2E and 2F... but what about 2E Arrivals?

An earlier post said that there was a way to get from 2E to 2F without going thru passport control, using a 'travelator'. Has anyone done this, and is it possible to avoid passports?

I will be flying IAH-->CDG into 2E, then connecting at 2F for CDG-->NCE.

Thanks !
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Harry IAH
An earlier post said that there was a way to get from 2E to 2F without going thru passport control, using a 'travelator'. Has anyone done this, and is it possible to avoid passports?
I've done it both directions. You can see the hallway that links S3 and 2F http://correspondances-aeroports.air....fr/_index.php

There's no way to avoid passport control on your connection regardless of how your transfer since CDG is your first point of entry into France/Schengen.

If you were connecting to a non-Schengen destination (as is the case with the earlier poster), you would not go through passport control by taking the hallway. However, this is not possible in your case.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:46 am

Thanks Phil ! The AF info is a little easier to understand that easyCDG. And there are 2 deifferent 2E Terminals - didn't know that.

Hopefully, I will int'l in the curved 2E, so I can just walk across the galerie to 2F.

I have 2 hour connections, so plenty of time, and time enough to sit for s few in the lounge

Cheers
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JOUY31
It is a very tight connection. Your best chance would be that the AF ops centre decides that the connection is still possible and to have you met by an agent who drives or leads you to 2E and rushes you through immigration and security.

There is an outgoing passport check. It usually does not take long, especially if you use the fast track lanes. Security can be more of a bottleneck.

In 2E, yes for both security and passport control.

AF staff are pretty good when meeting pax for tight connections. Unfortunately, you have zero input into the selection process that takes place at the ops centre. Holding a long-haul flight for connecting passengers really depends on the number of passengers involved and a combination of other factors evaluated at the ops centre.

Enjoy your flights
Thank you for your reply. I've been looking at the flights over the last few days, and it seems that most days there is over an hour connection time due to early arrival of the FCO flight and late departure of the SFO flight. So hopefully this will be the case on the day I'm flying and I'll be able to make the connection.

If I miss the connection I'm sure they'll send me through JFK/CVG/ATL, but I really like flying international into SFO. A much more peaceful experience entering the US.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 3:52 pm

Connection time

Would the following connection be workable?
Arrive CDG T2B on BA324 at 2050.
Depart CDG T2F to DXB on AF0530 at 2315.

Would I need to clear immigration, collect my luggage, check-in, etc? I am hoping that I would be able to check my luggage at the BA counter at LHR all the way through to DXB, then check-in for the AF flight at the transfer desk at CDG, without the immigration/security hassle. Has anyone had a similar experience (different PNR & alliances) and would be able to advise?

Alternatively I could take the earlier BA318 which arrives at CDG at 1835, though I would prefer to take the later flight if that's workable. Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by phaleesy
Would the following connection be workable?
Arrive CDG T2B on BA324 at 2050.
Depart CDG T2F to DXB on AF0530 at 2315.

Would I need to clear immigration, collect my luggage, check-in, etc? I am hoping that I would be able to check my luggage at the BA counter at LHR all the way through to DXB, then check-in for the AF flight at the transfer desk at CDG, without the immigration/security hassle. Has anyone had a similar experience (different PNR & alliances) and would be able to advise?

Alternatively I could take the earlier BA318 which arrives at CDG at 1835, though I would prefer to take the later flight if that's workable. Thanks.
It is doable, but it could be a bit tight, as you need to collect your luggage in 2B, because BA will not check through your baggage on separate PNRs on non-partner airlines.

So, you will need to go through immigration (no fast track lane in 2B) and wait for your luggage. It will probably take about 30mn.

You then need to walk to the TGV station and then to 2F, to the second and more distant check-in area that serves the non-Schengen boarding pier. This should take about 15mn. You can check-in online 30 hours before the departure time and there is a dedicated premium check-in / baggage drop zone for Elite and premium passengers. There is also a fast track lane "Access n°1" located to the left of the standard lanes, for both immigration and security. Once you have cleared security, it is a 5mn walk to any gate or the AF lounge.

So, it is definitely doable, but the BA aircraft operating the LHR-CDG flight could have accumulated some delay over the length of the days and its different rotations out of LHR.

On the way back, it is somewhat easier, as AF has no problem checking your baggage through from DXB to LHR, even on separate PNRs with non-partner airlines. The only downside is that the route taken by the airside bus is the longest possible one from 2F to 2B via Terminal 1, whereas it would have been just one stop from 2B to 2F ... The airside bus runs every 7-9mn, but the ride itself could take 20-25mn, without any immigration check.

