Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 5A1 - Paris CDG Airport FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:49 am

not enough time...

Originally Posted by JOUY31
It's a bit tight. A lot depends on your actual arrival time in the 2C building. From there, you need to :
- go through immigration in 2C
- go through the baggage retrieval area and go to the arrivals lounge (5mn)
- there are 14 showers there and there is usually no queue
- leaving the arrivals lounge, go to the food court located between 2C and 2A, go down one level by escalator, go through the car rentals/post office/mini market area and take the escalator on the other side, one level up, where you are in front of the food court located between 2B and 2D, head towards 2B - maximum time : 10mn
- go through immigration in 2B
- go through security at the gate

If your incoming flight is exactly on time or somewhat late, I would skip the arrivals lounge and take the airside shuttle going from 2C to 2B with an intermediate stop at 2A, bypassing the two immigration checks.
So, even if I have no checked luggage, I should probably just take the shuttle and go to the next gate. How many immigration/customs/security checks will I encounter doing that?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by imjudyp
So, even if I have no checked luggage, I should probably just take the shuttle and go to the next gate. How many immigration/customs/security checks will I encounter doing that?
There should only be one security check--at the gate at 2B. (2B is set up so that there is one security entrance for every 2-3 gates; unfortunately, with only one x-ray machine usually operating per cluster [very rarely there are two], it can get kind of backed uo at times.)
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Krisflyer Gold, Die-hard Saint's fan !
There is also one Internet workstation.
2 internet stations my dear...
and many cooked meats since a couple of months
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:56 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Serpentos
2 internet stations my dear...
I stand corrected
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I stand corrected
Well, mybexperience is that most of the very few AF internet stations are out of order, so one was an optimistic assesment.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:47 pm

Programs: LH M&M, SK EuroBonus, AF/KL FB, Aegean Airlines Miles&Bonus
Greetings to everyone in this forum, I am considering taking AF from OSL to ATH via CDG. This will be a part of a trip to SKG for the Christmas holidays, with a different ticket on Aegean domestically. I was wondering if there are any experienced travellers around here who could give me some information about CDG 2D. I understand that no change is needed as both flights arrive and depart at the same Hall. But I have read horrible things about the terminals and connecting flights at CDG 2, dirty, unhelpful staff, etc. But I speak some french, so I suppose that this should help a bit if info is needed.
Is there a great chance of me not getting my checked baggage at the destination? What about ontime performance? If I miss the domestic ATH to SKG flight, then I have to purchase a new ticket... rather risky and costly at the last minute, this I must say. But it has been so long since I flown AF, actually as a child very long ago, and I was wondering if I should go for it or give some more money and fly OS through VIE directly to SKG.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By ISthmus, you mean the trailer park loicated four kms away on the periphery of the airport right? The one that involved another TWO busses and a lot of walking?

With four hours you should not have any problems, anything under TWO becomes hairy.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
CDG 2D to CDG1 - Transfers with New Security Measures

My brother and his family will be transferring thru CDG in mid-October.

Arrival 9:10AM CDG 2D on AF5049 from FLR
Departing 1:00PM CDG 1 on UA915 to IAD

From Florence, they plan to check bags to Paris and from Baggage Claim they will transfer to CDG 1. Is it still correct to say that from 2D, they will need to take the Aéroports de Paris shuttle (line 1) from the Departures level, Door 22? How frequent is Shuttle Line 1?

With the new security measures for flights to the US, should they be worried about the connection times? They're flying economy on AF and UA.

They want to make sure that their luggage makes the UA flight and so they are willing to only check bags with AF from FLR-CDG. They're not so sure what would happen to checked bags for a transfer to a UA flight departing from Terminal 1.

Last edited by Mr. Strong; Aug 29, 2006 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by kimandvl
If I miss the domestic ATH to SKG flight, then I have to purchase a new ticket... rather risky and costly at the last minute, this I must say.
My own experience with A3 is that, in those cases, they often allow you to fly with your "invalid" ticket, but charge you a little extra; in other words, you don't loose your money. On the other hand, they have so many ATH-SKG flights that you could book a later flight.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:14 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by hfly
By ISthmus, you mean the trailer park loicated four kms away on the periphery of the airport right? The one that involved another TWO busses and a lot of walking?

