Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:32 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
We'll be traveling from JFK to Rome via CDG in May. Arrival time in CDG is 6:00 am & the departure time is 7:15 am. I just called AF desk and was told that the arrival terminal is 2E and depature terminal is 2F and the desk assured me that 1:15 mins is enough time. Is it? What is the shortest route between 2E & 2F?

Thank you.
It could be a bit tight. It depends on the time required from landing to reaching 2E, and the time needed to clear immigration in 2E.

In any case, your only option is walking landside and it is actually very quick. Once you have cleared immigration and gone through the baggage retrieval area, take the "Galerie", a wide, airy glass enclosed passageway to 2F, over a set of moving walkways with large photographs of Charles de Gaulle (the statesman, not the airport ); this should take you at most 5mn. Once you arrive in 2F, take the escalator right in front of the moving walkways you have been using and go up to the departures level (1mn), turn left and head to the entrance to the Schengen pier of 2F (2mn). There is a fast track security line for premium cabin and SkyTeam Elite and Elite + passengers. This line can also be used for flights that are nearly closing; these flights are displayed on a TFT screen to the right of the security lines . Once you have cleared security, walking to any gate should take you less than 5mn.

So, overall, a very easy connection. The tricky parts would be the arrival time, the bus to 2E, immigration in 2E and security in 2F. In any case, the next flights to FCO are scheduled for 08:50 and 09:45.

Enjoy your flights.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: alaska mileage plan
hi guys.

here's my situation.
i'm traveling from sea to jnb in september.flight from sea lands around noon and flight to jnb doesn't leave until elevenish in the evening. i have to apply for a visa for a daytrip into paris and at this point the visa option really does not appear to be very cost effective.

i'll be arriving and leaving from 2E. is there anywhere i can walk to or go do some exploring. i also do not have access to any lounges, unless i'm able to clear immigration, which i doubt is going to happen. so what do i do?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by zoenkie_25
i'll be arriving and leaving from 2E. is there anywhere i can walk to or go do some exploring. i also do not have access to any lounges, unless i'm able to clear immigration, which i doubt is going to happen. so what do i do?
I'm afraid CDG is a very poor airport for people in your situation. You often see people sleeping on the floor there. If you can afford €25 and you can make it to the international side of T1, there is an Icare lounge there that you might be able to buy your way into. Level 10 between satellites 3 and 4. There should be a bus running over there inside of customs.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: alaska mileage plan
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm afraid CDG is a very poor airport for people in your situation. You often see people sleeping on the floor there. If you can afford €25 and you can make it to the international side of T1, there is an Icare lounge there that you might be able to buy your way into. Level 10 between satellites 3 and 4. There should be a bus running over there inside of customs.
regarding the icare lounge, i could prbly buy a priority pass, which is $99. i'll gladly pay that plus the extra (i think $24 per visit) to get into the icare lounge. i was just what side of immigration the lounge is in. there's also one or two other lounges i can get access to with the priority pass at cdg, sea and jnb.

that being said, i have never heard of priority pass and have no idea how easily members can get access. for instance, in 2A it can get you access in to AA's admiral's club and in 2B, the swiss lounge. say for instance a lounge is pretty full, am i still guranteed access or is it pretty much dependant on how the airline employee feels?i dont' think i can get there in any case.

i'm also still waiting to here back from the french consulate wether i can apply and pick up a visa without physically presenting myself at the consulate.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoenkie_25
that being said, i have never heard of priority pass and have no idea how easily members can get access.
http://www.prioritypass.com/
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:47 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred
I have a unique situation I hope I can be given advice on. I'm based in the US but currently on a business trip in India. I decided on my return to the US to divert to Europe for a week-long impromptu family vacation. My girlfriend and son will be meeting me at CDG, our flights arrive in different terminals within a few hours of each other.

Me: Air France #135 BOM-CDG, arriving in Terminal 2A on April 28, 8:10 AM CEST
Them: Northwest #50 DTW-CDG, arriving in Terminal 2E on April 28, 11:20AM

I've read all the pages of this thread and it seems that I will not be able to meet them at their gate in 2E since I would have to clear security at 2E and wouldn't have a boarding pass. Is this correct? If so, what is a suggested place to meet close to/in 2E? Baggage claim? Will I be able to access the baggage claim area?

Unrelated, we fly out of AMS a week later with no hard plans (no hotels, trains, etc. booked in advance) between CDG and AMS. We want to do random things and stay in whatever areas/cities/countries we find appealing. Aside from higher costs because of no advanced bookings, is this a dumb thing to do while traveling with a 5 year old? Or is it looked at as an exciting adventure?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:06 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by essteepee
I have a unique situation I hope I can be given advice on. I'm based in the US but currently on a business trip in India. I decided on my return to the US to divert to Europe for a week-long impromptu family vacation. My girlfriend and son will be meeting me at CDG, our flights arrive in different terminals within a few hours of each other.

Me: Air France #135 BOM-CDG, arriving in Terminal 2A on April 28, 8:10 AM CEST
Them: Northwest #50 DTW-CDG, arriving in Terminal 2E on April 28, 11:20AM

I've read all the pages of this thread and it seems that I will not be able to meet them at their gate in 2E since I would have to clear security at 2E and wouldn't have a boarding pass. Is this correct? If so, what is a suggested place to meet close to/in 2E? Baggage claim? Will I be able to access the baggage claim area?
True. And you won't be able to access the baggage claim area, either. So the best meeting place would be the lobby of the Sheraton hotel, which is right above the TGV station and halfway between 2A and 2E. Unfortunately, the lobby bar itself opens only around 11:00 AM, but there are comfortable armchairs in the lobby itself, and American breakfast is quite good.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essteepee
Unrelated, we fly out of AMS a week later with no hard plans (no hotels, trains, etc. booked in advance) between CDG and AMS. We want to do random things and stay in whatever areas/cities/countries we find appealing. Aside from higher costs because of no advanced bookings, is this a dumb thing to do while traveling with a 5 year old? Or is it looked at as an exciting adventure?
I would definitely take the train between CDG and AMS. You could stop halfway and spend a day or two in Belgium. Antwerp is a beautiful city especially now with the good weather. There are always lots of kids on the train and the costs are not that high even at the last minute. The train actually stops at Schiphol airport (AMS) or you can continue all the way into the Amsterdam Central station.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:07 am