Enjoy your flights

Last edited by JOUY31; Nov 12, 2008 at 2:09 am
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
CDG Arrivals Lounges

Hello. I will be arriving in to CDG next week on a DL flight. On an economy class ticket with SkyTeam Elite (CO) status, is any arrivals lounge available to me? If not, is there any arrivals lounge in to which I could buy access?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by smg77
Hello. I will be arriving in to CDG next week on a DL flight. On an economy class ticket with SkyTeam Elite (CO) status, is any arrivals lounge available to me? If not, is there any arrivals lounge in to which I could buy access?

Many thanks.
Sorry, no chance whatsoever. Not sure about CO Elite plus, but with just SkyTeam Elite status you don't get access to any AF lounge when flying Y. There's only the AF arrivals lounge in CDG, and you can't buy access to it.

In fact, as far as I know, there are no lounges (arrivals or departure) at all in CDG which offer access on a pay-per-entry basis.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:20 am

smg - just making sure that you are SkyTeam Elite (CO Gold), and not Elite Plus (CO Platinum), correct?

Gold access doesn't get you into a lounge - Platinum will on an international economy ticket, same day of travel.

Perhaps you could just hold up your card real fast as you swoosh by the desk.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the replies. As it happens, I will reach CO Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus status about halfway over the Atlantic on my way to Paris, so maybe lounge access will be available on the return (which will be on AF metal)?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:35 pm

Your status might be there, IF the miles are posted to your account in time. Also, you won't have a card to prove you are +. AF would have to work and check their computer ...
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Your status might be there, IF the miles are posted to your account in time. Also, you won't have a card to prove you are +. AF would have to work and check their computer ...
well, depending on how long of a timespan there is between his outbound and return flight, he always might try to print his online statement page and/or get CO customer service to send him a fax confirming his Elite+ status...
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:28 pm

My CDG experience

Just thought I'd share my recent CDG experiences:

In October, flew Continental into 2A, arrived a bit early (5:45) but then waited 1/2 hour for the jetway to be attached. I really wanted to walk to 2F to catch our connection to TLS, but we were shuffled down a stairway into a tiny waiting room and ended up in a line for a bus. When I asked a French airport official if I could walk to 2F, she said it wasn't possible. So, we got on the bus, trundled around to 2F and then sat around waiting for our 10:45 flight to TLS. On the return trip, we were flying MRS to TLS. For some reason, they could not book us onto the connecting flight in CDG. He said he would send a telex, but I don't think he did. We had a little over an hour to catch the Continental flight out of 2A, so we made sure NOT to take the pokey bus, but ran as fast as we could through the terminal. They had closed ticketing for the flight when we got there but with much commotion and running back and forth to a little closet area, we got a boarding pass and were off at a run when I realized they had only booked one of us. We just caught them closing up shop and got the other boarding pass. Meanwhile, armed soldiers were herding everyone out of the area (we still don't know why). When we got to Newark connecting to BOS, our luggage wasn't there so we had to have it delivered a day or so later.

In November, I was trying to get to Prague, but couldn't get on the same connection with my husband, so booked a separate flight on Lufthansa. I was so nervous about finding my way to Terminal 1, that I gave myself 3 hours to get there. Even though I once again ended up on the bus that took an agonizingly long time (well about 20 minutes) to get to T1, I still ended up with 2 1/2 hours to spare. If I had found the CDGVAL, I'm sure it would have been better. It was confusing going to T1 as they started talking about Satellite 1 or 2, but I asked for Lufthansa and got off at the right spot. Coming home, Air France was on strike and we were rebooked direct to JFK, so no CDG nightmares.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM, 1MM
Smile Yet another connection question

Hi,
Once again, I throw myself on the alter of your collective wisdom as I ask for some information
I am a US citizen arriving at CDG on AF 67 from Los Angeles at 17:30 on Dec 11 (Arrival terminal unknown - itinerary simply says Terminal 2)
I am connecting to AF 1880 to LHR at 19:20 out of Terminal 2E
I assume that I remain airside and don't have to pass through immigration, but even so it looks rather tight to me.
Any advise if we do not arrive at 2E?
Do I walk it, and if so what is the quickest route?
Or do I catch the airside bus?
Thanks in advance for your amazing patience in dealing with these and other questions.
Regards,
Jonni

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.