With four hours you should not have any problems, anything under TWO becomes hairy.
well, no. The isthmus is the area between the check-in area and the currently closed gates area. It is actually a small building, especially from the passenger's viewpoint.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Well, mybexperience is that most of the very few AF internet stations are out of order, so one was an optimistic assesment.
My personal experience is about one out of five non operational. I am more annoyed by the lack of workstations in a few remaining lounges, such as GVA, LHR (at least the last time I was there, I'll see next week). But I am moving off topic.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:35 pm

Another tight connection...

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the great info on this thread. A couple of questions still to the experts if I may?

I will be connecting in CDG flying from HEL to terminal 2D and connecting to MEX on AM (AF codeshare) that was supposed to depart from 2E. Due to the security measures that might then be 2C. I am flying in January.

I will be flying on a J class award ticket. The question is whether there will be somebody to accompany me to the boarding gate as mentioned in AF website? The reason I might need this service is that the transfer time is only 50 minutes.

Thanks,

Niko
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:57 am

Thanks so much for this thread. I also need some advice. I will arrive from Bangkok in terminal 2E and will need to transfer to terminal 2D to Pisa. My bags will be checked through to Pisa. I carry a Thai passport and have a Schengen visa (will I need to go through immigration at CDG or in Pisa?).

What is the fastest way for me to make my connecting flight? Could you give me a break-down of how to do this in the 70 minutes that I will have?

To : PARIS CDG 2E
Arrival : 6:25 am

To : PISA
Departure : 7:35 am
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by seatalay
Thanks so much for this thread. I also need some advice. I will arrive from Bangkok in terminal 2E and will need to transfer to terminal 2D to Pisa. My bags will be checked through to Pisa. I carry a Thai passport and have a Schengen visa (will I need to go through immigration at CDG or in Pisa?).

What is the fastest way for me to make my connecting flight? Could you give me a break-down of how to do this in the 70 minutes that I will have?

To : PARIS CDG 2E
Arrival : 6:25 am

To : PISA
Departure : 7:35 am
So, you will need to clear immigration, upon arrival in CDG 2E, as you are entering the Schengen area. Once you have cleared immigration, you need to :
- go through the baggage retrievals area on the ground floor, where you may be subject to a cursory customs check of your carry-ons
- go towards the other end of the terminal on the ground floor, heading towards the TGV station (5mn)
- take the escalator (not the elevator, which goes to the departures level) up one level, use the moving walkways and reach the TGV station (5mn)
- cross over from the South side of the terminal to the North side, in front of the Sheraton hotel (1mn, you are still inside the terminal, there is no hazardous road crossing involved)
- turn left and take the moving walkways toward CDG 2D (5mn)
- go through security to enter the boarding area, which is one single entity, so you can go through any security checkpoint. (5-10mn)

Three additional points :
- your incoming aircraft will most probably have a remote stand, so you should factor in an additional 15-20mn to reach the CDG 2E terminal building
- as you will have a regional aircraft for your flight to PSA, you will be boarding by bus from CDG 2D.
- as AF has transferred many US flights to CDG 2E, immigration at 2E will probably be undergoing some changes, so this is the major unknown in terms of time needed, for your connection.

Enjoy your flights
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by niko
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the great info on this thread. A couple of questions still to the experts if I may?

I will be connecting in CDG flying from HEL to terminal 2D and connecting to MEX on AM (AF codeshare) that was supposed to depart from 2E. Due to the security measures that might then be 2C. I am flying in January.

I will be flying on a J class award ticket. The question is whether there will be somebody to accompany me to the boarding gate as mentioned in AF website? The reason I might need this service is that the transfer time is only 50 minutes.

Thanks,

Niko
When arriving at CDG 2D, you will be immediately in the public area. If you are not accompanied by AF to the gate, you should :
- go to the food court located between 2D and 2B (5mn)
- take the escalator down one level, go through the car rentals, post office and mini-market area, and take the escalator up one level on the other side, where you arrive in front of the food court located between 2A and 2C(5mn).
- walk over to passport check at 2C (3mn)
- go through passport check
- go through security check
- go to your gate (once you have cleared security, you need 5mn at most to reach your gate).

Your AY incoming flight may have a remote stand, in which case, you need an additional 15mn to arrive into the CDG 2D building.

Regarding the benefit advertised on the AF web site, I have not had a connection to a TATL flight at CDG since it became public policy. I did experience it before, when it was not public policy. I would say you need to check with your AF contact points.

Enjoy your flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.