JOUY31, thank you for such a detailed answer to my question (post# 483). One more question, our final destination is Rome (FCO), change over @ CDG, do we have to clear immigration @ CDG?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by kiyotaka
JOUY31, thank you for such a detailed answer to my question (post# 483). One more question, our final destination is Rome (FCO), change over @ CDG, do we have to clear immigration @ CDG?
Yes, you will have to clear immigration in CDG, as you are connecting to a flight to Italy, which is a Schengen zone country, as is France.
Old May 1, 2007, 3:49 pm
jhm

I'll be arriving at CDG at 22:50 on Fri 1 Jun. The FAQ says that the options for getting into Paris are the Roissybus, Air France coaches and the train but they're all shut by midnight.

Given that I'm staying until Sunday and want to bump up my SPG count, is it better to stay the first night in the CDG Sheraton and then move to another hotel ? Or take a taxi into Paris on arrival (how much would this be ?) and then mattress run between two ?

I did a search about the CDG Sheraton and one post said that it's very hot in summer ?!?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old May 1, 2007, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jhm
I'll be arriving at CDG at 22:50 on Fri 1 Jun. The FAQ says that the options for getting into Paris are the Roissybus, Air France coaches and the train but they're all shut by midnight.

Given that I'm staying until Sunday and want to bump up my SPG count, is it better to stay the first night in the CDG Sheraton and then move to another hotel ? Or take a taxi into Paris on arrival (how much would this be ?) and then mattress run between two ?

I did a search about the CDG Sheraton and one post said that it's very hot in summer ?!?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi, jhm. It was great seeing you again in Toulouse

During one of my five or so stays at the Sheraton CDG, the A/C was malfunctioning, so it was indeed quite hot. Otherwise, it is usually fine and I usually enjoy having a drink there before plunging into the evening traffic. It is a 7mn walk through the CDG2 complex from CDG 2B. Taxi would cost you about EUR 60 late in the evening.

Regarding your SPG options around Paris, you would have
- the Westin Trianon Palace in Versailles (if you don't mind being outside Paris, it is a very nice hotel, at least in the main building, not the Pavillon, next door to the Royal Palace and gardens, wirh a very nice indoor swimming pool and a Michelin starred chef, Gerard Vie, who is retiring soon)
- the Prince de Galles (no personal experience)
- the Westin rue de Castiglione (formerly an IC, not as nice as Le Grand, with some very nice rooms and some not so good)
- the Meridien Montparnasse (nothing special, business and tour operator hotel)
- the Meridien Porte Maillot (easy ride back to CDG with an AF coach, otherwise uninspiring business hotel)

Personally, I would stay the first night at the Sheraton CDG and enjoy the Saturday night in Paris rather than the reverse.

Last edited by JOUY31; May 1, 2007 at 4:20 pm
Old May 1, 2007, 4:18 pm
jhm

Thanks, JOUY31 for your quick reply! Yes, it was good to see you and the rest of the AF gang again!

OK - I'll keep my reservation at the CDG Sheraton and move into town the next morning. Now I only need to find a decent place to eat which is open AND has availability for that Saturday night...

Edit: perhaps the info about the taxi cost can be added to Chris's excellent CDG FAQ ?
Old May 3, 2007, 4:54 pm

Question CDG 2D to 2E Connection

Mrs. Bulldog, 13-year-old Jr. Bulldog and myself will be returning MUC-CDG-DTW in a few weeks. AF1123 arrives at CDG at 08:55, normally in Terminal 2D (if I am reading things correctly). AF374 departs for DTW at 10:20 from Terminal 2E. It has been a few years since I have been through CDG -- what is the best way to get from 2D to 2E? Any tips for improving our chances of making this connection (besides rescheduling on a later flight!)? Is there an airside shuttle if things are getting close?

I know this is a tighter connection than I would prefer, but it is what it is, and if we miss it we'll deal with that. At least there are later flights that day.

Thanks.

Bulldog
Old May 3, 2007, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bulldog
Mrs. Bulldog, 13-year-old Jr. Bulldog and myself will be returning MUC-CDG-DTW in a few weeks. AF1123 arrives at CDG at 08:55, normally in Terminal 2D (if I am reading things correctly). AF374 departs for DTW at 10:20 from Terminal 2E. It has been a few years since I have been through CDG -- what is the best way to get from 2D to 2E? Any tips for improving our chances of making this connection (besides rescheduling on a later flight!)? Is there an airside shuttle if things are getting close?

I know this is a tighter connection than I would prefer, but it is what it is, and if we miss it we'll deal with that. At least there are later flights that day.

Thanks.

Bulldog
There is no airside shuttle from 2D, as it is a Schengen terminal. You should walk over to the TGV station, and then to 2E. It will take you about 10mn between 2D and 2E. When departing from 2E, there are two different groups of gates. One in a boarding area a few minutes walk from the main 2E building (gates E7x) and one in a remote satellite, satellite H (gates E8x) that you reach by and airside bus from 2E. If your connection gets tight and your flight leaves from the remote satellite, AF ops can decide to have you driven directly from 2D to the remote satellite. In any case, you will need to clear immigration (leaving France) and security for your flight.

Enjoy your flights .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.